Forza Horizon 3 aka "The Goat Racer" Official Thread

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No it isn't. The forums for Turn 10 is full of people having problems.

Sure some peoople are "running" the game but having to cap it at 30fps because of sporadic frame drops, doing a bunch of workarounds and fixes to get it playable, frame pacing issues, micro stuttering and whatnot it's clear that the game isn't up to snuff(and this is from people with even more powerful rigs.)
I'm not playing it because the biggest problem right now for me is there's a significant input lag issue. The controls feel terrible like everything feels like it's 1/2 second late or worse. It's unplayable for me. Cars feels like tanks.
Forum is also full of people playing just fine :comeon:

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
I5 3450. And witcher ran reasonably fine for me too.

Forza is running OK for most people. Aren't you playing it :usure:

Running it on a i5 6600 and a GTX 970 with 16 gigs of ram...performance has been very inconsistent. Sometimes I'm fine, other times it's chugging along. The PC release seems to have a lot of issues across a wide range of equipment unfortunately : ((( Doesn't mean people can't run it perfectly fine, but there's no reason people should have more than recommended specs and have performance issues on medium.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Running it on a i5 6600 and a GTX 970 with 16 gigs of ram...performance has been very inconsistent. Sometimes I'm fine, other times it's chugging along. The PC release seems to have a lot of issues across a wide range of equipment unfortunately : ((( Doesn't mean people can't run it perfectly fine, but there's no reason people should have more than recommended specs and have performance issues on medium.
I could just cap it at 30fps and play on high/ultra settings but then it'll still drop below 30fps in some areas and then there's the huge input lag which is a deal breaker. It feels like I'm remote playing the game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Your CPU is below recommended specs. And I understand there are problems, I just think it's a bit far to call it "crappy" at this point. It's a very intensive game.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:snoop:

So people with the recommended specs are too, having issues but this is just a very intensive game that runs fine at 30fps/1080P on the XB1 but PCs significantly more powerful are having trouble because the "game is very intensive" ?? :troll:

Can't even maintain a locked 30fps at 1440p with a 3820 @ 4Ghz and an overclocked 1080.

Lord help those of you trying to run 4K.

Admittedly, my CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth; but it shouldn't be struggling this much. Damn :(

I have a 165hz monitor, and so I can lock it at 41fps which is actually pretty decent, especially with G-Sync. But man, at Surfer's Paradise, I drop into the 20s.

So 30fps with a overclocked 1080 and the "recommended" CPU is still not enough?

and did you forget? The I5 3820 is a Sandy Bridge CPU, Zebruh's CPU is a newer generation CPU(Skylake). His CPU is FINE.

Stop :cape: for shoddy PC ports :camby:

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I got it running pretty good at 60fps. it hitches here and there, but it doesn't bother me that much

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I got it running pretty good at 60fps. it hitches here and there, but it doesn't bother me that much
Have you tried these fixes for hitching?

Stutters - update driver to latest, and mostly related to asset streaming, potential fixes: disable Core 0 in CPU affinity settings (if you have a hyperthread CPU) and set priority to low in task manager; disable Game DVR in Xbox app. Lowering Environment Texture Quality and Dynamic Geometry Quality might help as well.
Poor performance on capable specs - make sure you enable "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia control panel, it might make a big difference.
Car customization interface is very laggy
Screen artifacts with ultrawide resolution - change MSAA quality from 4X to 8X.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:snoop:

So people with the recommended specs are too, having issues but this is just a very intensive game that runs fine at 30fps/1080P on the XB1 but PCs significantly more powerful are having trouble because the "game is very intensive" ?? :troll:

So 30fps with a overclocked 1080 and the "recommended" CPU is still not enough?

and did you forget? The I5 3820 is a Sandy Bridge CPU, Zebruh's CPU is a newer generation CPU(Skylake). His CPU is FINE.

Stop :cape: for shoddy PC ports :camby:
You went and cherry picked the worst anecdote you could find.

A lot of people with that same set up are reporting pretty decent performance.

And the "recommended" specs are for 1080p.

If you barely have the recommended specs and are trying to run at 1440p then you will have to turn the settings down.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You went and cherry picked the worst anecdote you could find.

A lot of people with that same set up are reporting pretty decent performance.

And the "recommended" specs are for 1080p.

If you barely have the recommended specs and are trying to run at 1440p then you will have to turn the settings down.

The game isn't GPU bound.
You can lower the graphics settings and res and the fps will still be the same. I've ran the game at 1440P/30fps, 1080P/30fps/low and it's the same song. It's CPU bound.

Forza Horizon 3 sadly suffers from single-core CPU issues. As we can see, one of our CPU cores was maxed out during our playthrough, while all the other five cores were below 70-80% usage. As a result of that, we were CPU-bound in pretty much the entire game.

In order to find out how the game scales on various CPUs, we simulated a dual-core and a quad-core CPU. Unsurprisingly, there were no performance differences between our simulated quad-core and our hexa-core systems. On the other hand, the game was completely unplayable on our simulated dual-core system (while it managed to run the game at 30fps, there were severe stutters that made it unplayable). And given the fact that the game relies heavily on a single CPU core, we strongly suggest disabling Hyper Threading.

Our GTX980Ti was used at 50-60%, suggesting that our CPU was bottlenecking the GPU. It’s pretty clear that Forza Horizon 3’s multi-threading capabilities are awful, something that definitely surprised us. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, we were unable to run Forza Horizon 3 with constant 60fps at 1080p, even on Medium settings and without MSAA (while driving through Surfer’s Paradise).

For what is worth, we were able to play the game with constant 30fps at 4K on Ultra settings. The only downside here is that the game introduces additional input lag when locked at 30fps, so we can’t really recommend this option until Playground Games fixes it.
Forza Horizon 3 – PC Performance Analysis | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land