Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
Wow just finished the album
I don't even know how to process what I just listened to.

These nikkas didn't just release an album they made a statement putting every nikka in the game on notice.
I don't think anybody this year will top this. I haven't had music touch my soul like this in a long time.

I hope everybody that asked for a link is going to support and buy the album.
Music like this shouldn't be treated like its just another download from Datpiff.

This is ART right here.

I absolutely bought it :wow:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
I had this track on repeat for hours earlier. pusha and gibbs could be the next rae and ghost.
I don't know if I'm ready for this :mjcry:

With that said, I really just listen to Pusha's verse on this more than anything else really. We need a Pusha and Lib album badly. shyt may take another 5 years though if it actually happens :francis:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
I believe him. Dude used some Fisher Price toy for Madvillain

DorG1SSXoAATVPG.jpg

:mindblown:
:highjada::highjada::highjada::highjada::highjada::highjada:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
The mixing does feel lacking in certain areas as far as Fred's vocals. His vocals are drowned out sometimes. With good headphones it's no problem at all, but in the whip it stands out.

I also wish Madlib let some the beats breathe at the end, he stayed cutting them shyts off early.
I knew it wasn't just me. My only complaint especially since there's a high likelihood that they'll release the instrumentals in a month or two.

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
Yea this was my intro to Gibbs. Album don’t make no sense :mjcry: he really be talking that shyt with a fly gritty cadence and flow
That’s funny, I bet your mind is blown

One of my good friends never listened to Freddie Gibbs before Fetti and now he’s:feedme:

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ipad Producers rejoice:blessed::wow:

am more motivated than ever
I’ve always wanted to dabble with music production as a side hobby and I think this brother finally pushed me over the edge.

Thinking of dipping my toe in the water with an iPad (w/iMPC) with an Akai MPC Element.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
I’ve always wanted to dabble with music production as a side hobby and I think this brother finally pushed me over the edge.

Thinking of dipping my toe in the water with an iPad (w/iMPC) with an Akai MPC Element.

nahh dont go for IMPC pro go with beatmaker 3....IMPC Pro is not intuitive enough, lack features and clunky. Go beatmaker 3 , easier to use and its currently the standard on IOS specially if u making hip hop

Just yesterday i tried to use impc again, i made the beat but then it go messed up because i couldnt link the bass app and its not possible to import files from IMPC to another Ipad DAW:francis:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Problem with this assumption is that Rza became a superstar, global icon, and extremely wealthy. That shyt is gonna have an affect on you. Madlib just been a working producer with critical acclaim.

I'd imagine it would be hard to turn down the opportunities Rza has had thrown at him because of his success & popularity at the height of the genre.
This is definitely true, but RZA also had an encounter at a Guitar Center with someone he sampled that didn't like it, and he said it really changed his mind about sampling, and ever since then I feel like that was a contributing factor to him falling off a bit that goes beyond being a superstar and wealthy, etc.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
After a few days to sit with this. I know a few people legitimately don't like this album because you can't pleas everyone. And I understand people that don't like the mixing on here. But for the most part if you're a hip-hop head and you don't like this album you're overthinking shyt or you're a contrarian and just trying too hard to be different.
:manny:

:wow:
I knew he made the No More Parties in LA beat on an iPad. This is dope. Truly goes to show it's not about the gear, it's about the skill. The most expensive basketball shoes won't make you hit your jumpers.

It took around a year to clear the samples:

https://djbooth.net/features/2019-06-03-freddie-gibbs-madlib-bandana-sample-clearance

There's still a massive gap in the timeline (almost 2 years) from December 2016 to June 2019.

I'm curious if "John Gotti Karate" was on the original version. It would explain why it's not on here.

Fred.

JGK had to have been on here at some point. Had to have been. I know I'm not saying anything I didn't say last week, but Madlib and Gibbs were playing it at shows separately, and Gibbs was posting it on social media, etc. Also it fits in with the Japanese guy talking throughout the album, as well as a couple Japanese sounding samples.

I'm convinced they would've had it on here if they could have. If it took a year to clear the samples then there were definitely some things that didn't make the cut. It's rare that every sample on any project this sample heavy is cleared. Sometimes whoever owns the sample just says no, and there's no amount of up-front money or points on the back end that will make them say yes.

That was the case with Hoover Street by Schoolboy Q. The holder wouldn't clear the sample no matter what, so they had to go back and make a new beat for it. I'm assuming Madlib and Gibbs didn't remake the song with a new beat and just took the L.