First Look: Will Smith and Margot Robbie in ‘Focus’ Update: New Trailer Posted

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I'm taking about the movie giving you clues to the truth, which didn't happen.

The entire being sequence at the faux Super Bowl was nonsense.

My biggest problem was how their relationship ended in New Orleans. No reasoning, nothing. And we're supposed to care about them three years later? Nah.

How many times before that did he repeatedly say, "there's no room for love" "there's no place for a heart in this" etc. You could see on his face when he told her it was over, that he was getting attached to her, and that's why he let her go.

Now Her magically appearing 3 years later in Argentina of all places was weird.....but again, this was a movie that requires you letting your mind wander

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm taking about the movie giving you clues to the truth, which didn't happen.

The entire being sequence at the faux Super Bowl was nonsense.

My biggest problem was how their relationship ended in New Orleans. No reasoning, nothing. And we're supposed to care about them three years later? Nah.

The Super Bowl scene was the "big hit" that Nicky falsely claimed they didn't do. That entire first half of the film from the virtual part of meeting her was all part of the plan to set the Asian dude up. She got played and got caught all up in her emotions. Nicky was up in his emotions as well but had to check himself. That's why he had to quit for 3 years to get his "focus" back. The 1st half of the film was the set up for the 2nd half to show what happens when Nicky becomes unfocused at the task and was all up in his feelings.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How many times before that did he repeatedly say, "there's no room for love" "there's no place for a heart in this" etc. You could see on his face when he told her it was over, that he was getting attached to her, and that's why he let her go.

Now Her magically appearing 3 years later in Argentina of all places was weird.....but again, this was a movie that requires you letting your mind wander

I really think that wasn't coincidental. Just like her meeting him the 1st time wasn't just "by chance". They gave many clues throughout the movie that everything that happened was done with intention. What's not fully fleshed out is who actually sent her? Nicky or Owen? I'm leaning more towards Owen, because he knew Nicky's weakness and anticipated what would of happened when throwing her into the mix. You gotta listen to that his speech again at the end of the movie.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I really think that wasn't coincidental. Just like her meeting him the 1st time wasn't just "by chance". They gave many clues throughout the movie that everything that happened was done with intention. What's not fully fleshed out is who actually sent her? Nicky or Owen? I'm leaning more towards Owen, because he knew Nicky's weakness and anticipated what would of happened when throwing her into the mix. You gotta listen to that his speech again at the end of the movie.

I really thought she came into the movie too fast to begin with. They could've spent an extra 5 mins at the beginning on a set up.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really thought she came into the movie too fast to begin with. They could've spent an extra 5 mins at the beginning on a set up.

What for? Why not cut to the chase. The entire film is about MISDIRECTION. So why set up something that was meant to be a misdirection?

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The way he left her after New Orleans had very little to do with anything but the arbitrary direction of the script….is there any reason why she couldn't have tagged along for awhile, in a casual relationship? Is there any reason she couldn't have been let down easier, then leaving her ass in an uber, like a ransom drop just took place? Nah….thats all for the script and direction of the story, which is going to happen in movies, but when the characters start acting almost exclusively for the purpose of the screenplay, you lose your attachment, and ability to relate.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I just saw focus and I lijed it , it's a hitch version of a con movie though . It's like Hancock I think abd will read the script liked it but was too dark for his taste and he will smithed it up . I don't need a happy ending and criminals with hearts of gold in these type of movies . But will and Margot had very good chemistry and I can see them playing off each other good as deadshot /Harley

i'll check for it :ehh:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
3/5

will smith is a great leading man. effortless screen presence. story is a bit thin. kinda empty but was decent popcorn entertainment.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
That's it?:dwillhuh:

mostly, if it's not CGI or a "blockbuster", it ain't makin no money w/ the younger crowd. Hollywood has painted themself into a corner.

Think about a 19-20 year old. They don't know Will as a rapper, or the Fresh Prince, or Bad Boys, etc....they mainly know him from After Earth. :francis:

They know his name/face of course, but they don't relate to him as being a "cool" figure thru-out their life.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
mostly, if it's not CGI or a "blockbuster", it ain't makin no money w/ the younger crowd. Hollywood has painted themself into a corner.

Think about a 19-20 year old. They don't know Will as a rapper, or the Fresh Prince, or Bad Boys, etc....they mainly know him from After Earth. :francis:

They know his name/face of course, but they don't relate to him as being a "cool" figure thru-out their life.

Yeah, but what about the rest of the population who do know him from those things?

They ain't show out?

I can't remember what thread I said it in, but Will Smith, Tom Cruise and that ilk has had their time. They simply can't open movies big any more.

:yeshrug:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, but what about the rest of the population who do know him from those things?

They ain't show out?

I can't remember what thread I said it in, but Will Smith, Tom Cruise and that ilk has had their time. They simply can't open movies big any more.

:yeshrug:

You mean the 29-30+ crowd who now have children, families, and very little free time?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Also doesn't help that they couldn't find the right angle to promote the movie. You gotta know how to sell something and to me, this movie never quite found its footing in that regard. It didn't have a built in audience like 50 shades and it didn't look fun like Kingsman. If I'm thinking of previous con-artists/twists movies, they each were presented with a certain vibe that let you know exactly what you were getting into and weren't ambiguous about what they were selling, which this ad campaign seemed to be. The Oceans 11 trailers sold a certain type of movie with a certain vibe, along with something like The Italian Job. This campaign bounced between being very serious when it first started and then trying to be light and breezy as we got closer to the release date, and mixed messages is never the right way to sell anything, let alone a $50 million movie

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
You mean the 29-30+ crowd who now have children, families, and very little free time?

They still show out for other movies.

I'm not on some anti-Will Smith shyt, but the writing has been on the wall for that late 90's A-List Hollywood gang.

Their time has been and gone, now it's time to do interesting movies instead of swinging for the fences. They shouldn't "give up", but the days of putting WIll Smith in a $50 million dollar movie that would be a $15 mllion dollar movie for someone else and expecting to almost recoup out of the gate is done for.