For the first time, black teenage suicide rates overtake white teenage suicide rates

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
The general living condition of everyone in this part of the world took a nosedive in the last 5-10 years

Those who were already struggling are going to have it much worse in these conditions
I was reading William Julius, the truly disadvantage a couple years ago and talked about the downward trend that was happening due to manufacturing jobs going overseas, and where it left us as black men in particular who OVER relied manufacturing jobs too take care of our families. I look at my best froends dad who as a single fathet took care of him by working at the old Domino Sugar plant in Williamsburg Brooklyn. Today, it’s transformed into an expensive housing unit facing the Manhattan skyline. Those jobs don’t exist anymore.
We as Black men over relied on those jobs while black women who couldn’t find jobs other than being domestics were raised to go the education route. There’s an old black saying that goes “we raise our daughters but love our sons.” At the end, conditions have changed so much where having that education is the only lifeline. So Black women in their limitations and how we raised them are actually more prepared than us who have yet to adjust. Meanwhile, we have loved our sons to the point they lack resilience. I’m not into the single mom shyt people like to blame because even in single motherhood, a father should have something to offer but if that father is in that boat where he’s not being able to provide because he over relied on a manufacturing job and can’t find employment, where does that leave that black boy? I think we are finally seeing the end results of this.

Last edited:

Sammy Steez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MKE
You 100% hit the nail on the head. These are most likely suburbanites and biracials raised in white environments.

Not to mention the rise of the "emo"/weird nikkas. Those kids who look and dress like XXXTenacion and swear their life is in turmoil. Doing all sorts of drugs that black people dont traditionally do.
The mother PBS interviewed regarding her son’s passing was from Chicago.
Raised in a predominantly Black neighborhood and attended majority Black schools.

Our community’s continual framing of Mental Health issues as an exclusively White or Suburban phenomenon is in part how we got here. An epidemic such as this requires a combination both social and clinical approaches in order to fully remedy. More third spaces, and in-person opportunities to cultivate community. As well as proactive access to therapy, counseling, meditation, medication, mentors, etc.

Last edited:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This is gonna sound ignorant and uninformed but..

Black kids ain't black no more, our cultural identity is being diluted by the internet and lack of tradition being passed down.

In essence, our black kids in general are more like white kids than ever before and have been adopting their issues as well. CSC, drug use, suicide, etc..

Remember when you used to be able to hear that something happened and you immediately knew the race of the person before you saw a picture? I've been wrong a lot more lately when trying to do that.
This

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Let’s be real. We are suddenly on a opposite end of the suicides. Something recent has happened.
Can all be summed up in two main changes:
1) 2015 - 2019 inflation
2) Algorithm based social media recommendations, which became a thing post 2015. Thats around the time that the red pill shyt started being blasted on people's recommended.
3) Gen X being "the elders" now. As much as yall hate baby boomers, at least they kept black institutions in place. Black gen X jjust threw their hands in the air and handed that shyt that rich bahamians, jamaicans etc.
Just take a look at the congressional black caucus, Urban League and even NAACP

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I think black men have a crazy standard to live up to these days with all the pressures of social media and pop culture

Life is still tough but now EVERYONE is expected to be somebody. A rapper, actor, influencer, dancer, athlete, creator, etc.... if not that you better have a good education at least

Most will fail. And don’t wanna settle for working a 9-5

Back in the day (90s/early 2000s) we had lower standards, less pressure and more fun. :manny:
Not really. It's the lower cost of living that afforded such situations. Again, yall underestimate just how much the 2015 to 2019 time period (as well as the COVID era) sent prices through the roof. When you cant afford the basics of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, having lower standards doesnt fly. As women's biology/hypergamy tends to kick in.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
The general living condition of everyone in this part of the world took a nosedive in the last 5-10 years

Those who were already struggling are going to have it much worse in these conditions
People don't get it yet. We still havent seen the effects of the 2020 to 2021 inflation (caused by COVID). Lots of CACs got rich from the stock market, crypto currency, and new houses that they bought.

NYC Rebel

Daps
Can all be summed up in two main changes:
1) 2015 - 2019 inflation
2) Algorithm based social media recommendations, which became a thing post 2015. Thats around the time that the red pill shyt started being blasted on people's recommended.
3) Gen X being "the elders" now. As much as yall hate baby boomers, at least they kept black institutions in place. Black gen X jjust threw their hands in the air and handed that shyt that rich bahamians, jamaicans etc.
Just take a look at the congressional black caucus, Urban League and even NAACP
that black gen thing is a bunch of crap. Black Gen X were the first generation of children born to the “promised “of the civil rights movement. Black gen X were the first generation of blacks to make less than their parents. Black gen X were the first generation of black saddled with student loan debt. Black Gen X were promised jobs in our education only to see we still had to work twice as hard. Black Gen X was sold the biggest bill of goods in any generation that followed. unlike your generation. you guys weren’t over promised shyt. That shyt was in our textbooks. That promise was in TV shows like roots. That promise was advertised as real. By the time we got into our 20s and 30s, we told our kids it was all bullshyt. fukk that garbage hand over. There wasn’t shyt to handover. We were ruined by Ronald Reagan and his Reaganomics bullshyt. We were the ones who saw a crack epidemic, destroy our parents and older uncles, aunties, and siblings. We were the ones thrown in jail when baby boomer black folks were 55% in support of a crime bill that locked us up in droves. And now we are the ones taking care of a boomer ass parents and watching our kids kill themselves and you sit there, unread as fukk, posting some uneducated Tariq bullshyt?

I’m Black Gen x dog. We were fed some over promised and under delivered BULLshyt.

I don’t believe many of you love Black people enough to read up on us

Last edited:

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
You are black gin acting is a bunch of crap. Black Gen X were the first generation of children born to the “promised “of the civil rights movement. Black gen X were the first generation of blacks to make less than their parents. Black gen X were the first generation of black saddled with student loan debt. Black Gen X were promised jobs in our education only to see we still had to work twice as hard. Black Gen X was sold the biggest bill of goods in any generation that followed. unlike your generation. you guys weren’t over promised shyt. That shyt was in our textbooks. That promise was in TV shows like roots. That promise was advertised as real. By the time we got into our 20s and 30s, we told our kids it was all bullshyt. fukk that garbage hand over. There wasn’t shyt to handover. We were ruined by Ronald Reagan and his Reaganomics bullshyt. We were the ones who saw a crack epidemic, destroy our parents and older uncles, aunties, and siblings. We were the ones thrown in jail when baby boomer black folks were 55% in support of a crime bill that locked us up in droves. And now we are the ones taking care of a boomer ass parents and watching our kids kill themselves and you sit there, unread as fukk, posting some uneducated Tariq bullshyt?

I’m Black Gen x dog. We were fed some over promised and under delivered BULLshyt.

I don’t believe many of you love Black people enough to read up on us
What I said is correct, but so is what you said. Yes I'm aware that black gen X got hit the hardest by the crack era, lack of job opportunities during the 80s and 90s as well as being the main ones who went through mass incarceration during the 90s and 80s. My point still stands that the black gen X from Atlanta, DMV, Houston and other black wealth areas didnt upkeep the black institutions. They let those institutions either get co-opted or handed over to people who dont have black childrens instrest in mind.

NYC Rebel

Daps
What I said is correct, but so is what you said. Yes I'm aware that black gen X got hit the hardest by the crack era, lack of job opportunities during the 80s and 90s as well as being the main ones who went through mass incarceration during the 90s and 80s. My point still stands that the black gen X from Atlanta, DMV, Houston and other black wealth areas didnt upkeep the black institutions. They let those institutions either get co-opted or handed over to people who dont have black childrens instrest in mind.
What black institutions? And what makes you think black baby boomers weren’t the ones who gave it up? And left us with crumbs? Baby boomers all over the world have the same trait......whether in America, Nigeria, and everywhere......Selfishness

Last edited: