First Look: Will Smith and Margot Robbie in ‘Focus’ Update: New Trailer Posted

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes the big six get loans from the bank and friends.

Im just curious how a film with a million dollar budget gets a return when no one sees it.

some films lose money just like stock lose money, that's why even top actors don't invest their own money and make the films they want to make
you have to realize its long money out here, its not just one man investing in an entire film

You realize films never stop making money because all of the other mediums they go through, the money is ownership of the film, it's a cash flow

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
:birdman:Nah buddy, what's funnier is how we see THOUSANDS of big budget films often that have an ALL WHITE CAST & that's just said to be a "Movie" which it's performance at the box office is soley BASED ON HOW THE STORY's EXECUTED but if Will would have had an actress who favors someone like Taraji P Henson for example in the Blondie role it'd get automatically shunned, labeled a "BLACK MOVIE" then thrown to the cinema graveyard that is "A BET Feature Presentation" . :shaq2:

... DAmn, y'all disappoint me with the bob n weaving of obvious prejudice :snoop:. Bet, you can't even name 3 current films in ANY GENRE that have been big budget (50+ mill production cost) with more than one Black lead. Smh, lemme stop now before this thread spontaneously migrates to the "RACE TRACK" :sas2:.

Like it if you want bruh but I, myself can't -fux-witt-IT kind sir and this Coming from a HUGE Smith Fan:beli:
After Earth
Fast and Furious 6
Fast Five

When the hell does a Will Smith movie ever get relegated to BET status? :stopitslime:Even a drama as bad as Seven Pounds grossed 168 million worldwide.

Will's romantic leads in his past few films:

Rosario Dawson - Hispanic
Hancock - White
I Am Legend - Hispanic (not romantic but still)
Pursuit of Happyness - biracial
Hitch - Hispanic
Bad Boys 2 - Black

How is this movie any different than his others? And Bad Boys 2 wasn't considered a "black" movie.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For real though. The actress Margot Robbie is a GOOD actress don't get me wrong (she did great in Wolf Of Wallstreet) but im sick and tired of the white woman being constantly portrayed as the fukking epitome of beauty to the point where a black male would undoubtedly forsake his "career criminal" con man playboy lifestyle for.... fukk that:camby: there are talented, sexy, fine as hell black actresses that could easily pull off this type of role (Tarraj Henson, an Oscar nominee. Joy Bryant, Sanaa Lathan, Zoe Kravitz if they wanted to go "young")

I see what you said....but you know the Hollywood want double $$$ while you at it especially you have Will Smith with you, that could bring more $$$ and they want white audience and black audience to bring $$$. If they picked black actresses and they would totally believe that not many white audience would go. After Earth, just black father and black son but yet it was the worse Will cause After Earth was a failure box office. He hasn't had a huge hit in a while

For some reason, I believe Will Smith would have called it off if they're getting leading role for black actress.

ShaSolair

Rookie
Daps
After Earth
Fast and Furious 6
Fast Five

When the hell does a Will Smith movie ever get relegated to BET status? :stopitslime:Even a drama as bad as Seven Pounds grossed 168 million worldwide.

Will's romantic leads in his past few films:

Rosario Dawson - Hispanic
Hancock - White
I Am Legend - Hispanic (not romantic but still)
Pursuit of Happyness - biracial
Hitch - Hispanic
Bad Boys 2 - Black

How is this movie any different than his others? And Bad Boys 2 wasn't considered a "black" movie.

*Sigh* :comeon: Okay, I guess we're doing this. :ehh:

For one, I wasn't really speaking on Box Office or in terms of how the general public perceive the films per say. I really am talking about studio execs & movie critics because their the ones who in a lot of ways drive whether a script is Greenlit & put into production. My apologies if that wasn't clear; but it's obvious on what kind of films get an "Okay" & what don't. I am ALWAYS reading/ listening to reviews & keeping my ear close to hear how these "Professional" people in the movie industry react to certain things. More often than not, majority Black cast movies are rated terribly, gross less & are Sh#t on in comparison to others in the SAME genre & a lot of times HAVE IDENTICAL PLOTS/Storylines. Now, Will is a worldwide known "ACCEPTED" Black celeb who's proven to have a nice track record in box office(One of the few) so using him as a gauge to showcase how majority Black actors & actresses casted movies underperform as well as how they are badly received by many is already impractical. :patrice:

- Fast & Furious has Tyrese & Ludacris as "Black" actors but they aren't LEADs. Just because you see them on screen doesn't give them much significance. The plot can go on with or without them in plenty of different ways; their just clever pieces used to keep them involved so pessimist like myself have to go out our way to see the F##kery. :wtb:Oh, & And even if you wanna be a smart-as$ & throw The Rock in that category that still only makes "ONE" Lead in those films. Nope, Stop right there! Vin Diesel don't claim black so miss me with that too.
- Most people excluding myself disliked After Earth. It got raped by Critics & the general Audience in terms of reaction So Takie-That-One-Off!!
- :dwillhuh:I Can't believe you went Space-Jam-Jordan on me & Reached with Bad Boys & Pursuit of Happiness to justify your views which are clearly not "Current".

Lookie here bruh, I ain't typin all day nor did I post to have a debate. If you don't agree I'm cool with that but I'll still feel that there's a HUGE as$ void of underrepresentation of Non-c00n, intelligent, talented, Black Folk Leading Major mainstream film. :yeshrug:And you know in all honesty, it isn't just "Black actors" but "ALL Non-white". Why aren't there any Lead Hispanics, Asians or Middle Eastern actors in these American Blockbusters for that matter? I wanna see everybody in on the action putting out QUALITY but I guess that's Silly of me :sas2:

... Whatever fellow Coli, Agree to Disagree.

Last edited:

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Vin does claim black, but he's mixed. His big break was a short he made, when it showed he was too black for white roles, and too white for black roles. It's what Spielberg saw, and got him cast in Saving Private Ryan

I didn't choose Will's movies for the budgets, just to show that he's always had diverse leading ladies in his movies. So a white chick here isn't any different than his other movies.

When it comes to diversity, I just dont like the idea that people are "owed" to be represented. White people are making movies for white audiences, so they'll put who they think will make the most money. It's the same argument since Malcolm. Make your own, instead of begging another for a chance. Minority producers should be making these kinds of movies, but the ones that do target black audiences, are busy making low-denominator comedies.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Will Smith is the biggest movie star on the planet, I'm pretty sure the majority of the budget is the money he's getting paid to do this

i'm working on something with a 3.5 million dollar budget, and 1 one million of is suppose to get Wesley Snipes if he signs on

:ohhh:

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps
Zoe Kravitz

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
*Sigh* :comeon: Okay, I guess we're doing this. :ehh:

For one, I wasn't really speaking on Box Office or in terms of how the general public perceive the films per say. I really am talking about studio execs & movie critics because their the ones who in a lot of ways drive whether a script is Greenlit & put into production. My apologies if that wasn't clear; but it's obvious on what kind of films get an "Okay" & what don't. I am ALWAYS reading/ listening to reviews & keeping my ear close to hear how these "Professional" people in the movie industry react to certain things. More often than not, majority Black cast movies are rated terribly, gross less & are Sh#t on in comparison to others in the SAME genre & a lot of times HAVE IDENTICAL PLOTS/Storylines. Now, Will is a worldwide known "ACCEPTED" Black celeb who's proven to have a nice track record in box office(One of the few) so using him as a gauge to showcase how majority Black actors & actresses casted movies underperform as well as how they are badly received by many is already impractical. :patrice:

- Fast & Furious has Tyrese & Ludacris as "Black" actors but they aren't LEADs. Just because you see them on screen doesn't give them much significance. The plot can go on with or without them in plenty of different ways; their just clever pieces used to keep them involved so pessimist like myself have to go out our way to see the F##kery. :wtb:Oh, & And even if you wanna be a smart-as$ & throw The Rock in that category that still only makes "ONE" Lead in those films. Nope, Stop right there! Vin Diesel don't claim black so miss me with that too.
- Most people excluding myself disliked After Earth. It got raped by Critics & the general Audience in terms of reaction So Takie-That-One-Off!!
- :dwillhuh:I Can't believe you went Space-Jam-Jordan on me & Reached with Bad Boys & Pursuit of Happiness to justify your views which are clearly not "Current".

Lookie here bruh, I ain't typin all day nor did I post to have a debate. If you don't agree I'm cool with that but I'll still feel that there's a HUGE as$ void of underrepresentation of Non-c00n, intelligent, talented, Black Folk Leading Major mainstream film. :yeshrug:And you know in all honesty, it isn't just "Black actors" but "ALL Non-white". Why aren't there any Lead Hispanics, Asians or Middle Eastern actors in these American Blockbusters for that matter? I wanna see everybody in on the action putting out QUALITY but I guess that's Silly of me :sas2:

... Whatever fellow Coli, Agree to Disagree.

:wow: