First Look: Will Smith and Margot Robbie in ‘Focus’ Update: New Trailer Posted

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Terrible movie. There is NOTHING to the characters besides what you see on screen....which isn't all that much to begin with lol. Most superficial film I've seen in a quite some time.

Also, the script is a steaming pile of shyt. Characters laugh at the oddest dialog, and seem to be reacting to entirely different scenes....possibly from different movies.

fukk this, just watch Pickpocket and The Sting instead.

Everyone should watch The Sting all the time

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
It's a decent flick.

I'm hearing it's getting bad reviews but it's a solid B-

The thing I didn't realize until the end of the film was that the reason it's called "Focus" is for the audience, literally. The film is designed to make you think you figured it out only to twist it on you. The film gives you most of the clues/rules throughout.

Overall it's a decent flick and it's cool to see Will doing films again.

I really wish that white chick got naked again :noah:

I also wonder if will smiths character is loosely based off of Darren Brown:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word, the movie title is meant for the audience. It purposely trying to remind you to pay attention and that everything in this is nothing but a big con. I enjoyed it for what it is even though the last portion was a bit over-the-top for me. But, even with that, I have no clue if that was all planned out, or incidental, or planned out by the so-called (real) antagonist.... It's a con/heist movie for people who loves con/heist movies.

If ANYTHING it is beautiful to watch, especially in IMAX.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
It's a decent flick.

I'm hearing it's getting bad reviews but it's a solid B-

The thing I didn't realize until the end of the film was that the reason it's called "Focus" is for the audience, literally. The film is designed to make you think you figured it out only to twist it on you. The film gives you most of the clues/rules throughout.

Overall it's a decent flick and it's cool to see Will doing films again.\

:mjlol:

It does no such thing.

Ari Gold Bawse

The Bawse of all Bosses
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
Didn't feel it.

After new Orleans the film went downhill imo, they had good chemistry though.

I thought she was going to con him at the end though and funny coincidence that she just happened to be there

dad really going to leave him with a gunshot wound and take all the money ey :mjpls:

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Saw it last night….This isn't really a good movie, but it was an enjoyable one. Just going in, the concept it a rehash of a retread of a concept thats been done in film nearly since it's inception, more experienced con man/hitman/bank robber/detective takes on a amateur partner, and ends up romantically conflicted/involved/platonic but mutual respect…The opening scenes are well done enough, Will had a few lines in the beginning scene that weren't entirely stale or flat, but that set up has been done so many times, and this one didn't add anything new or interesting, the audience is as unimpressed as Smith's character.

The following scenes leading up to the Super Bowl are engaging and slick enough nonsense, that a team of 60 or so criminals would work in tandem, without getting caught or compromised, with large safe houses and group dinners…it's absurd. But, it's smooth and nicely directed, I wouldn't say theres a LACK of chemistry between Robbie and Smith, but there was a definite predictable feel to the entire ordeal (as well as the movie) but their relationship in particular was just not engaging enough. The scenes with BD Wong playing way against type were also fun, if preposterous….but the concluding scenes were heavy handed and too on the nose, maybe it's good acting, but I saw Smith's slight change in expression, and was like 'oh this is where he tells here she's all been a part of the con, even though he really has feelings, he's going to cut her off….for no discernible reason'. That happens, in a overly melodramatic fashion, and we move on to the films second phase. The pacing also felt off, less like a movie, then 2 big set pieces…but matters very little.

The second phase was less enjoyable, but still keeps the same slick tone of the first, with wealthier and more menacing inhabiters of the world of the hideously wealthy men, who swagger with machismo and lust for power and race skanks. I may be grasping for a point, but I am tired of these types playing in movies with no real compelling qualities, or insights into their characters. They are like junior james bond villains, caricatures. And, I have grown tired of the never-ending parties and glamour, with no substance behind it, in these types of films. The Buenos Aires locale is well shot and captured though. I liked the Australian, who has at least a few quick lines that were subtly hilarious, in their delivery….The other mark felt like an undercooked Oliver Martinez. Yes, the characters make poor decisions, and coincidence rears it's head far too much too take anything very seriously….It reminded me a lot of 'Maverick' 1994 in the last 20 minutes or so….As I said earlier the relationship between Smith and Jess is underdeveloped, and I am sure both actors could have pulled it off, but the script leads them astray in that area. I can't claim to have figured out every twist or reveal, but I did pretty well, it could be a critique of me or the movie, that I was less interested in figuring them out, then just getting it over with. I knew the bodyguard security character was wrong somehow….esp. after that odd hotel scene, which serves no real purpose, except as a clue, and to show off Smith's physique. All in all, everyone looks good, sounds better, and dresses perfectly, and it all ends nicely….and I enjoyed the expereince, though it is a B- movie.

Spolier: I have also had it with the 'joke' or twist where one character makes off with 25 million dollars (a ridiculous sum) in a jovial manner, it's a callous move and doesn't fit with the rest of the movie, and Smith's reaction, or lack thereof is frustrating. That's 25 million dollars. fukk. At least threaten his life. The motivations and context make no sense.

Edit: Also, I know since they introduced that con in the beginning (shooting your partner) they would use it….but the way things unfolded, weren't there at least 2 different ways to handle that, without shooting your surrogate son? And, I don't think anyone would walk way from those duffle bags, no matter what happened. If you have to leave, at least grab a bag.

Last edited:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol:

It does no such thing.

Actually it does.

You at first think she's conning him, but then you think that's too obvious. you then think he's falling for her, but then that's too obvious.

Ultimately you don't know what's real until the end.

I will admit the ending w/ the "dad" is absurd, the premise of the movie is absurd in general, but I've seen y'all praise far less intriguing movies on here. So for me it's a "B" grade b/c I never got bored.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn't feel it.

After new Orleans the film went downhill imo, they had good chemistry though.

I thought she was going to con him at the end though and funny coincidence that she just happened to be there

dad really going to leave him with a gunshot wound and take all the money ey :mjpls:

There's NOTHING in this film that was by coincidence.... that was firmly hinted by how the first half played out.