Finally watched Thor Ragnorak and :gladbron:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I see this movie gets a lot of love but I don’t know I was disappointed in this movie :yeshrug: I mean I liked it but it’s not high on my Marvel movies list let alone overall comic movies list.
Me too. Felt like two different movies stitched together and the actual Ragnarok was biggest and main disappointment because it could've been more

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I thought it was ok but they OD'ed on the jokes. I don't mind humor in comic movies but there was a joke or visual gag every two seconds and half of them was :ld: to me.

I'm starting to realize the problem with the MCU villains isn't that they're necessarily bad....but so many of these movies kill them off after one appearance so it's hard to take them seriously. Even fan favorite Loki didn't really come into his own until "Avengers". If Ronan or Hela or Malekith appeared in multiple movies it would go a long way towards making them seem like a credible threat.

Fred.

In reality tho, this is less of a MCU thing than a comic book movie thing in general. There are significantly less occurrences of repeated villains in any comic book movies since their existence. The rare few that even do resurge are almost always no longer the true villain of their respective series either. More often than not, they are either regalated to dead spirit flashback status (Green Goblin of OG Spiderman trilogy, Raj Al Ghul Nolan trilogy), turn semi-maladjusted, anti-hero (Loki) or straight up background status cameo appearance (Scarecrow Nolan verse again and he never was even every number one villain in any of them). Only Magneto of the X-men movies ever was consistently a number one villain and even then he was among at least one of those other tropes before as well and their shenanigans of continuity almost doesn't make most his recurrences even count. Oh and Stryker, lol.

You could say that Joker, Green Goblin and Two-Face had repeats, but then you literally have to stretch universes to count those, lol.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
In reality tho, this is less of a MCU thing than a comic book movie thing in general. There are significantly less occurrences of repeated villains in any comic book movies some there existence. The rare few that even do resurge are almost always no longer the true villain of their respective series either. More often than not, they are either regalated to dead spirit flashback status (Green Goblin of OG Spiderman trilogy, Raj Al Ghul Nolan trilogy), turn semi-maladjusted, anti-hero (Loki) or straight up background status cameo appearance (Scarecrow Nolan verse again and he never was even every number one villain in any of them). Only Magneto of the X-men movies ever was consistently a number one villain and even he was among at least one of those other tropes before as well and their shenanigans continuity almost doesn't make most his recurrences even count.

You could say that Joker, Green Goblin and Two-Face had repeats, but then you literally have to stretch universes to count those, lol.

Fair point but the major (and I'd say, defining) difference between those examples and the MCU is the MCU is 18 connected movies all telling one story. So there's more of an incentive story-wise to have reoccurring villains. Especially when they're tied directly to the overarching story (like Ronan with the Power Stone) or cause drastic changes to the universe (like Hela/Surtur destroying Asgard).

Fred.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I gotta hold the L because I didn't think they had the talent to pull off an ensemble movie. I knew they worked on "Arrested Development" but that doesn't necessarily translate into being able to carry a comic movie. But yeah....I was 100% wrong.

Fred.

Kinda shows one the pleasantries of being in error sometimes.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

tumblr_oz0e63sLMu1r5a08so6_540.gif

tumblr_oz0e63sLMu1r5a08so4_540.gif

tumblr_oz0e63sLMu1r5a08so5_r1_540.gif

tumblr_oz0e63sLMu1r5a08so7_r1_540.gif

now that i know this technology exists, i need to see a short film shot entirely this way at the very least

No bullshyt, I'd actually prefer that they (MCU and comic book movies in general, but more MCU than anything) actually did their trailers in this sort of fashion just to further conceal a lot of the cool shyt that actually happens in the movie. Also, more of those left on the cutting room floor scenes that don't make the actual movie as well, for the same purpose. I mean, I get how the latter could really be considered a bait n switch to some that go see the movie expecting things to be one way, when it's the other way, but I think trailers are showing way too much these days. For what it's worth, as immensely as I enjoyed Black Panther and Thor Ragnorak, both of their action highlight scenes, I wish I had not already seen 80 thousand times in trailers before the movie. It lowered the surprise appeal and intensity of some of those scenes. I think, and definitely probably more for BP than Thor since BP wasn't as high octane action as Thor was, those overexposure of scenes lowered their appeal when you actually see most of them in the movie, even with seeing the scenes fully playing out and having the context behind them. Almost ALL of BP's greatest action sequences of him in costume were shown in commericals.

Last edited:

jdashmaj

Sixers/Bulls Fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Jersey in a new jersey
Me too. Felt like two different movies stitched together and the actual Ragnarok was biggest and main disappointment because it could've been more
The whole Ragnarok element was rushed it wasn’t s bad movie. Given that it was supposed to be Ragnorak I thought the movie would be more serious and less slapstick. It was like a Thor version of Guardians of the Galaxy but not as good.

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
It was trash IMO. It was a disservice to the actual Ragnarok story line, as well as the character of Hela. It ranks at the bottom of the MCU films for me.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Probably already mentioned but I wish Goldblum was the main villain for the entire movie and most of the conflict took place on Sakaar. But that would have been hard to do with a film called Ragnarok, but hey, it was the best part of the film.