First Look: Will Smith and Margot Robbie in ‘Focus’ Update: New Trailer Posted

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Kingsman was a heavily marked big budget action movie
it beat studio expectations because of the international BOX OFFICE, it's US sales at this point barely recouped the budget

None of the actors in this will ever be on Will Smith's level or sniff his accomplishments, their two types of movies

The nikka is 46 years old, what actor is in their box office prime at 46, also this movie isn't action fantasy shyt speical effects like shytsman

fakkits like george clooney who got all this hype was never even in this nikka realm their whole careers

You got real hateration coming at will is just funny, like your own this crusade to prove why will smith shouldn't be in movies, its weak

he debuted number 1 regardless

It ain't hate breh I got no beef with him I got beef with how the studio marketed the movie. Plus I clearly said I'm interested in Suicide Squad and I said pages ago that I really want to see his concussion movie. That stuff interests me. This movie never did. I'm not surprised it didn't perform well initially in the US but I also won't be surprised if it performs really well overseas. I just want Will to do some dope shyt man and he's been putting out rather blah stuff for the past few years. Do something interesting, do something with a spark and I'm there day one. This movie never looked like that to me. But Will playing a bad guy, an assassin no less, with true inner conflict and turmoil? sign me up. It's time to step out of the box man

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody's revelling in his downfall (at least I don't think me and @MartyMcFly are)

What I'm wondering is, how many Focus' are we gonna get before Will Smith figures those days are done and does something smaller and great?

lmao Focus is smaller for him, which is why people can't cope with the numbers

Will Smith has never made great movies, he makes entertaining movies

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
20 million on a 50 mill budget is not bad at all for a first week, damn just looking at the box office ish is horrible this year, hot tub time machine 2 10 million total? :heh:, jupiter ascending 43 mill in 4 weeks?

even the way they were talking about fifty shades of grey 150 mill after all these weeks

that's alot of money tho, but again, that's a very NICHE film that caters to a certain group.

American Sniper was a niche film, it made a ton from a certain demographic.

But in general a good comedy, a regular action film or something else isn't doing much anymore.

If it's not a niche film or a franchise or cgi film, it's not drawing much these days b/c the mass audience has been trained to only like those. .

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
that's alot of money tho, but again, that's a very NICHE film that caters to a certain group.

American Sniper was a niche film, it made a ton from a certain demographic.

But in general a good comedy, a regular action film or something else isn't doing much anymore.

If it's not a niche film or a franchise or cgi film, it's not drawing much these days b/c the mass audience has been trained to only like those. .

just the way they were bigging up 50 shades of grey etc. I thought it would have gained more $$$ in america

and yeah I honestly wonder if straight to dvd/youtube or straight to netflix will be the new thing as the years go on

I have like 3 giftcards with like 50 dollars on it to go to movies but I have no desire to go to a theatre

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
just the way they were bigging up 50 shades of grey etc. I thought it would have gained more $$$ in america

and yeah I honestly wonder if straight to dvd/youtube or straight to netflix will be the new thing as the years go on

I have like 3 giftcards with like 50 dollars on it to go to movies but I have no desire to go to a theatre

Lucas and Spielberg predicted that a year to ago, saying very similar things that @jadillac is saying, and that the only way for smaller movies to survive is through the direct to video market, which includes netflix. The public is only willing to spend all of that money on a movie if it's based on an established property or its a comic book movie it seems. I don't know if I completely agree with this but there does seem to be evidence of us headed in that direction in the U.S.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Lucas and Spielberg predicted that a year to ago, saying very similar things that @jadillac is saying, and that the only way for smaller movies to survive is through the direct to video market, which includes netflix. The public is only willing to spend all of that money on a movie if it's based on an established property or its a comic book movie it seems. I don't know if I completely agree with this but there does seem to be evidence of us headed in that direction in the U.S.

i honestly wouldnt mind it, that movie the interview went striaght to youtube then right to netflix and i loved it

i look at hot tub time machine 2, what a waste, but if it went straight to netflix or straight to dvd it would have prob made more

i have no desire to go to the theater anymore

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i honestly wouldnt mind it, that movie the interview went striaght to youtube then right to netflix and i loved it

i look at hot tub time machine 2, what a waste, but if it went straight to netflix or straight to dvd it would have prob made more

i have no desire to go to the theater anymore

Whereas I watched the interview and was happy I could see it for my 7.99 a month because if I paid to see it in a theater I would've been tight. I love going to the theater though. There's something about the experience and just being in that place for 2 hours with a large group of people, especially if its a horror movie. I'll never stop going but I can understand why people are more judicious because theater prices are insane, especially when you add in concessions

jadillac

Veteran
Daps

I have a nice theatre 2 miles from my house and it's only $5 for matinee. So for me, it's cheap to go to the movies. I still enjoy the big screen and sound of the movies as well as it just being an alternate venue. I have a nice surround setup and big screen at home, but I don't think I'll ever be a strictly "buy from iTunes, Google Play, Netflix" watcher.

But hey, if Netflix sold new movies for $5, that'd be pretty hard to pass up for most people. I think they're gonna have to take a chance on a new film and try that approach.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Whereas I watched the interview and was happy I could see it for my 7.99 a month because if I paid to see it in a theater I would've been tight. I love going to the theater though. There's something about the experience and just being in that place for 2 hours with a large group of people, especially if its a horror movie. I'll never stop going but I can understand why people are more judicious because theater prices are insane, especially when you add in concessions

up here in canada its nearly 12 dollars for a film

i pay 8 bucks a month for netflix

even the films I woulndt mind seeing in a theather its so packed i get crummy ass seats straining my neck

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
But hey, if Netflix sold new movies for $5, that'd be pretty hard to pass up for most people. I think they're gonna have to take a chance on a new film and try that approach.

this would be perfect :blessed:

they did that with veronica mars in the theather and on vod at the same timee

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I have a nice theatre 2 miles from my house and it's only $5 for matinee. So for me, it's cheap to go to the movies. I still enjoy the big screen and sound of the movies as well as it just being an alternate venue. I have a nice surround setup and big screen at home, but I don't think I'll ever be a strictly "buy from iTunes, Google Play, Netflix" watcher.

If there was EVER a reason for stuff like that, a fluff movie like this is exactly WHY that should exist.

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Movie was just average, my girl liked it more, like others have said, its a good date night movie

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
lmao Focus is smaller for him, which is why people can't cope with the numbers

Will Smith has never made great movies, he makes entertaining movies

I'm not sure if it's a strategic move by hollywood and the media or something else, but since and during AE there's been a negative trend of reporting against Will Smith. Maybe it's when he smacked the gay guy in Russia - who knows but yeah this was a medium budget film and it opened well and will be profitable.

Take into the account the blizzards and inclimate weather sweeping the south and midwest and you can easily see why there's been soft #s across the board.

I mean Ali was around $14m opening, no one was calling it a flop - were they?