Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Yeah, problem with all that is, that dustiness is a part of Madlib's signature sound. His crates run deep and he likely has a lot of original issues so you're gonna hear a whole lot of crackle in many of his beats.

This has been established for years....not even trying to play you but were Pinata and this your first Madlib projects?

I’m going to address this from many different angle it a problem I have with newer producers to...from. 35yr old perspective....

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
zebra mascot even made it to the listening party

:wow:

IMG_1743.jpg

:damn:

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
What single are they pushing in LA cuz I dont hear Gibbs on the radio in NYC. In order to get a mainstream push he's gonna need a popular single. Something the kids will fukk with.

Very true. He's not gonna get radio play on this either...I just mean I been seein billboards and posters EVERYWHERE, like every section of town. But yea without getting spins, there's a limit to how big this record will be. He won't ever be a household name but i think he gonna start makin a lot more show money.

Yeah, problem with all that is, that dustiness is a part of Madlib's signature sound. His crates run deep and he likely has a lot of original issues so you're gonna hear a whole lot of crackle in many of his beats.

This has been established for years....not even trying to play you but were Pinata and this your first Madlib projects?

Long time listener of lib.....i'm more talking about the mixing of the crackle on this....i don't mind it being there but on previous projects it was just mixed/filtered just right and lower in the mix. I'm more just reacting to how it was mixed but at the end of the day, it's only on a few songs so I'm not tripping that hard

I was more just tryna make more dialogue rather than just be another nikka postin :whoo:

Ima stop and just enjoy this masterpiece

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
So this nikka Gibbs really gonna make me wait a month to cop the physical? :martin:

Got me shaking like one of his fiends :mjcry:

:mjlol:

Since yesterday this whole thread has been looking like the one take shot in Hamsterdam

There's smokers out here :blessed::ohlawd::takedat:after finally getting to hit the new product for the first time

And dudes looking for the plug like :damn::sadcam::to::feedme:

:wow:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Very true. He's not gonna get radio play on this either...I just mean I been seein billboards and posters EVERYWHERE, like every section of town. But yea without getting spins, there's a limit to how big this record will be. He won't ever be a household name but i think he gonna start makin a lot more show money.

Long time listener of lib.....i'm more talking about the mixing of the crackle on this....i don't mind it being there but on previous projects it was just mixed/filtered just right and lower in the mix. I'm more just reacting to how it was mixed but at the end of the day, it's only on a few songs so I'm not tripping that hard

I was more just tryna make more dialogue rather than just be another nikka postin :whoo:

Ima stop and just enjoy this masterpiece
I like you adding to the discussion with more than smileys breh. I’m a production and engineering nerd too. Talk that talk if you want to. I’m enjoying it.

I’m wondering how recent Mos’ verse is. I have a feeling it’s a little older.

EDIT: I love that D&D/DJ Premier/Eddie Sancho type mixing though. I got zero problems with the mix on this. You can hear in a couple spots Freddie moving around in the booth as he’s rapping (like on Cataracts) but the shyt sounds raw and organic. I’m biased though. I remember Little Brother recording in a bedroom with mattresses sideways to dampen the sound. I like that type of sound even though it’s not polished. I just don’t like when stuff is purposely made to sound more dirty when it’s not. But that’s not the case on Bandana.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I know man. We need a MadAlan project of some sort.

he just started bodying shyt at daytona?

:jbhmm:

mans been on a 2 decade run.
True. But something is different. Now he’s rapping from a certified OG perspective and I dig it even more. He’s definitely got “something” that’s hard to put into words from Daytona to now.