Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Breh, I'm still wondering where THIS joint is:

Yeah I’m sure the brehs are getting sick of me harping on it but I’ve posted about it like 6 times. I’ve been anticipating this joint right here for so long. Madlib played it at shows too. I’m assuming there was a sample issued because (as a surprise to me) they didn’t try to skirt the sample police on this and they actually cleared the samples for this.

I can’t imagine they’d shelf the main song they were hyping the project with if they didn’t have to.

I hope someone leaks it. You can hear more of it in better quality if you search for Madlib Gibbs Unreleased on YouTube

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
:lupe:i said fukk it and rebought the album with the bonus lp like I should have done the first time. I can't take any chances hoping somebody would upload the directors cut version.
Rappcats said it won't be repressed ever again or in any other format.
I copped it too. Also I think if you order the directors cut version you get the retail too. I don’t cop a ton of vinyl but if it’s Otis or Alan I usually do. I’m surprised it’s not sold out. I bet that’s why it’s shipping late. They probably wanna see how many orders they get I bet.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Not to be a audio nerd but vinyl is the cleanest way to listen to audio besides glass. Unlike MP3 (which can’t capture the pure nuances of natural sound) your vocal or the sounds of the instruments carry a distinct wave length that vinyl can get perfectly. Like I said the only thing better to capture sound is glass.

But ya vinyl did fall into the pretentious hipster oooh look I’m different crowd. But vinyl don’t deserve a bad rap. If I had space I would collect certain pressings. Need a bigger house son

Don't get it twisted, I love vinyl. I used to have a big ass collection of LPs n 45s(had like 800 of em) before I sold my collection two years ago. Yeah you can't beat the warm sound of vinyl....I wasn't meaning to knock vinyl at all

phonthought3000

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The '84 Babies
zebra mascot even made it to the listening party

:wow:

IMG_1743.jpg

We need that Freddie x Alan x Otis album to make the cypher complete

Hip-Hop-Bulls

All Star
Daps
Just finished my 2nd listen :blessed:

I've always had madlib in my top 5 producer list, but I think he has to be the top 3 now. He's the only dude from the 90s still dropping fire. And don't say premo either, he hasn't produced anything on this level in a LONG time.

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
Haven't been on any sites to see other opinions on the album, wanted to stay as bias free as possible outside the singles I heard. So this is all my opinion after 10 listens, without hearing how anyone else felt about it.

Obviously you can't digest an album in a day, but here you go.

My opinions on the tracks are undoubtedly going to change. Gibbs killed this shyt, Madlib was a bit underwhelming to be honest. But his highs were fantastic, nothing was "bad" just didn't stand out like a lot of typical Madlib beats. Maybe it was because the samples were more subtle on here. But like I said, it'll probably take a few weeks to fully digest and hear all the tiny details in the music. Features were good, Push killed it. I think I hyped up the Mos Def feature too much as it didn't impress, neither did Black Thought. In my opinion Gibbs washed them both, but Gibbs and Mos are both in my top 5 so it's cool to see them collab.

I will say, even though it's not as great as I hyped it to be (at least out of the gate), it's consistent as fukk, there are no tracks I'd skip or anything that's noticeably inferior to the other tracks. I suppose that in itself is something that should make me rethink my stance on Madlib being underwhelming here, he did a great job keep it flowing.

Gibbs bars were crazy on this joint tho.

All out of */5

Freestyle shyt - 4
Half Manne Half Cocaine - 3
Crime Pays - 3.5
Massage Seats - 3
Palmolive - 3.5
Fake Names - 3.5
Flat Tummy Tea - 4
Situations - 3
Giannis - 3.5
Practice - 4
Cataracts - 4