Former 343 Employee Says Halo Infinite Being Made Under Crunch Conditions

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yawn.. Everyone is compensated for the time they put in. My job salary employees get paid overtime. I know a Dr who worked 16 hrs a day for 20 years. Nurses work overtime too. Everyone in manufacturing works overtime or store shelves would be empty, vaccines would be unavailable, etc. This is adult life. "CRUNCH" is a nerds way of saying overtime.. Most adults like being paid double time..

Most salaried employee jobs don't get paid overtime. It's why most prefer to be hourly. Especially with shyt like this

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Japan has a culture of overwork that’s worse than America.
This isnt really true, Japanese people work similar hours and get more time off every year compared to Americans. Americans work more hours overall every year because we can't take as much time off work as other countries.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Most salaried employee jobs don't get paid overtime. It's why most prefer to be hourly. Especially with shyt like this
Facts.

I remember managers at Amazon being worked into the ground, doing 12 hour shifts 5 days a week, sometimes 6 days when a promotion was happening, with no overtime because it was salary.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Making games is hard and making games to hit a specific date is even harder. Unless you want every game to come out on that Rockstar schedule(even with the ridiculouly long dev time they still crunch) somebody gonna have to put in some extra hours.:manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The former 343 employee uploaded another video. Watch it on your own to get a better understanding of the context, in short though, he's not happy with the rough translation posted here and what the media made out of that. He regrets to make the first video, he says that working at 343 was an "happy experience" for him and he does not agree what the made made out of that for clicks.

- "Were there rough days? Sure. Most game jobs have rough days. People I know work really hard on the game. Because we care."
- "Slipspace is getting better every day. People are working really hard. You can achieve amazing graphical results. More features are getting added, performance is getting better, I'm sure it has improved even more after I left."
- He never once was forced to crunch. "Many of us just want to go the extra mile to do the best we can (...) because we care"
- in general he often says "people here care (for Halo)"
- He's especially mad about the media taking one sentence of a 15min video. He says there is no studio-wide crunch culture at 343 and once again says he never was forced to crunch once. If you crunched or went hard because you wanted to or needed to reach a deadline, "you are allowed to take a day off to decompress"

I hope he's fine with me trying to summarise it like that in a better way. The video is good and honest and is also a big blow towards click-bait media sites.
Y’all tried

:mjlol:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Crunching at 343 sounds like a bad idea. Sucks the industry is like that though.

At least they got that initial delay. :manny:

datnigDASTARDLY

catching pigeons
Daps
Especially when people immediately stop caring about it once the game is released.

It’s a fukking job, damn near every job has a period of crunch time... it’s the most concern trolling shyt I’ve ever heard :mjlol:

These the same type of people that have careers and passions. Naw nikka you got a job :stopitslime:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Doesn't make it acceptable.

It's like saying that all the sexual abuse and harrassment in Hollywood is okay "because that's how the industry is" :yeshrug:
On the flip side. The debate about “crunch” in the industry has become “every dev that works overtime is a victim of crunch culture”

As usual the truth is somewhere in the middle. It’s obvious “crunch” is causing mental and physical anguish to some devs. But it’s also obvious there’s lots of devs working extended hours that welcome the work/money and are proud of their accomplishments.