First Look: Will Smith and Margot Robbie in ‘Focus’ Update: New Trailer Posted

Dolla$

Minus the bullsh*t...life's great
Daps
Off topic, but that black ring Will had on when he was driving was hard ass hell. Need to cop something similar

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it last night….This isn't really a good movie, but it was an enjoyable one. Just going in, the concept it a rehash of a retread of a concept thats been done in film nearly since it's inception, more experienced con man/hitman/bank robber/detective takes on a amateur partner, and ends up romantically conflicted/involved/platonic but mutual respect…The opening scenes are well done enough, Will had a few lines in the beginning scene that weren't entirely stale or flat, but that set up has been done so many times, and this one didn't add anything new or interesting, the audience is as unimpressed as Smith's character.

The following scenes leading up to the Super Bowl are engaging and slick enough nonsense, that a team of 60 or so criminals would work in tandem, without getting caught or compromised, with large safe houses and group dinners…it's absurd. But, it's smooth and nicely directed, I wouldn't say theres a LACK of chemistry between Robbie and Smith, but there was a definite predictable feel to the entire ordeal (as well as the movie) but their relationship in particular was just not engaging enough. The scenes with BD Wong playing way against type were also fun, if preposterous….but the concluding scenes were heavy handed and too on the nose, maybe it's good acting, but I saw Smith's slight change in expression, and was like 'oh this is where he tells here she's all been a part of the con, even though he really has feelings, he's going to cut her off….for no discernible reason'. That happens, in a overly melodramatic fashion, and we move on to the films second phase. The pacing also felt off, less like a movie, then 2 big set pieces…but matters very little.

The second phase was less enjoyable, but still keeps the same slick tone of the first, with wealthier and more menacing inhabiters of the world of the hideously wealthy men, who swagger with machismo and lust for power and race skanks. I may be grasping for a point, but I am tired of these types playing in movies with no real compelling qualities, or insights into their characters. They are like junior james bond villains, caricatures. And, I have grown tired of the never-ending parties and glamour, with no substance behind it, in these types of films. The Buenos Aires locale is well shot and captured though. I liked the Australian, who has at least a few quick lines that were subtly hilarious, in their delivery….The other mark felt like an undercooked Oliver Martinez. Yes, the characters make poor decisions, and coincidence rears it's head far too much too take anything very seriously….It reminded me a lot of 'Maverick' 1994 in the last 20 minutes or so….As I said earlier the relationship between Smith and Jess is underdeveloped, and I am sure both actors could have pulled it off, but the script leads them astray in that area. I can't claim to have figured out every twist or reveal, but I did pretty well, it could be a critique of me or the movie, that I was less interested in figuring them out, then just getting it over with. I knew the bodyguard security character was wrong somehow….esp. after that odd hotel scene, which serves no real purpose, except as a clue, and to show off Smith's physique. All in all, everyone looks good, sounds better, and dresses perfectly, and it all ends nicely….and I enjoyed the expereince, though it is a B- movie.

Spolier: I have also had it with the 'joke' or twist where one character makes off with 25 million dollars (a ridiculous sum) in a jovial manner, it's a callous move and doesn't fit with the rest of the movie, and Smith's reaction, or lack thereof is frustrating. That's 25 million dollars. fukk. At least threaten his life. The motivations and context make no sense.

Edit: Also, I know since they introduced that con in the beginning (shooting your partner) they would use it….but the way things unfolded, weren't there at least 2 different ways to handle that, without shooting your surrogate son? And, I don't think anyone would walk way from those duffle bags, no matter what happened. If you have to leave, at least grab a bag.

It made perfect sense if you paid attention or recall the background story of the father. Especially him shooting Nicky's grandfather. Nicky was about to really spill it out, hence the reason why Owen shot him, because Owen was the real reason how Nicky was able to hack into the system. This is also intentional because since both being con-men, his father gives no fuccks and is out for self, whereas Nicky actually have a heart, which was why his father calls him "Mellow". It's why he isn't callous and have that no fuccks attitude that almost jeopardized the heist. Owen clearly explained that Nicky's feelings with that girl was the reason why he got caught. He took the money to teach him a lesson. Nicky may of been upset, but understand the game, and his feelings lighten up a bit because ol' stole STILL stole the $200,000 watch.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, when i can watch it for free :lolbron: and for the sake of margot robbie fine ass :mjcry:
I just saw focus and I lijed it , it's a hitch version of a con movie though . It's like Hancock I think abd will read the script liked it but was too dark for his taste and he will smithed it up . I don't need a happy ending and criminals with hearts of gold in these type of movies . But will and Margot had very good chemistry and I can see them playing off each other good as deadshot /Harley

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I understand all that in theory, or how the script explains, I just think it is a lot to ask the audience to believe of the character and the circumstances...

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i see the coli snobs in full effect for this movie :ehh: but im seeing more "decent" and "enjoyable" from my other coli brethren so its looking like a watch for me
It's a will smith movie , it's good . But I think after 7 pounds we Wont be getting dark dark will smith again

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I understand all that in theory, or how the script explains, I just think it is a lot to ask the audience to believe of the character and the circumstances...

Being that the movie is titled "Focus" and it is in reference for the AUDIENCE to pay attention, they'll only going to explain things just once, but you have to keep everything in mind to include possible character motives which they purposely manipulate. They understand the intelligence of the audience and I think at the very LEAST respect them to not have everything spoon-fed.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No it's not man. The movie rewarded people for paying attention

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
lol I know you go hard for movies you like, and you can tell I did like this movie…but lets not act like it's something it's not. It's a subpar script, a cliche riddled storyline, full of hackneyed 'twists'…..I understand the entire concept and twists completely, I alluded to this is the review, even if I didn't get all of them….I know you're the type that likes a movie from the bottom to the top, it's ok to criticize some elements, and praise others.

edit: where am i asking anything to be spoon fed? So, you're saying it's perfectly reasonable for father and son to play a heist for three years, then execute the heist….then after mistakes are made on both sides…..take the most extreme action possible, then save sons life, and steal the money from him….or leave him stranded in a Buenos Aires hospital lugging around 25 million in the AM…..moments after delivering a monologue explaining Will was never 'soft', it was HIM that was made soft by Will….It's bad writing and underdeveloped characters….

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Being that the movie is titled "Focus" and it is in reference for the AUDIENCE to pay attention, they'll only going to explain things just once, but you have to keep everything in mind to include possible character motives which they purposely manipulate. They understand the intelligence of the audience and I think at the very LEAST respect them to not have everything spoon-fed.
Exactly . The movie isn't even that deep and once he got caught in the lie I knew it had to be the other character in the plot , and they established that both characters traits led to the shooting . For God sakes the man shot his own father for a con and will was said to be too soft to the point he quit conning and now you see why will stays out of big cons so stuff like this doesn't hsppen . It's all realistic in the world of the movie

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol I know you go hard for movies you like, and you can tell I did like this movie…but lets not act like it's something it's not. It's a subpar script, a cliche riddled storyline, full of hackneyed 'twists'…..I understand the entire concept and twists completely, I alluded to this is the review, even if I didn't get all of them….I know you're the type that likes a movie from the bottom to the top, it's ok to criticize some elements, and praise others.
Your entitled to your own opinion but you seem to be mad it wasn't a more hardcore crime movie .

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
well, I don't make any apologies that I would like most things darker….but the movie seems more confused on that issue then me, in this case.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

edit: where am i asking anything to be spoon fed? So, you're saying it's perfectly reasonable for father and son to play a heist for three years, then execute the heist….then after mistakes are made on both sides…..take the most extreme action possible, then save sons life, and steal the money from him….or leave him stranded in a Buenos Aires hospital lugging around 25 million in the AM…..moments after delivering a monologue explaining Will was never 'soft', it was HIM that was made soft by Will….It's bad writing and underdeveloped characters….
See you didn't follow the movie :snoop: father planned it for three years , will just came in a year ago man, he had quit due to the girl . It was established will was soft , and the father was a jackass he left will all those years ago when he was a kid, you think he won't leave his grown ass son ?? He warned will that he was burnt And will stayed so long he got himself caught. Also the man even shot his own father over a card game you think he not shooting will in that situation ? He had no other choice unless he murdered everyone else