Fredo gotta be the saddest character in movie history

Reece

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
All the kids had some of Vito's qualities except they had far too much of it. Fredo had Vito's kindness but, had too much. Made him weak. Michael had Vito's intelligence and the ability to make cold ruthless decisions. Had too much of it. Made him lose everyone in the end. Sonny had Vito's toughness. Obviously had way too much. Got him killed. Would've been a terrible don too. Vito had the perfect blend of it all :hubie: Knew when to show love and compassion. Knew when to murk nikkas in broad daylight. Knew when to play politics and move shrewdly.

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
Mike had to take Fredo out. Son was treacherous AND stupid. Can u imagine if the FBI woulda found Fredo first?! He’d be a million times worse than Pentagelli. Fredo had too many mistakes, he had to go.....He gave Mike’s chief rival personal insider business info on the Corleone Family, LIED about not knowing Johnny Ola, started that Senate investigation on Mike, got Mike and his fam shot at, prolly told Roth about Pentagelli chaffing under Mike’s rule, plus, Mike saw first hand how greedy n blood thirsty the other NY families are, he had to make an example outta Fredo to show them “Corleones DO NOT PLAY, TRY ME WATCH WHAT HAPPENS, ILL KILL MY OWN BROTHER, SO NO TELLING WHAT ILL DO TO YOU.....plus Mike told Fredo in the First Godfather......”U my brother, I love u......but never take sides against the family again....NEVER.”

Why ya think Vito retired n gave the fam to Mike? He knew the way he did business was DONE. A whole new era was HERE. Vito knew if he’d stayed on as Don at that period of time he’d have to do sum wiiiiiild shyt to stay in power and to protect his family (basically what Mike did when he massacred the heads of the 5 families, killed his brother in law Carlo, taking over Vegas, killing a family member Fredo).

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
The thing is...this crime shyt isn't really supposed to be above family for Vito Corleone. Vito was forced into it because he had to fight back after how his mother/father/brother were murdered.

That's exactly why Fredo putting Mike's family, Vito's family by default, at risk would be so flagrant. Vito literally says "a real man takes care of his children".

Vito couldn't kill his son in law, so he gave the task to Mike - he knew Carlo had to go. I'm not saying he'd be :yeshrug: over Mike killing Fredo, but he would at some level understand.

Of course if Vito was alive I doubt Fredo would be so flagrant.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Fredo is a tragic person, but Michael is the most saddest. Its all about American greed.

Fredo was never meant for the Mob life, too kind, maybe autistic/gay. All he wanted to do was to help the family, but he lacked the smarts or courage. His downfall was trying to prove himself, as he didn't know Ola was planning a hit on Mike and lying about not knowing.

At most he should have been kicked out of the family. Instead Michael was too far gone, as he went against his "This is not who I am" when instead he is much worse.

He didn't have to shoot Sollazzo/McCluskey, but he wanted to out of revenge.

He didn't have to kill Moe Green (which in turn got Fredo killed, exposed Michael to the Senate with Frank Pentangeli by accident), but wanted to because of Greed

He didn't have to kill Fredo, but did because he viewed the Mob as family, and forgot what family was. He thought he was smart and found out that he fukked up everything by his own hand. The last scene in Godfather 3 said it all, a broken man dying by a stroke in a chair with NO family.

Donald J Trump

H.N.I.C
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
USA
Not just this, he brought the enemy to the Corleone home. So Vito's daughter in law and more importantly grandkids could've hit strays.

I truly think Vito would be :scust: at Mike for killing his brother but also :hubie:at Mike for protecting his family.

He might've cut personal ties with him but Mike had a legit reason as a Don and as a family man to take Fredo out. Vito, a man who kept Luca Brasi on deck, would've understood this.
Luca Brasí is so feared, I feel like the movie didn’t show me why tho

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
fukk that Fredo was a great character. He made the family more realer imo. Everybody has a fukk up in their family. But to keep it 100, Sonny was a bigger fukk up if you ask me.. Nasty temper, didn't think anything through really, and he's the one who started off the entire whole war when he spoke in favor of the deal with the Turk Solazo during the sit down meeting. Fredo was the schmoozer- errand boy of the family but wasn't really built for that gangster shyt plus he knew pops really loved Michael the most.. and that did him in at the end.

-He fukked up with the Jonny Ola/Hyman Roth deal... but he didn't know it would go that far as to an actual attempt on Mike's life. He just wanted some money on the side.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this thread speaks volumes on the greatness the TG is (book and movies)

what i want to say in regards to this and sad is the actor that played Fredo masterfully... huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge actor

salute to John Cazale, a tragic life with a filmography like no other

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
this thread speaks volumes on the greatness the TG is (book and movies)

what i want to say in regards to this and sad is the actor that played Fredo masterfully... huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge actor

salute to John Cazale, a tragic life with a filmography like no other

He only appeared in what? Five movies? Yet he got rub elbows with Brando, Pacino, DeNiro, Hackman, Streep - and he even got his own documentary. :wow: