Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I'm not complaining about shyt but goddamn some of these beats deserved some more air time so to speak lol.

1st beat on Fake Names
1CqLEN.gif
Yeen lyin. I ran that first half back about 30 times last night. That and Practice

Dontay Flaco

fka King Napz
Daps
Reppin
VA
I'm still trippin out about "Palmolive" and "Fake Names" I remember back in 2017 when I first heard the "Palmolive" and "Fake Names" instrumental on a beat cd. I said to myself I hope Freddie raps over this on Bandana. Fast forward to April, "Palmolive" leaks and sure enough it's the beat!! I was still kinda bummed out that he didn't spit on the other half of the beat... Then fast forward to yesterday, it's the second beat on "Fake Names"! :gladbron::krs::ooh::damn:
A lot of people still don't realize that's it's the same sample yet. Fake Names is a continuation of Palmolive (as far as the beat)
!

Last edited:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps

:dwillhuh:

BiySvzrA_o.gif
BiySvzrA_o.gif
BiySvzrA_o.gif
BiySvzrA_o.gif

WHY didn't this make the album? :mindblown:

@PlayerNinety_Nine I'm tellin you breh...Madlib got that dancehall album/tape somewhere collecting digital dust :francis:

"Real Gyalist skills are sharp like a katana/
So you know after Rihanna, we a smash ya babymamma :whoo:"

Dude loves weed and 45's.

It's an absolute certainty.:wow:

shyt would have been an ill album for 'The Medicine Show' run too.

'The Bashment Conductor' :blessed:

I've made an extendo version of the album with this, the Flat Tummy Tea bonus beats and Cocaine Parties in LA, on my phone :youngsabo:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
:jbhmm:Anyone else kind of get some Harold’s vibes when listening to Gat Damn? Similar drum pattern or flow or something.

Fake Names is just :wow:

Is it just me or does the first beat sound like it coulda been some Dr. Dre shyt?

Yeah I can actually. With the crispy snares, light strings in the background...kind of reminds me of The Watcher type vibe. When I think of Chronic 2001 Dre I think a lot of open space in the beat and Fake Names is a perfect example of that.

Good ear breh.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
:jbhmm:Anyone else kind of get some Harold’s vibes when listening to Gat Damn? Similar drum pattern or flow or something.

Yeah I can actually. With the crispy snares, light strings in the background...kind of reminds me of The Watcher type vibe. When I think of Chronic 2001 Dre I think a lot of open space in the beat and Fake Names is a perfect example of that.

Good ear breh.

I get the Harold’s, Lakers vibe from Cataracts first beat

Gat Damn is great too though but reminds me more of Careless

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I'm still trippin out about "Palmolive" and "Fake Names" I remember back in 2017 when I first heard the "Palmolive" and "Fake Names" instrumental on a beat cd. I said to myself I hope Freddie raps over this on Bandana. Fast forward to March, "Palmolive" leaks and sure enough it's the beat!! I was still kinda bummed out that he didn't spit on the other half of the beat... Then fast forward to yesterday, it's the second beat on "Fake Names"! :gladbron::krs::ooh::damn:
A lot of people still don't realize that's it's the same sample yet. Fake Names is a continuation of Palmolive (as far as the beat)
!

There was talk that Freddie made this whole joint off beats that Kanye turned down.

Dude must be feeling

e33419959f9d351241a6bbb7c77bbfde.gif

right now :mjlol:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
At this point, dude is the Gaspar Noe of Cocaine Rap.

A bunch of critics probably feel like 'Here we go again :beli:' when they see his name on credits, but there's a small and dedicated. gang of listeners who are :ohlawd: when he pops up.

'If You Know, You Know' is more than just a song title. :wow:
:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

This is crazily on point. And just like Daytona, Climax didn't disappoint :heh:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Album is amazing, definitely buying.

This feels more daring than Piñata. I'm not going to say which is better...this shyt just came out and I'm still digesting. But it floored the fukk out of me. The beats and samples are diverse, and it has some of Madlib's hardest drums. Gibbs delivers and puts on a lyrical/flow exercise. In fact if there's a criticism it's that he doesn't give beats time to breath...he just murks them.

And thing I notice is that sometimes his pronunciation/words becomes mushy on certain tracks and it feels like an exec producer should have called for another take. I've noticed this on his trap stuff, starting with the Shadow Of A Doubt album.

Outside of that? This shyt is immaculate. Might be two songs I'm just "aite" on, everything else is beyond dope.

This is the album people wanted/pretended Daytona was. I like Daytona but there are a couple joints on there that are whatever...which hurts a 7 track album.
:jbhmm: