Fredo gotta be the saddest character in movie history

Fortunate Lee

Superstar
Daps
I wonder if Sonny would have had Fredo wacked like Mike did. Or how he would have just reacted in general. :patrice:
Sonny was a hothead but he loved his family to death..and it literally cost him his life. I think he would have disciplined Fredo but not kill him. Mike was very coldblooded, Sonny had a warm personality.

They killed Sonny character too quick..James Caan was special in that role.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I wonder if Sonny would have had Fredo wacked like Mike did. Or how he would have just reacted in general. :patrice:
In this very video you can see Michael is emotionless compared to the rest of his family. What Sonny would have done is beat the crap outta Fredo to a bloody pulp on some, "WHY YOU DO IT FREDO! WHY YOU DO IT!" while crying. In the end he would disciple Fredo like @Riffi said but it would be a while. Prior to that Sonny would say, "you dead to the family" and banish him but ONLY temporarily.

Michael on the other hand is a different breed.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Fredo NEVER wanted to kill Michael. He just wanted to prove to the family that he wasn't a fukk up. Was Johnny Ola came to him, he didn't know that what he told them would lead to an assassination attempt. So when he came to Cuba, he tried to keep everything hidden because he was afraid of his younger brother.

Who opened the drapes in Mike's bedroom? It could only have been Fredo unless there was an accomplice high enough in the family to have access to the house like that.

Fredo was already lying when he gets that call, I don't think that proves his innocence at all. It reinforces how he already had a guilty conscience, to me.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Fredo is a tragic person, but Michael is the most saddest. Its all about American greed.

Fredo was never meant for the Mob life, too kind, maybe autistic/gay. All he wanted to do was to help the family, but he lacked the smarts or courage. His downfall was trying to prove himself, as he didn't know Ola was planning a hit on Mike and lying about not knowing.

At most he should have been kicked out of the family. Instead Michael was too far gone, as he went against his "This is not who I am" when instead he is much worse.

He didn't have to shoot Sollazzo/McCluskey, but he wanted to out of revenge.

He didn't have to kill Moe Green (which in turn got Fredo killed, exposed Michael to the Senate with Frank Pentangeli by accident), but wanted to because of Greed

He didn't have to kill Fredo, but did because he viewed the Mob as family, and forgot what family was. He thought he was smart and found out that he fukked up everything by his own hand. The last scene in Godfather 3 said it all, a broken man dying by a stroke in a chair with NO family.

I disagree with a few of these points. Fredo wasn't innocent. The "mousetrap" scene when Michael finds him and Fredo snaps "I was passed ova!" That's when he knew Fredo wasn't a useful idiot, he had malice towards him. So Fredo had to die, just too dumb and hateful to be trusted.

Sollazzo had to die too. Michael points out that for Sollazzo, "Pops is the key." He needs to take down the Don to remove the political muscle he has that would make doing business too hard for him. He even says it with that classic line "It's business not personal [sic]"

Mo Green was business too. The family was getting pushed out of NY and they needed a new base of operations. Mo Green didn't want to play ball so he had to go.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I disagree with a few of these points. Fredo wasn't innocent. The "mousetrap" scene when Michael finds him and Fredo snaps "I was passed ova!" That's when he knew Fredo wasn't a useful idiot, he had malice towards him. So Fredo had to die, just too dumb and hateful to be trusted.

Sollazzo had to die too. Michael points out that for Sollazzo, "Pops is the key." He needs to take down the Don to remove the political muscle he has that would make doing business too hard for him. He even says it with that classic line "It's business not personal [sic]"

Mo Green was business too. The family was getting pushed out of NY and they needed a new base of operations. Mo Green didn't want to play ball so he had to go.

Fredo didn't have to go. He wasn't a threat. A non factor. Mike could have exiled him.

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Fredo didn't have to go. He wasn't a threat. A non factor. Mike could have exiled him.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." If Fredo was out in the streets, he could still be plotting on him. And you see how evreyone in the family has him made out to be the bad guy, sneaking people into the house behind his back. There's no way he could trust that his family wouldn't unwittingly allow Fredo to set up another hit.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." If Fredo was out in the streets, he could still be plotting on him. And you see how evreyone in the family has him made out to be the bad guy, sneaking people into the house behind his back. There's no way he could trust that his family wouldn't unwittingly allow Fredo to set up another hit.

You saw on that phone call that Fredo didn't mean for that shyt to happen. Killing your own brother is some shyt you don't come back from.

Geek Nasty

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
You saw on that phone call that Fredo didn't mean for that shyt to happen. Killing your own brother is some shyt you don't come back from.
What did Fredo say though, paraphrasing "I dind' tthink it was a hit I just thought they were goign to scare him a little bit." Now, whether he meant it or not you can't trust somebody like that in your circle. He help somebody spray bullets into his bedroom in the middle of the night where him and his wife sleep, but that's OK because he thought they wouldn't hurt anybody???

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What did Fredo say though, paraphrasing "I dind' tthink it was a hit I just thought they were goign to scare him a little bit." Now, whether he meant it or not you can't trust somebody like that in your circle. He help somebody spray bullets into his bedroom in the middle of the night where him and his wife sleep, but that's OK because he thought they wouldn't hurt anybody???

Nobody said it was OK. But that's still your brother. That's why that shyt ate him up when he got older.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
I don't think Michael should have him killed, banished from the family yea, but then again he did try to have Michael killed. Eye for an eye I guess...

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City

Who opened the drapes?

I think that call shows Fredo already panicking and putting on an act, he even lies "I don't know who you are, don't call here anymore".