Finally watched Thor Ragnorak and :gladbron:

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
I thought it was ok but they OD'ed on the jokes. I don't mind humor in comic movies but there was a joke or visual gag every two seconds and half of them was :ld: to me.

I'm starting to realize the problem with the MCU villains isn't that they're necessarily bad....but so many of these movies kill them off after one appearance so it's hard to take them seriously. Even fan favorite Loki didn't really come into his own until "Avengers". If Ronan or Hela or Malekith appeared in multiple movies it would go a long way towards making them seem like a credible threat.

Fred.
I watched it a couple weeks ago and thought, when did Thor become such a jokester? I could have sworn he was the serious one. I went back and rewatched every MCU movie over the course of 3 weeks. just to see if I had missed the change in character.

it was a good movie tho.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Also just about giving them something that’s not one dissensional. The reason killmonger works as well as he does is because he gets actual character. He’s not just window dressing or designated cannon fodder. That goes s long long way to making a great villain. Being able to identify with them and understand there point of view because the movie cares enough about it to give it time to marinate.

I think it's combination. Because most of these MCU movies don't have particularly strong writing. And the weaker the writing is, the less chance there is to create a memorable villain in the space of one movie. A nice way to side step that, is have them in multiple movies. Marvel hasn't really done that yet. They've either created memorable, one-off villains (Zemo, Killmonger) or a string of forgettable one-off villains (damn near everyone else). The only real exception is Loki, and like I said, he didn't really shine until "Avengers".

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I watched it a couple weeks ago and thought, when did Thor become such a jokester? I could have sworn he was the serious one. I went back and rewatched every MCU movie over the course of 3 weeks. just to see if I had missed the change in character.

it was a good movie tho.

Yeah they more or less completely changed the character. He wasn't anything like this in any previous movie. Before most of the humor surrounding him was of the fish-out-of-water variety.

They half way tried to plant the seeds for this sudden change in personality in those short movies where he has a room mate, or whatever that was.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah they more or less completely changed the character. He wasn't anything like this in any previous movie. Before most of the humor surrounding him was of the fish-out-of-water variety.

They half way tried to plant the seeds for this sudden change in personality in those short movies where he has a room mate, or whatever that was.

Fred.

Yeah he definitely took on the personality that Taika wanted him to have and it worked for the movie. But by the end of it he seemed less jokey and more focused on the serious task in front of him. It worked for the first half of the movie because everything on that planet is batshyt but once he truly understood the stakes, he got it together. So even then, there’s character development.
I think it's combination. Because most of these MCU movies don't have particularly strong writing. And the weaker the writing is, the less chance there is to create a memorable villain in the space of one movie. A nice way to side step that, is have them in multiple movies. Marvel hasn't really done that yet. They've either created memorable, one-off villains (Zemo, Killmonger) or a string of forgettable one-off villains (damn near everyone else). The only real exception is Loki, and like I said, he didn't really shine until "Avengers".

Fred.

Well it’s funny you mention Zemo. I’d say besides Loki, he and Eric are the two villains who’ve had the most profound change on the heroes. Vulture is dope too and I’d love to see some residual effect on peter because he was right when he said there’s not much separating him and Tony.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah he definitely took on the personality that Taika wanted him to have and it worked for the movie. But by the end of it he seemed less jokey and more focused on the serious task in front of him. It worked for the first half of the movie because everything on that planet is batshyt but once he truly understood the stakes, he got it together. So even then, there’s character development.

Well it’s funny you mention Zemo. I’d say besides Loki, he and Eric are the two villains who’ve had the most profound change on the heroes. Vulture is dope too and I’d love to see some residual effect on peter because he was right when he said there’s not much separating him and Tony.

Oh yeah Vulture was dope too.

I have a feeling Thanos is going to knock it out of the park, though.

Fred.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
Muuuuuch better than the previous Thor movies. Give this an A-

Did not like some of the CGI in some scenes but in other scenes it was very good.

The use of Doctor Strange was perfect. He was better here than in his own movie.

It was a wild ride through the cosmic universe and touched on a lot of shyt from the comics that I hope we see more of in the future. The music was great and fit the narrative perfectly.

The main villain was a bit generic but I liked the smaller villains used throughout the movie.

If they do a Thor 4 I hope they keep it in space and continue to just have him travel all over the place and discover new shyt we haven't seen yet.

Hulk was cool.. a Planet Hulk thing going on with him. Wouldn't have minded seeing more of that either.

giphy.gif

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
TSC is full of bitter bytches with battered wife syndrome, they hate 90% of everything not Japan but keep going back for more. :mjlol:

TFR > TSC

Lies. We may complain about 90% of WWE, but when it comes to the actual matches, we give props when it's due. It's the storylines and use of talent that gets complaining.

:dead: at stanning this forum now. It's like stanning WCW in the final years. :picard: