First Look: Will Smith and Margot Robbie in ‘Focus’ Update: New Trailer Posted

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
it was originally reported that Focus had a 100M production budget which would have been a disaster. Myself and a couple others on here mentioned how ridiculous that budget amount was for such a simple film like this that is likely 90% CGI. there was one dude justifying the 100M budget with reasons like "it's because Will is such a big star" and "it cost money to use fancy cars and be in exotic locations". Sure it cost money to rent out fancy cars and villas in Argentina, but not 100 million :pachaha:

Fortunately for Will that budget was proven to be false and this movie SHOULD be profitable when it's all said and done with a 50M budget. it grossed 31M worldwide in it's first weekend and will decline drastically each week most likely ending up somewhere around 100-120M two or three months from now. still pretty weak numbers considering what Will has done in the past though.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Yeah, but what about the rest of the population who do know him from those things?

They ain't show out?

I can't remember what thread I said it in, but Will Smith, Tom Cruise and that ilk has had their time. They simply can't open movies big any more.

:yeshrug:
it's a shytty movie... i explained it before in this thread... it's basically every damn heist movie ever..

look at will's big blockbusters.... they are BIG BLOCKBUSTERS... will doesn't even drop movies if it ain't summertime... he was Mr. July when it came to movies

now he's doing some shyt like this.... nobody cares about this movie.. i don't know why they'd give it this big budget like anyone would care about this movie. i don't know a single person who'd guess this would make it's money back

if will dropped Independence day 2 or bad boys 3 or even a fukking MIB 4.... he'd be the 100 million dollar man again easy

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm not sure if it's a strategic move by hollywood and the media or something else, but since and during AE there's been a negative trend of reporting against Will Smith. Maybe it's when he smacked the gay guy in Russia - who knows but yeah this was a medium budget film and it opened well and will be profitable.

Take into the account the blizzards and inclimate weather sweeping the south and midwest and you can easily see why there's been soft #s across the board.

I mean Ali was around $14m opening, no one was calling it a flop - were they?
lol ali wasn't a 14 million opening

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
yep remember when dudes like eddie murphy, travolta were getting like 20 mill per film?

even johnny depp aint drawing like he used to except for pirates
same with tom cruise only mission impossible, i mean edge of tomorrow was a great damn film
:francis: edge of tomorrow made over 300 mill breh

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $100,206,256 27.1%
+ Foreign: $269,000,000 72.9%
= Worldwide: $369,206,256

that's what i mean..... give these dudes a blockbuster and nobody cares WHO's in it... they just want to see some shyt blow up and explosions and special effects... will KNOWS this

When Smith decided to enter the movie business, as he told the television program “60 Minutes,” he did so in a very deliberate fashion by doing his due diligence on what constituted success in the movies. And every business can take a page from his playbook.

First, he gathered the right data — information that was current, accurate, relevant and sufficient to make his decision. Second, he analyzed it for patterns or insights, and discovered that the top 10 movies included special effects; nine of 10 included special effects with creatures; and eight of 10 included special effects, creatures, and a love story. His first two movies, “Independence Day” and “Men in Black,” followed that model, and grossed $1.3 billion combined.

Third, he didn’t look to his competition for guidance. In the mid-1990s, when the biggest movie actors were Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks, Smith opted against making the same films they did. Instead, his strategy was to look at the top-grossing movies, and analyze what made them so — and most importantly, give the movie fans (the buyers of his product) what they wanted.

he just stopped doing it... i'm sure if he went back to the formula of big budget special effects... he'd be right back in the drivers seat

LastManStanding

Veteran
Daps
lol ali wasn't a 14 million opening

actually it was.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=ali.htm

however with that said, Ali was a massive flop. it only grossed 87 million worldwide on a 107 million dollar budget. so considering the studio typically gets around 55% of the total gross, Ali only brought back about 47 million resulting in a loss of at least 60 million at the box office plus whatever was spent on advertising.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Lucas and Spielberg predicted that a year to ago, saying very similar things that @jadillac is saying, and that the only way for smaller movies to survive is through the direct to video market, which includes netflix. The public is only willing to spend all of that money on a movie if it's based on an established property or its a comic book movie it seems. I don't know if I completely agree with this but there does seem to be evidence of us headed in that direction in the U.S.

it's headed there breh the theatrical to home video window is now like 2.5 months.. continuing to shrink

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Kingsman made a little over 40 percent of his budget back open weekend, and this movie has made roughly 40 percent

so why is this movie a failure and kingsman not

lets wait to see the international box office

this movie was barely even promoted, matter of fact this forum is the only place I've seen it

the movie debuted number one, why woudl you even expect this type of movie to do 50 million at the box office opening week

it's not that serious

when arnold stopping doing terminator numbers in the mid 90's nobody went out there way to point the finger and laugh

news flash nothing last forever people get old, Will Smith should've had a replacement ten years ago, but movie stars do not exists anymore

in what alternate universe do you live? :dahell:

this shyt was on previews every day for MONTHS. damn near every commercial break

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
actually it was.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=ali.htm

however with that said, Ali was a massive flop. it only grossed 87 million worldwide on a 107 million dollar budget. so considering the studio typically gets around 55% of the total gross, Ali only brought back about 47 million resulting in a loss of at least 60 million at the box office plus whatever was spent on advertising.

How did ali end up being a flop?:dwillhuh:

He's an iconic figure

Last edited: