Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I never didn’t like Crime Pays but I like it much more with how the album flows than as a single.

Honestly this is a tough album to pick a single for besides the Paak joint.

It’s crazy how cohesive this is considering it’s hard to pick a single song to let people know what to expect.

You don’t cry when you have made a Daytona ...if anything from what I’ve read Pusha next album will be produced by the neptunes and Kanye west ...there is nothing cry over. Kanye just wasn’t in that bag when he got those 6 beat CDs.

If he holds those CDs then he has to pay madlib and the the people that was sampled from. Which is why you only got “No More Parties in LA”.
I didn’t post anything of Kanye crying I don’t think?

Kanye is a dope producer but I wish he would’ve used more from Madlib on TLOP though and the idea of Gibbs making a classic with shyt Ye passed on is cool to me.

:yeshrug:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
:ohhh::feedme:
What joint? PM if you like. I’ll rep and can send some other samples your way.

Sorry - I'm bugging - I meant 'Bonjour'

You don’t cry when you have made a Daytona ...if anything from what I’ve read Pusha next album will be produced by the neptunes and Kanye west ...there is nothing cry over. Kanye just wasn’t in that bag when he got those 6 beat CDs.

:patrice:

I'm assuming 'Drug Dealers Anonymous' was going to be on the album he was planning before Daytona, and that was a DJ Dahi beat. I just can't see anyone throwing a Jay feature out as a random loosie, so it was probably the single.. I don't know if his plans changed since then...:hubie:

Last edited:

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Album is amazing, definitely buying.

This feels more daring than Piñata. I'm not going to say which is better...this shyt just came out and I'm still digesting. But it floored the fukk out of me. The beats and samples are diverse, and it has some of Madlib's hardest drums. Gibbs delivers and puts on a lyrical/flow exercise. In fact if there's a criticism it's that he doesn't give beats time to breath...he just murks them.

And thing I notice is that sometimes his pronunciation/words becomes mushy on certain tracks and it feels like an exec producer should have called for another take. I've noticed this on his trap stuff, starting with the Shadow Of A Doubt album.

Outside of that? This shyt is immaculate. Might be two songs I'm just "aite" on, everything else is beyond dope.

This is the album people wanted/pretended Daytona was. I like Daytona but there are a couple joints on there that are whatever...which hurts a 7 track album.
:jbhmm:

Regarding the pronounciation thing....yea that's kinda one of the few flaws Gibbs has besides his voice being slightly monotone...sometimes he gets a roll on and the bars kinda just mush together on some run-in sentence shyt:francis:......it's pretty rare tho, you might hear it on like 2 songs max per project so no biggie

And yea this is like a superior Daytona

Yo if Freddie really did all this over shyt Kanye passed on that then it would make my year.

Edit: @PlayerNinety_Nine you also notice how the last joint has the signature 00’s Kanye snare, but just tweaked a little better?

:ohhh: Subtle jab from Lib? :lolbron:

I doubt it but I can pretend

Yup a lot of Pinata were beats Ye passed on, there's prob some on here too. As much as I like Ye, he woulda wasted those beats anyway so in the end the beats ended up in the right place:blessed:

Daps
Reppin
the land of oochie wally AND one mic

:dwillhuh:

BiySvzrA_o.gif
BiySvzrA_o.gif
BiySvzrA_o.gif
BiySvzrA_o.gif

WHY didn't this make the album? :mindblown:

@PlayerNinety_Nine I'm tellin you breh...Madlib got that dancehall album/tape somewhere collecting digital dust :francis:

Breh, I'm still wondering where THIS joint is:

El negrito de tejas

Fukk the govt I got my own Deficit
Daps
Reppin
The country of myself
I'm still trying to figure out where to put bandana at.:jbhmm:

Right now the album flows perfectly I don't wanna take away from the momentum
:hubie:might have to leave the album the way it is. Gotta go back and listen to those bonus instrumentals see if they can be added in somewhere

Dontay Flaco

fka King Napz
Daps
Reppin
VA
You're not alone....

From last year, the night Nasir dropped.

I thought even back then that Ye was jacking for beats :mjpls:

They rocked on the same sample as 'Adam & Eve' on 'Education' too:mjpls:
Yo if Freddie really did all this over shyt Kanye passed on that then it would make my year.

Edit: @PlayerNinety_Nine you also notice how the last joint has the signature 00’s Kanye snare, but just tweaked a little better?

:ohhh: Subtle jab from Lib? :lolbron:

I doubt it but I can pretend

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
Ima get hated on for this but can we stop leaving all the vinyl crackle in.....I know nikkas think it adds to the ambience or vintage vibe but if you dont mix it right, it just sounds like shyt. Same shyt applied to a few traccs on Tyler's album.

It's 2019, we don't need to fake a vibe with "analog" shyt. We fukkn with that clean sound nowaday:ufdup:

Also is Mos unable to finish a 16 anymore....tha last few features I've heard him on(ASAP, Kids See Ghosts and this), he sounds super uncertain and nervous. His verse on Education wasnt bad bad but iono:beli:

Not to be a audio nerd but vinyl is the cleanest way to listen to audio besides glass. Unlike MP3 (which can’t capture the pure nuances of natural sound) your vocal or the sounds of the instruments carry a distinct wave length that vinyl can get perfectly. Like I said the only thing better to capture sound is glass.

But ya vinyl did fall into the pretentious hipster oooh look I’m different crowd. But vinyl don’t deserve a bad rap. If I had space I would collect certain pressings. Need a bigger house son