Fire Emblem Engage (January 20, 2023)

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Oh it wasn’t the first time I tried a fire emblem game I remember
I tried a gba game on my pc when I was a kid and got turned off completely by the gameplay so quick I deleted that shyt with the quickness :russ:
But this is iite.
But I saw people here ain’t fukking with it?
Should I try 3 Houses instead of this?

Last edited:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Oh it wasn’t the first time I tried a fire emblem game I remember
I tried a gba game on my pc when I was a kid and got turned off completely by the gameplay so quick I deleted that shyt with the quickness :russ:
But this is iite.
But I saw people here ain’t fukking with it?
Should I try 3 Houses instead of this?
3 houses is a slow start but when you get into the groove it's a 10/10 experience for the most part

I maintain that PoR and RD on GC and Wii are the best modern FEs tho, FE4 is the all time best to me

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Played through the first few chapters and have a decent idea of the game, at least early on

They definitely “dumbed down” the main story to appeal to a broader audience. It’s typical JRPG fare, at least early in the game. Not necessarily “bad”, but it’s not the same type of narrative as 3Hs nor seemingly nearly as dark. Kinda generic so far but we’ll see where it goes, it’s still super early

Visually this game is shytting on 3H in every way. Animations, UI, graphics, performance, and color pallet, are all objectively better :hubie: Gotta give them their props here for sure. Music is great as usual too. The overall presentation value for this game is A+ for me.

You can tell they wanted to make this more gameplay oriented. You get into the action pretty quick and you can see there’s a ton of depth with the character builds & engage mechanics. There’s not as much downtime between fights so the overall gameplay loop is “quicker” than 3Hs. I’m playing on hard and even early on it’s more difficult than hard on 3H, which felt more like a “normal” mode while normal was easy. Gameplay is very good even early on, I’m excited to see how my late-game army will turn out

Dialog and supports are similar like awakening & fates. The support system is still there but there doesn’t seem to be dialog choices like that

Basically if you want a great looking fire emblem game with strong gameplay and deep unit building (combat-wise), this game definitely delivers. If you want Three Houses 2 and a ton of social stuff, this ain’t it. This feels more like a modern version of Awakening and Fates than a Three Houses sequel for sure.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I should have got this shipped to me. Can’t pick up until Sunday due to work.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Thank god the protagonist is voiced. The story is much more reliant on the Mc since you are clearly the most important piece. Unlike in 3 Houses where the 3 houses leaders were good enough to carry Silent Ass Byleth.

Played through the first few chapters and have a decent idea of the game, at least early on

They definitely “dumbed down” the main story to appeal to a broader audience. It’s typical JRPG fare, at least early in the game. Not necessarily “bad”, but it’s not the same type of narrative as 3Hs nor seemingly nearly as dark. Kinda generic so far but we’ll see where it goes, it’s still super early

Visually this game is shytting on 3H in every way. Animations, UI, graphics, performance, and color pallet, are all objectively better :hubie: Gotta give them their props here for sure. Music is great as usual too. The overall presentation value for this game is A+ for me.

You can tell they wanted to make this more gameplay oriented. You get into the action pretty quick and you can see there’s a ton of depth with the character builds & engage mechanics. There’s not as much downtime between fights so the overall gameplay loop is “quicker” than 3Hs. I’m playing on hard and even early on it’s more difficult than hard on 3H, which felt more like a “normal” mode while normal was easy. Gameplay is very good even early on, I’m excited to see how my late-game army will turn out

Dialog and supports are similar like awakening & fates. The support system is still there but there doesn’t seem to be dialog choices like that

Basically if you want a great looking fire emblem game with strong gameplay and deep unit building (combat-wise), this game definitely delivers. If you want Three Houses 2 and a ton of social stuff, this ain’t it. This feels more like a modern version of Awakening and Fates than a Three Houses sequel for sure.

Tbh if people want more of a Part 2 of Three Houses. They should just play 3 Hopes. It builds on the dark themes in 3 houses very well. Yes it aint a turned based strategy, but it adds enough things where you aren't aimlessly massing countlessly.

Game has a more typical anime feel for it. Gotta give it time first. Biggest example is Xenoblade 2 (Yes a different series) the first quarter of the is very slow and very anime tropey even more then here. But the rest becomes outstanding. Gotta give the game time regarding this.

Tbh dialouge choices were awful in 3 Houses. It's like oh hey you have multiple options but what you choice doesn't matter. (In 3 houses you gained support points but it really didn't matter that much.) I rather have the MC have its own personality built in the game then a Byleth where they feel like empty space of a character.

Also thank god also the weapon triangle is back. Taking a strategy element out of a strategy game was such a weird choice.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Gonna fire this up today…I enjoyed 3 houses but there’s a lot of fluff in that game that I don’t care for. Glad they went the OG route with this one

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Which one would you say it’s most like? From what I’ve read it seems like it’s more straightforward and focused on battles like the older entries
the reviews straight up lied about it being like the older games. you're out here playing persona and spamming abilities that belong in a different kind of game altogether

the only throwback is the weapon tree

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
the reviews straight up lied about it being like the older games. you're out here playing persona and spamming abilities that belong in a different kind of game altogether

the only throwback is the weapon tree

Damn, Persona though? :russ:

So far I can say the combat is very clean compared to Three Houses

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Damn, Persona though? :russ:

So far I can say the combat is very clean compared to Three Houses
if people want to say the combat is a step forward from three houses or even better, sure - there's room for that

the old school thing? that doesn't make sense at all. no idea how that got traction when you got EX attacks and installs like a fighting game

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
I personally love 3H story, characters and such but boy oh boy did the social aspects drain my patience for the game smh. Running around that damn school was a chore by the time I started my second campaign.

Combat is fire, but IMO that's never really an issue for Fire Emblem games. They have a formula they stick to and don't try to make too many OD changes to for no reason. Weapon triangle is back. Staves and tomes are back. Durability seems to be gone? Only a few hours in so I haven't seen how they handle unit promotion yet. I understand people saying its going back to the older games, but I think thats in small bits and pieces at this point. The Somniel and the types of interactions seem to be much smaller and stripped down compared to the school, which is great for me. Even as a Persona fan, I found that shyt to be just too much. Wanna see how the Engage system advances in the late game.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
I’m playing on casual (+Hard to keep it a lil spicy) and man.. They give you like 3-4 units every chapter. Makes sense because of the classic players but I can’t even decide on who to run with anymore. Get attached to certain characters and a new one comes with better stats before you know it.

Compared to 3H it’s pretty much the same vibe to me with less of the school social aspect. Combat isn’t different enough for me to comment on it. It’s definitely fun with intimidating maps that feel rewarding when completed. Similar to 3H. Story and writing and boring as fukk though. Didn’t think 3H had some great story, it was pretty trash tbh, but with the twists and turns it was more engaging at least. But I don’t play these games for the story.