First Amazing Spider-Man 2 Reviews In :lupe:

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
I feel you on all of that but definitely the bolded. Most spider man flicks, at least 2, ASM and ASM 2 have been character studies disguised as comic book flicks and for me it works. Electro isn't much of a character to be honest so he needs to share screen time with someone else at least for me and I feel like he served his purpose. I'll agree with @HHR that there is a lot of world building and when you do that, it sacrifices story but for me, the main story was Peter and him learning to accept things, let go of things, and ultimately what would happen between he and Gwen and what impact that would have on him and that's how the comics work. The villains are normally background to whatever main issue is going on in his life. My one criticism of the film is that the tone took some getting used to and the screenplay didn't seem too sure of which direction it wanted to go in tonally a few times. And I wanted more time of Harry and Peter because you're telling me they're best friends but not really showing it. Luckily Dane and Andrew are dope actors so they were able to inform a lot of that relationship in the few scenes they had together.

And much like ASM, it's easier for me to get behind this movie because I can get behind Peter and what he's going through. Oh and he finally made jokes and I felt like I saw Spider-Man on film for once and not some mute who calls himself Spider-Man
I gotta say, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Just about every word. I did have trouble buying the fact that Harry and Pete were friends. I was just like "How? How the hell would a kid worth 100 billion (or whatever figure they said) become friends with a working class kid from Forest Hills, Queens." That did give me pause, but like you said, Dane and Garfield made it work. Cosign the Electro criticism. I don't think he was meant to be on par with other comic movie villains, he was just there to give a clear cut villain and possibly sell toys. I can dig that. :ehh:

Yeah though, I agree with you, spider breh.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I gotta say, I agree with this wholeheartedly. Just about every word. I did have trouble buying the fact that Harry and Pete were friends. I was just like "How? How the hell would a kid worth 100 billion (or whatever figure they said) become friends with a working class kid from Forest Hills, Queens." That did give me pause, but like you said, Dane and Garfield made it work. Cosign the Electro criticism. I don't think he was meant to be on par with other comic movie villains, he was just there to give a clear cut villain and possibly sell toys. I can dig that. :ehh:

Yeah though, I agree with you, spider breh.

Word. Electro is a goon for hire, that's all he ever has been. Dudes like him, Rhino, Shocker, and Mysterio need to be a part of a team or hired by a boss to do dirt because on their own, they're meh from a character standpoint. They're fun yeah but they aren't Joker or Two Face or Goblin or Kraven.

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Word. Electro is a goon for hire, that's all he ever has been. Dudes like him, Rhino, Shocker, and Mysterio need to be a part of a team or hired by a boss to do dirt because on their own, they're meh from a character standpoint. They're fun yeah but they aren't Joker or Two Face or Goblin or Kraven.
Which is exactly what its looking like. :scheme:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Incredibly mediocre. I thought Garfield and Stone were great, their scenes were the best part of the movie.....and since it's a superhero film that's not really a good thing.

Electro was a TERRIBLE villain. Foxx wasn't very good, but he had nothing to work with. His motivation was essentially nonexistent and his plan, or whatever the fukk you want to call it, was ridiculous.

I didn't mind the Osborne/Goblin stuff, even though it was so rushed it felt like an accident.

Also, Gwen needed to be at the powergrid because "she's seen the specs and knows how to reset everything!"...then we see the control booth and theres a GIANT fukkING BUTTON THAT SAYS MASTER RESET. :snoop:

It was pretty obvious that most of the Parker legacy story was supposed to be in the first film...it was obvious then and now...and including it here just made an already cluttered movie even more so.

Once again, Webb and the writers manage to get Parker down pretty well, but butcher just about everything else in the movie. They can't help but to go for the corniest moment/song/line possible. It's just a shame.

5/10

The bolded is what killed me. Even if the button didn't make it ridiculously obvious how to reset it, the whole angle of Gwen needing to be there was just so incredibly forced. Like how did she drive a car stuck in traffic (motionless, abandoned traffic I should add) there? Why is she the only person besides Spider-Man going there to try and get the grid back up? How does Elektro reach a form of living energy that can zap/teleport himself through the air but Gwen can just run him over with a car like that?

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
The bolded is what killed me. Even if the button didn't make it ridiculously obvious how to reset it, the whole angle of Gwen needing to be there was just so incredibly forced. Like how did she drive a car stuck in traffic (motionless, abandoned traffic I should add) there? Why is she the only person besides Spider-Man going there to try and get the grid back up? How does Elektro reach a form of living energy that can zap/teleport himself through the air but Gwen can just run him over with a car like that?

Not a single thing about Electro made sense.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Incredibly mediocre. I thought Garfield and Stone were great, their scenes were the best part of the movie.....and since it's a superhero film that's not really a good thing.

Electro was a TERRIBLE villain. Foxx wasn't very good, but he had nothing to work with. His motivation was essentially nonexistent and his plan, or whatever the fukk you want to call it, was ridiculous.

I didn't mind the Osborne/Goblin stuff, even though it was so rushed it felt like an accident.

Also, Gwen needed to be at the powergrid because "she's seen the specs and knows how to reset everything!"...then we see the control booth and theres a GIANT fukkING BUTTON THAT SAYS MASTER RESET. :snoop:

It was pretty obvious that most of the Parker legacy story was supposed to be in the first film...it was obvious then and now...and including it here just made an already cluttered movie even more so.

Once again, Webb and the writers manage to get Parker down pretty well, but butcher just about everything else in the movie. They can't help but to go for the corniest moment/song/line possible. It's just a shame.

5/10
me and my homeboys were laughing our asses off about that switch shyt.....it was hilarious how the dudes hand was sticking up with the key too :laff:she supposed to be a genius but they giving her dumb blonde solutions :russ:...yall brought up some good points about electro i didnt even think of :wow:....oh and i forgot to put this in my review, ol boy from chronicle was dope as harry :ehh:

Last edited:

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
me and my homeboys were laughing our asses off about that switch shyt.....it was hilarious how the dudes hand was sticking up with the key too :laff:she supposed to be a generous but they giving her dumb blonde solutions :russ:...yall brought up some good points about electro i didnt even think of :wow:....oh and i forgot to put this in my review, ol boy from chronicle was dope as harry :ehh:

generous - genius, tank

daemonova

Daps
Do I need to see this in 3d? Or is it not worth me messing with the glasses?

it didn't seem like it was worth it to me but I aint a fan of 3d in the first place, i paid for it because it was earlier

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Not a single thing about Electro made sense.

What got me is, dude was supposed to be the super electrical genius, his design was used for the city grid...yet, he wasn't smart enough to know that his powers could be overcharged...:patrice:...I mean...I've overcharged and ruined batteries by leaving them in a charger to long:patrice:

And the clothes washing scene with aunt May...so she says she has been washing his clothes since he was a little boy...but she has never washed his spider man costume...I can imagine Parker sneaking into the wash room at like 3:00 am to wash the suit like :beli:

So aunt may doesn't have enough money to pay for peter to go to college...and she solves that problem...by going to nursing school :patrice:...cause when you don't have money for something that is exactly what you do...put all your time into something that will cause you to go into even more debt:patrice:

Harry's father died in his 60's...but Harry starts to suffer from the disease in his 20's...and starts dying within weeks of finding out...,meanwhile there are videos of his father well into his 40's looking just fine...:patrice:

Pretty bad editing all the way around

daemonova

Daps
What got me is, dude was supposed to be the super electrical genius, his design was used for the city grid...yet, he wasn't smart enough to know that his powers could be overcharged...:patrice:...I mean...I've overcharged and ruined batteries by leaving them in a charger to long:patrice:

And the clothes washing scene with aunt May...so she says she has been washing his clothes since he was a little boy...but she has never washed his spider man costume...I can imagine Parker sneaking into the wash room at like 3:00 am to wash the suit like :beli:

So aunt may doesn't have enough money to pay for peter to go to college...and she solves that problem...by going to nursing school :patrice:...cause when you don't have money for something that is exactly what you do...put all your time into something that will cause you to go into even more debt:patrice:

Harry's father died in his 60's...but Harry starts to suffer from the disease in his 20's...and starts dying within weeks of finding out...,meanwhile there are videos of his father well into his 40's looking just fine...:patrice:

Pretty bad editing all the way around
i think that aunt may shiet was to give her something to do, sally fields still think she has a career and shiet and they still trying to ccater to a female audience even after what they do in the movie

but like I said, you could drive a peterbilt thru the plot holes of this movie

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
I called it. Mediocre at best. I said it would settle in at the mid 50's or low 60's on RT and I haven't even seen it yet.

And it again appears they spent all of their time with special effects and wow moments. Is it because kids go see these movies that they don't feel the need to have a meaningful script? :mindblown:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I actually liked the obsessed fan thing they went with for Electro because it gave him more depth than what the character has in the comics. The problem is that they didn't focus enough on the character of Electro because they felt the need to shoehorn in Harry Osborn and rush through his entire character journey in one movie. So instead the movie had two villains who felt underdeveloped and a storyline that felt a bit hurried and frantic.

I dug the look of the film though and the visual effects were well done. I like Andrew Garfield's wisecracking, happy-go-lucky Spider-Man. Garfield and Stone had pretty good chemistry too. Could have lived without the overdone melodrama and teen soap style angst between them though.