Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Ima get hated on for this but can we stop leaving all the vinyl crackle in.....I know nikkas think it adds to the ambience or vintage vibe but if you dont mix it right, it just sounds like shyt. Same shyt applied to a few traccs on Tyler's album.

It's 2019, we don't need to fake a vibe with "analog" shyt. We fukkn with that clean sound nowaday:ufdup:

Also is Mos unable to finish a 16 anymore....tha last few features I've heard him on(ASAP, Kids See Ghosts and this), he sounds super uncertain and nervous. His verse on Education wasnt bad bad but iono:beli:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Ima get hated on for this but can we stop leaving all the vinyl crackle in.....I know nikkas think it adds to the ambience or vintage vibe but if you dont mix it right, it just sounds like shyt. Same shyt applied to a few traccs on Tyler's album.

It's 2019, we don't need to fake a vibe with "analog" shyt. We fukkn with that clean sound nowaday:ufdup:

Also is Mos unable to finish a 16 anymore....tha last few features I've heard him on(ASAP, Kids See Ghosts and this), he sounds super uncertain and nervous. His verse on Education wasnt bad bad but iono:beli:
If it's on the record sampled, it's on the record...unless you're gonna buy the producer a brand new pristine copy, you better learn to deal with it :ufdup:

Besides, it's not like it's a fake crackle like what Apollo Brown does

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
If it's on the record sampled, it's on the record...unless you're gonna buy the producer a brand new pristine copy, you better learn to deal with it :ufdup:

Besides, it's not like it's a fake crackle like what Apollo Brown does

With all the mixing/mastering programs we have nowadays, crackle can easily be removed or at least minimized. You also don't have to sample off vinyl. I don't sample off records anymore bc lot of that shyt was too loud.

And secondly yeah buy a reissue copy. them nikkas got $

I don't wanna complain too much, I just like to show both sides rather than just be a fanboy

THIS SHYT IS OFFICIAL. I like this better than Pinata overall besides the first two traks, this shyt is much more cohesive

NYtymes

All Star
Daps
Album solid on 1st listen, education beat not better that bonjour tho and mos def verse was half cooked , i realize Gibbs is a decent rapper who doesn’t really say anything amazing but his flow makes up for it and when you mix that with madlibs amazing production you get borderline classics like this and piñata, about to start my 2nd spin

classicmaterial

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Soul crushing. Pretty sure they couldn’t clear the sample.
:mjcry: I’m hoping I’ll be on the directors cut in late July
:lupe:

Description for the directors cut says it's the same tracklisting so I doubt it's any new vocals it's likely just the OG versions of beats that they couldn't clear

Daps
With all the mixing/mastering programs we have nowadays, crackle can easily be removed or at least minimized. You also don't have to sample off vinyl. I don't sample off records anymore bc lot of that shyt was too loud.

I don't wanna complain too much, I just like to show both sides rather than just be a fanboy

THIS SHYT IS OFFICIAL. I like this better than Pinata overall besides the first two traks, this shyt is much more cohesive

I’m address this shyt later BUMP ...:beli:

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i hope he does numbers(100K) the first week and can get a mainstream push. Out here in LA, they've been promoting this album like crazy,

What single are they pushing in LA cuz I dont hear Gibbs on the radio in NYC. In order to get a mainstream push he's gonna need a popular single. Something the kids will fukk with.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps

Yeah, problem with all that is, that dustiness is a part of Madlib's signature sound. His crates run deep and he likely has a lot of original issues so you're gonna hear a whole lot of crackle in many of his beats.

This has been established for years....not even trying to play you but were Pinata and this your first Madlib projects?