[FINAL NUMBERS] Adele sells 3.3 Million.... [SPOOKY]

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Forget Amy,

In 2008, if you told someone Adele was gonna be bigger than Leona Lewis, you woulda got clowned. You wanna talk a machine? Leona Lewis was geared to be the UK Mariah Carey and it looked like she was headed in that direction, and then shyt happened.

What happened to her career btw?
:pachaha:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand why radio continue to push auto tune singers when Adele does massive numbers like that. It should have been sparked a revolution :jbhmm:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
She can sing. But if you can't see the bullshyt here then you're seeing the world thru rose tinted glasses.

Adele is literally a less talented Jill Scott repackaged for white mainstream consumption. They completely stopped playing Jill Scott style (r&b soul) from black artist on mainstream radio, created a void for that kind of music then rolled out Adele to fill the void. Now the black artist who originated and perfected the style she is singing in cannot even get on period.

Tyrese puts out an album of the year candidate yet can barely get play yet Sam Smith selling millions. Jill Scott, Angie Stone etc are on milk cartons when it comes to the mainstream yet Adele breaking records. Badu is reduced to dropping fukking mixtapes :mjcry:

This must be what it felt like when Chubby Checker, James Brown, Little Richard watched rock being taken and whitewashed.

The worst part about it? Black folk willingly let this happened, underestimating the potential of a white, barely decent talented singer can do. Young Black folk rather have auto tune and ratchet DJ Mustard beats singing about bullshyt, but older black folk want that old school R Kelly, or even Tyrese to listen to.

It's only reached that far because we stopped caring and supporting our legit natural talent. Everything seems so processed and electronic In our music now. Nothing is organic.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Congrats to her because I can't STAND one more fukking same sounding rap song on the radio..it's SICKENING. How many of these nyggas sound like Drake? Playlist shyt only in my vehicles...J Cole this..Drake this..that gay Omarion song that gets played too much..the damn Meek Mills and Nicki song that gets played too much....Back to Back with Drake getting played like every 40 minutes. YUCK! SCUST.

Some nikkas sacrifice their individuality for to be a part of a monolithic mindset, to look cool. It's like if you decide to break apart, people will gun you down. :manny:

Dixon Cider

Doing numbers and breaking stan hearts
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Coli Suburbs
I knew she was gonna do retawded numbers when That hello dropped first day and my girl was singing all the lyrics to it. Since then have heard it 1000 times anywhere I go. Adele gonna go silent after this she came raped the game and left :damn:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Are people really that delusional? People are really in here saying that Adele being fat and making depressing music makes her marketable. This is proof that The Coli really makes judgements based on face value and don't apply critical thinking. When they put Adele on the cover of magazines, they only show her face (there was even some outrage over it). You have women of various races that fit the idea of what America views as beautiful.

What it boils down to is Adele selling because she's Adele. The same way Michael Jackson sold because he was Michael Jackson. Whitney Houston sold records because she was Whitney Houston. The artist that sells 10 copies sells those 10 copies because they are them. It's something that's not tangible that compels people to be enamored enough with an artist to make a purchase. That's why every white artist isn't doing Adele numbers. That's why we won't see anyone (regardless of race) do Michael Jackson Thriller numbers. It's something you can't put marketing dollars behind and make it work no matter how big the machine because if they could the music industry would still be booming and sales wouldn't be down across the board.
At first, I thought you were going to say that she's selling because of track record. That makes sense. The Massacre sold 1.1 million because of GRODT. But you are sitting here pretending that marketing and image has no relevance in sales? Have you lost your fukking mind? All my friends in the record industry say go sit down. Yes, there is something that makes people enamored enough to purchase someone's album and it is relatability or just being so undeniably good people feel compelled to buy your shyt. LOL@making love ballads not being marketable when even John Legend goes near the top of the charts doing that. The difference? He does not sell what Sam Smith does. I will let you speculate as to why. :mjpls:

The question is, why does a comparable black singer not sell as much as Adele? One reason is because she is not even given the chance to compete. You're missing the point entirely. It is also ridiculous to compare sales throughout eras.

Why does Adele go number 1? Because her music gets released to pop radio and is pushed to top 40 whereas a black artist would be considered urban and those stations would not order the song. A black person would not even get the chance to compete. That's the fukking point. When Adele's fan base is 25-44 year old people, many of them with kids who happen to come across music through those channels, you think that does not have an impact? This is why Tori Kelly is considered pure pop despite her sound. It's because she's white. I don't believe people are as narrow-minded as record labels and the media think we are. But they're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

@tremonthustler, Leona Lewis did X-Factor and had a "look." That's like asking why Clay Aiken fell off after American Idol. At her peak Leona Lewis sold 1 million more copies than Adele's 19 while being signed to J Records and known versus Adele on an independent label. No, just no. <------------ @Street Knowledge.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Six pages on this? Really tho?

At first, I thought you were going to say that she's selling because of track record. That makes sense. The Massacre sold 1.1 million because of GRODT. But you are sitting here pretending that marketing and image has no relevance in sales? Have you lost your fukking mind? All my friends in the record industry say go sit down. Yes, there is something that makes people enamored enough to purchase someone's album and it is relatability or just being so undeniably good people feel compelled to buy your shyt. LOL@making love ballads not being marketable when even John Legend goes near the top of the charts doing that. The difference? He does not sell what Sam Smith does. I will let you speculate as to why. :mjpls:

The question is, why does a comparable black singer not sell as much as Adele? One reason is because she is not even given the chance to compete. You're missing the point entirely. It is also ridiculous to compare sales throughout eras.

Why does Adele go number 1? Because her music gets released to pop radio and is pushed to top 40 whereas a black artist would be considered urban and those stations would not order the song. A black person would not even get the chance to compete. That's the fukking point. When Adele's fan base is 25-44 year old people, many of them with kids who happen to come across music through those channels, you think that does not have an impact? This is why Tori Kelly is considered pure pop despite her sound. It's because she's white. I don't believe people are as narrow-minded as record labels and the media think we are. But they're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

@tremonthustler, Leona Lewis did X-Factor and had a "look." That's like asking why Clay Aiken fell off after American Idol. At her peak Leona Lewis sold 1 million more copies than Adele's 19 while being signed to J Records and known versus Adele on an independent label. No, just no. <------------ @Street Knowledge.
When bar none goes in on a poster and that poster isn't you :banderas:

She can sing. But if you can't see the bullshyt here then you're seeing the world thru rose tinted glasses.

Adele is literally a less talented Jill Scott repackaged for white mainstream consumption. They completely stopped playing Jill Scott style (r&b soul) from black artist on mainstream radio, created a void for that kind of music then rolled out Adele to fill the void. Now the black artist who originated and perfected the style she is singing in cannot even get on period.

Tyrese puts out an album of the year candidate yet can barely get play yet Sam Smith selling millions. Jill Scott, Angie Stone etc are on milk cartons when it comes to the mainstream yet Adele breaking records. Badu is reduced to dropping fukking mixtapes :mjcry:

This must be what it felt like when Chubby Checker, James Brown, Little Richard watched rock being taken and whitewashed.
:wow:

Last edited:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps

Close Thread.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Since when does fat (which is what many are using as an argument) make someone marketable? Making ballads =/= "depressing" music.

John Legend went to the top of the charts with one song. The difference is where was his other song that got play. Sam Smith had the one song that crossed over into Urban markets, but he also had other songs that were hits and was featured on another. You also fail to point out that Sam Smith still had a Darkchild remix and a Mary J. feature on the same single that went #1 to help him in the Urban markets.

It's not even a matter of the genre. Are these labels marketing Black artists to audiences outside of the Black community? As I said before, please explain the monster successes of Whitney, Alicia, or even a Brandy.

LOL @ Tori Kelly being white. The fact that you're bringing her up and trying to say she's white contradicts your premise. If Tori Kelly is white and in the Pop lane, why isn't she platinum. Why aren't Katy Perry and Taylor Swift who traditionally fit the image of what mainstream America deems beautiful doing Adele numbers?