Fire Emblem Engage (January 20, 2023)

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Big deal weapon triangle is back. Cause in 3 Houses those breaker skills were very meh. After all this is a strategy RPG. Looks like this will be improved from a gameplay perspective. Hopefully the characters stay at 3 Houses level cause that was really good. Also no multiple routes means not having to play multiple routes to get answers regarding the full lore. Hell some stuff weren't confirmed till 3 Hopes came out.

Easy day 1 :blessed:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Fmj--J_aEAE4w9r

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
8-C11889-F-A4-F6-496-D-B7-D0-C5-D5-AE3-AB21-C.jpg

Intelligent Systems has crafted a culmination of Fire Emblem's history, presenting a surprising blend that takes clear inspiration from both eras. While I miss the intrigue which made Three Houses' main story so appealing, a compelling cast and sublime tactical gameplay see Fire Emblem Engage through. This is a fine RPG that further innovates an already rich combat system, and while long-term fans will get more from this, newcomers might be inspired to check out the rich history of this strategy series.
Eurogamer (Recommended)

Engage's characters and social systems never quite hit the high bar set by Three Houses, but it does surpass its predecessor in almost every other way. Players looking for deep customization, expertly crafted strategy RPG combat, and a heartfelt story with adoration for more than 30 years of Fire Emblem history will find that and more in Engage. It's one of the most gripping games I've played on Switch and, ultimately, one I struggled to peel myself away from. If Three Houses was an experiment with where Fire Emblem's social mechanics can go, then Engage is doing the same for the series' evolving combat, and excelling just as much, too.
Game Informer (9/10)

It's no small feat that Fire Emblem Engage is able to tell a simple-but-fun story that celebrates the vast history of its series in a way that doesn't rely on prior knowledge of that legacy. Building the perfect team of diverse characters and pairing them with the Emblem Rings of past heroes allows for tons of customization and strategy, and blasting through the enemy ranks with their special powers is always immensely satisfying. Both its main and side missions provide a good deal of challenge, and clever twists and obstacles offset a reliance on overly familiar mission objectives. Couple all that with a suite of quality-of-life improvements that immediately feel vital and Fire Emblem Engage proves itself worthy enough to be counted alongside the legacy it honors so well.
IGN (9/10)

Fire Emblem Engage is another stellar entry in this storied franchise, but it's also one that takes a noticeably different stance than its most recent predecessor. It's all about the combat this time around, at the expense of the relationships and romance that made Three Houses such a fan favourite, so if you're looking for that social element here, you're bound to be left feeling at least a tad disappointed. However, for those jonesing to get down and dirty with some sweet turn-based tactical action — action that's embedded in a satisfyingly OTT, beautifully presented anime narrative — this is as fine an example of the genre as you'll play this year.
Nintendolife (9/10)

Engage, even when it's fixated on stats and weapons and training, is always rushing toward the next battle, because that's where the story lies. It's not a reinvention of the genre, but a distillation. It can't quite reach the crescendos that Three Houses did, and it certainly doesn't achieve the longevity of Awakening. But it is consistently great. And it's confident enough to let me take the reins.
Polygon (Unscored)

Intelligent Systems and Nintendo really went above and beyond when tailoring this tactical timesink. The gameplay is sound, with elements that will challenge longtime players. The accessibility options are ample, so folks coming in from Fire Emblem: Three Houses can ease into a more typical Fire Emblem experience and not be intimidated by the nuances. Fire Emblem Engage is amazing and a wonderful way for Nintendo to kick off 2023.
Siliconera (10/10)

In some ways, that focus-shift back to SRPG fundamentals feels like a possible course correction after the significant 'Personafication' of Three Houses. On the other hand, this game still feels like it strives to marry old-school Fire Emblem with those new ideas. As a fan of older Fire Emblem and strategy games in general, I was thrilled to see the depth of combat and the level to which you can make battling your absolute focus. That's still true even if Engage doesn't quite get the balance in its execution right in a way that might put a small subset of Three Houses lovers off. It's still a tremendously satisfying experience, mind. It's engaging - sorry, I had to get it in – and an easy recommendation.
VG247 (4/5)

Fire Emblem Engage is a great strategy game, but we don't think it's a great modern Fire Emblem game. Whether the reverence for the social elements of Three Houses came as a surprise to the team or not, the dearth of those moments in Engage makes it feel like it's missing half of its core at times. While the anniversary cameos will please the hardcore fans at first, we worry that, much like the weak social aspects, their largely minor impact on the game itself will disappoint.
VGC (3/5)

Fire Emblem Engage's story is derivative JRPG nonsense and its social elements are skippable, but the game's battlefield heroics largely make up for its shortcomings. Classic Fire Emblem combat mechanics make their welcome return here and are nicely elevated by the new Engage system and a slate of varied, surprisingly-challenging maps. Fire Emblem Engage won't be everybody's favorite entry in the series, but it should be a critical hit with many seasoned generals.
Wccftech (8/10)

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I'm amongst the new audience that Three Houses brought and I loved the characters, social elements and leveling system of the game :francis:

Now if the combat gameplay is really elite, I might fall on my sword and cop it, but I'm not sure I'd even finish it. Wonder how it'll fare compared to Triangle Strategy.

Really wish they'd upgraded the combat gameplay as it seems they did while keeping the social shyt in.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
This should be a an excellent FE game. Presentation value is better than it's ever been and reviewers have nothing but praise for the combat and depth. Only real knock I'm seeing is that it's not Three Houses and the story is relatively generic. But full voice acting and the graphical improvements got this game looking right :ehh:

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Played every emblem since the Ike games and I'm happy they toned that other side bullshyt down if thats what they did. I hated that shyt from 3 houses.