Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Cagny

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Italy
Was just coming in here to post about this track. This shyt is hard as fukk. Is it just me or does the beat sound like it has a bone thugs sample?....with them demonic ass voices in the back. Gibbs is even using the signature bone flow at certain times. And he repeats the phrase "young and thuggin" throughout the track....is Gibbs payin homage:ohhh:

Or maybe I'm reaching:yeshrug:.....But fukk it....even if it's not bone I'm still gonna pretend it is because it makes the track even doper to me :wow:
That joint SCREAMS Bone Thugs

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I don't even feel its knee jerk giving this a perfect score for me. arguably best gangsta rap record I've heard and I've listened to all the classics. Like fukk, the beats, the lyrics, gibbs flow on this is :wow: otherworldly features. I know it could be in the moment capping but I got this with Illmatic and mbdtf as my favorite rap albums ever. Its that good.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
I don't know who mixed the album, but it was mastered by the legendary Bernie Grundman, who has done a variety of classic albums including two of the best sounding albums of all tiome - Steely Dan's Aja, and The Chronic. Everything sounds great except for the mixing levels between samples and vocals. It's not noticeable on every track, at least.

I do like how some of the vocals are distorted, depending on the tone/feel of the record. The vocals on Practice sound...naked, alone, like he's confessing in a large empty room. Fits the track perfect. And then the second half of Half Manne Half Cocaine just has some wild, stark vocal distortion that just...works.

speaking of aja whew

:blessed:

recognize the sample?

Uptown baby

Daps
I don't know who mixed the album, but it was mastered by the legendary Bernie Grundman, who has done a variety of classic albums including two of the best sounding albums of all tiome - Steely Dan's Aja, and The Chronic. Everything sounds great except for the mixing levels between samples and vocals. It's not noticeable on every track, at least.

I do like how some of the vocals are distorted, depending on the tone/feel of the record. The vocals on Practice sound...naked, alone, like he's confessing in a large empty room. Fits the track perfect. And then the second half of Half Manne Half Cocaine just has some wild, stark vocal distortion that just...works.

speaking of aja whew

recognize the sample?

Steely Dan albums are mastered real well, dope they had the same dude do this album for them. That vinyl version gonna be crisp as fukk

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

speaking of aja whew

recognize the sample?

I'm repping cause steely dan in a freddie gibbs tread :whew:

Daps

speaking of aja whew

recognize the sample?

Steely Dan albums are mastered real well, dope they had the same dude do this album for them. That vinyl version gonna be crisp as fukk