Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
If you ever watched Sopranos that line was pretty easy to catch.

The next line though....

I had to Google who that was.

Fred.

yea but it's not just Johnny Sac being at the top but the fact he had to "baby Tony" (keep him and their family in line) because NY never really respected them. As the series goes on and Tony gains more power he becomes pretty disrespectful until the ultimate war they had with NY, which all takes place after Sacramoni goes away.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:dwillhuh:

Not really understanding the time line here.

I updated the OP with the new info once this became the official thread....but I started this thread in December 2016 because Blair Norf said he heard the album.
How did he hear the album if they recorded most of it in 2017? :jbhmm:

Did they have a whole other album recorded, and decided to start over after Gibbs got out of prison? :jbhmm:

Fred.
:jbhmm:

I think you're right, there were likely two different eras of the album. In late 2015+2016 the album was likely consisted of beats that Madlib later gave to Kanye. The Life Of Pablo came out that year, and we learned that a large batch of beats were given to Kanye and Kendrick. Including Cocaine Parties in LA

Second era/phase was 2017 when Gibbs got out of jail. I'd imagine some of the 2015/2016 work ended up on the album but perhaps he largely rapped over a new set of beats during this phase.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
shyt def not fire like y'all saying:francis:

Some of these beats are fukking horrible

shyt good if u take off certain songs

A few songs are def fire tho

Album no where near the Freddie album:wow:

Breh Freddie is Gibbs most generic and uninspired album. Dude admitted that he made that shyt just fukking around and freestyling because they wasn't ready to release Bandana yet.

But this album is something special. The subtle detail in the production is fantastic when you listen intently.

The mixing does feel lacking in certain areas as far as Fred's vocals. His vocals are drowned out sometimes. With good headphones it's no problem at all, but in the whip it stands out.

I also wish Madlib let some the beats breathe at the end, he stayed cutting them shyts off early.

It gets better with each listen to me, John Gotti Karate would've made this shyt perfect.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Crazy to think this might be even BETTER than Pinata. I’m still in the honeymoon period with this album but after a few spins I’m saying it’s at least on par.
After just a first playthrough for myself, I felt like the production and rhymes were even tighter here than Pinata, which is a personal favorite of mine.

Freddie / Madlib came through with the James Cameron Aliens of hip hop albums :whew::ohlawd:

CHICAGOrilla

All Star
Daps
Bruh I need a a instrumental or Freddie-less version of this album. I cant fukking stand his voice but, these beats:noah:

And why Lord Quas on the cover but not the album:mjcry: