First Look: Will Smith and Margot Robbie in ‘Focus’ Update: New Trailer Posted

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
They still show out for other movies.

I'm not on some anti-Will Smith shyt, but the writing has been on the wall for that late 90's A-List Hollywood gang.

Their time has been and gone, now it's time to do interesting movies instead of swinging for the fences. They shouldn't "give up", but the days of putting WIll Smith in a $50 million dollar movie that would be a $15 mllion dollar movie for someone else and expecting to almost recoup out of the gate is done for.

Nowadays it's not about the star as much as its about the hook. We can see stars anytime now, half of them never shut up on Twitter or Facebook. So the key is seeing them in something that looks interesting; you can't just put Will or Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks in any flick now and assume it's going to be a hit; there has to be a hook to it that makes it look interesting to the public

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
They still show out for other movies.

I'm not on some anti-Will Smith shyt, but the writing has been on the wall for that late 90's A-List Hollywood gang.

Their time has been and gone, now it's time to do interesting movies instead of swinging for the fences. They shouldn't "give up", but the days of putting WIll Smith in a $50 million dollar movie that would be a $15 mllion dollar movie for someone else and expecting to almost recoup out of the gate is done for.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Will. BUT, in general, movies aren't making a ton unless they're marketed to a specific niche. And while "Big Willie" isn't huge anymore, it's in part b/c of the change in fan demographics. The people who grew up watching Fresh Prince or rushing to see ID4 on opening day are older now and have priorities. THEIR kids want to see OTHER films in the theaters.

And it doesnt help that Hollwood has almost created 1-type of fan anymore.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Nowadays it's not about the star as much as its about the hook. We can see stars anytime now, half of them never shut up on Twitter or Facebook. So the key is seeing them in something that looks interesting; you can't just put Will or Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks in any flick now and assume it's going to be a hit; there has to be a hook to it that makes it look interesting to the public

That's exactly what I said lol. Do interesting movies.

I completely agree, and I was gonna use Gravity as an example.

Tell me you've got a movie with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and I'd ask you if a ticket comes with a time machine to 97.

Tell me you've got a movie with JUST Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and it's set in space where they're drifting, and I'll wanna know/see more.

Focus should have come out in 03. It probably would have recouped lol

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That's exactly what I said lol. Do interesting movies.

I completely agree, and I was gonna use Gravity as an example.

Tell me you've got a movie with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and I'd ask you if a ticket comes with a time machine to 97.

Tell me you've got a movie with JUST Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and it's set in space where they're drifting, and I'll wanna know/see more.

Focus should have come out in 03. It probably would have recouped lol

:salute: Word. And I think Will is getting to that or at least he says he is. He wants to do interesting movies that may or may not be number 1 smashes and that's what he should do. To use your Gravity example, I'm pretty sure Sandra and Clooney didn't sign on assuming it'd be as big as it was but they just wanted to make something they felt was interesting

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
:salute: Word. And I think Will is getting to that or at least he says he is. He wants to do interesting movies that may or may not be number 1 smashes and that's what he should do. To use your Gravity example, I'm pretty sure Sandra and Clooney didn't sign on assuming it'd be as big as it was but they just wanted to make something they felt was interesting

My gut is telling me Will Smith would slaughter an HBO show right about now/in a year or two.

I can't quite put my finger on what it would be about, but I think 10 episodes on HBO in the right role and Will would be back like a motherfukker.

I do wonder though, if his hubris would stop him from "stooping" to the lowly depths of TV?

:patrice:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
My gut is telling me Will Smith would slaughter an HBO show right about now/in a year or two.

I can't quite put my finger on what it would be about, but I think 10 episodes on HBO in the right role and Will would be back like a motherfukker.

I do wonder though, if his hubris would stop him from "stooping" to the lowly depths of TV?

:patrice:

I think he's getting humbled a bit so hopefully his hubris would subside. Plus to be real, he just signed on to a potentially big time franchise so he'll be fine as long as that's a hit and he can always have that to fall back on

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also doesn't help that they couldn't find the right angle to promote the movie. You gotta know how to sell something and to me, this movie never quite found its footing in that regard. It didn't have a built in audience like 50 shades and it didn't look fun like Kingsman. If I'm thinking of previous con-artists/twists movies, they each were presented with a certain vibe that let you know exactly what you were getting into and weren't ambiguous about what they were selling, which this ad campaign seemed to be. The Oceans 11 trailers sold a certain type of movie with a certain vibe, along with something like The Italian Job. This campaign bounced between being very serious when it first started and then trying to be light and breezy as we got closer to the release date, and mixed messages is never the right way to sell anything, let alone a $50 million movie

Kingsman made a little over 40 percent of his budget back open weekend, and this movie has made roughly 40 percent

so why is this movie a failure and kingsman not

lets wait to see the international box office

this movie was barely even promoted, matter of fact this forum is the only place I've seen it

the movie debuted number one, why woudl you even expect this type of movie to do 50 million at the box office opening week

it's not that serious

when arnold stopping doing terminator numbers in the mid 90's nobody went out there way to point the finger and laugh

news flash nothing last forever people get old, Will Smith should've had a replacement ten years ago, but movie stars do not exists anymore

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I'm not saying you're wrong about Will. BUT, in general, movies aren't making a ton unless they're marketed to a specific niche. And while "Big Willie" isn't huge anymore, it's in part b/c of the change in fan demographics. The people who grew up watching Fresh Prince or rushing to see ID4 on opening day are older now and have priorities. THEIR kids want to see OTHER films in the theaters.

And it doesnt help that Hollwood has almost created 1-type of fan anymore.

yep remember when dudes like eddie murphy, travolta were getting like 20 mill per film?

even johnny depp aint drawing like he used to except for pirates
same with tom cruise only mission impossible, i mean edge of tomorrow was a great damn film

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think he's getting humbled a bit so hopefully his hubris would subside. Plus to be real, he just signed on to a potentially big time franchise so he'll be fine as long as that's a hit and he can always have that to fall back on

Why would he be humbled?

Because he's 46 years old, and still debuting number 1

is not that serious, this i some lebron level shyt, no actor is held to this standard, it's like nikkaz is happy will smith ain't shattering box office records at nearly 50 years pitiful

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
20 million on a 50 mill budget is not bad at all for a first week, damn just looking at the box office ish is horrible this year, hot tub time machine 2 10 million total? :heh:, jupiter ascending 43 mill in 4 weeks?

even the way they were talking about fifty shades of grey 150 mill after all these weeks

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Kingsman made a little over 40 percent of his budget back open weekend, and this movie has made roughly 40 percent

so why is this movie a failure and kingsman not

lets wait to see the international box office

this movie was barely even promoted, matter of fact this forum is the only place I've seen it

the movie debuted number one, why woudl you even expect this type of movie to do 50 million at the box office opening week

it's not that serious

when arnold stopping doing terminator numbers in the mid 90's nobody went out there way to point the finger and laugh

news flash nothing last forever people get old, Will Smith should've had a replacement ten years ago, but movie stars do not exists anymore

Because Kingsman beat studio expectations and didn't feature one of the biggest box office draws in history

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because Kingsman beat studio expectations and didn't feature one of the biggest box office draws in history

Kingsman was a heavily marked big budget action movie
it beat studio expectations because of the international BOX OFFICE, it's US sales at this point barely recouped the budget

None of the actors in this will ever be on Will Smith's level or sniff his accomplishments, their two types of movies

The nikka is 46 years old, what actor is in their box office prime at 46, also this movie isn't action fantasy shyt speical effects like shytsman

fakkits like george clooney who got all this hype was never even in this nikka realm their whole careers

You got real hateration coming at will is just funny, like your own this crusade to prove why will smith shouldn't be in movies, its weak

he debuted number 1 regardless

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Why would he be humbled?

Because he's 46 years old, and still debuting number 1

is not that serious, this i some lebron level shyt, no actor is held to this standard, it's like nikkaz is happy will smith ain't shattering box office records at nearly 50 years pitiful

Nobody's revelling in his downfall (at least I don't think me and @MartyMcFly are)

What I'm wondering is, how many Focus' are we gonna get before Will Smith figures those days are done and does something smaller and great?