[FINAL NUMBERS] Adele sells 3.3 Million.... [SPOOKY]

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Outside of genre distinctions she's getting play on Radio stations for something else :mjpls: and trust
it isn't because her music sounds like Katy Perry/Taylor swift.

I brought them up to say what approach they're taking today towards marketing white acts with what would've been seen as a more "Black" sound
last decade, not as a way to say TODAY is like YESTERDAY as you did in mentioning Whitney, Alicia and Brandy.
Context is important here, Tori Kelly clearly isn't being marketed as just a "Pop act" otherwise she'd be Ke$ha/Katy Perry/Taylor Swift status.
I mean she was just on the BET Awards earlier this year blowing to a black audience. THAT is a perfect example of a calculated move to get her in
front of black folks.

The point isn't that "Tyrese was never huge" my point in mentioning "Tyrese AND friends" was to focus on the FACT
that many black artists who make that soulful music ARE NOT getting the push they deserve and I also think the general
public isn't receptive of them for some obvious reasons :mjpls: and not so obvious ones.

I'll put it this way, in the climate of yesteryear Tyrese could get SIGNED making the music he makes while he'd have to stumble
on a lottery ticket to do so today.

The problem with this is that there are artists that clearly DO still represent that dividing line and don't just sing over Hip Hop instrumentals.
THESE artists aren't getting the same love and treatment they would've gotten in the
80's,90's and hell even last decade when R&B was still seen as a viable way to make money.

The Soul Train Awards, B.E.T., The Radio etc. are all extensions of the major label system.
They practically exist just to market artists and show their live performances, they're hardly even about "Awards".
If I relied on B.E.T. to tell me about Black artists who are making excellent music, I would've missed out on :
Esperanza Spalding
Judith Hill
Jesse Boykins III
Charles Bradley
Lee Fields
Gary Clark Jr.
Robert Glasper
Terrace martin
and others I'm likely forgetting.

The current state of R&B (and Black MAINSTREAM music) is a complex mix of :
1. Wanting to get signed and doing what is most likely guaranteed to sell my examples being the current crop of Mainstream popular artists like Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Rhianna etc. Many take on aspects of Hip Hop partly I think because it's music they grew up on and obviously music the youth likes but also because of pressure from the people who sign their checks.

2. The destruction of Black Musical Control/Independence. By this I mean there are platforms for "Hip Hop" and Rap&Bullshyt but if you're a SOUL/Funk/Blues/Jazz artist your best bet is some indie or smaller label which can't match the output of a major either that or roughing it on your own. Some of my favorite artists get practically no burn because no one knows about them, not because they don't make great music.

3. Shifts in attitudes towards Black Musicians. Admittedly this is something which has always been an up hill battle for black musicians but
it's made worse when radio is practically a monopoly and the independent scenes of yesteryear have all but evaporated as media consolidation hastened.
So you get people who may not listen to "R&B" based on what is currently marketed as "R&B" even if your brand of "R&B" is much closer to what it was prior to R&B/Hip Hop sales falling off of a cliff somewhere last decade.

This is why Usher and Chris brown were suddenly singing over EDM records
Why Genuwine, Tank, Tyrese, R. Kelly etc. were changing their Tim's and Wife beaters for Nice Suits
and clean shaves.
This is why R&B singers seem more focused on rap-singing their lyrics and skipping over powerful crooning.
And a bunch of other clear and obvious changes in the music

Tori Kelly is getting play because she has a team behind her that understands the importance of getting play in multiple genres. Some songs and artists work in multiple genres because of the sound. It's why you can take "Drunk In Love" and play it next to Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" and take the same song and play it next to a Trap song and then play it next to something like "Watch Me Whip" and then play it next to Disclosure's "Latch".

Tyrese is a bad example. He's not going to get that type of push because of the audience that he appeals to. Most of Tyrese's fans are people who are fans of his era of music and older. It's crazy to expect Tyrese to garner the type of attention that a Chris Brown and a Trey Songz do. It's not because he's Black that the music isn't being heard, it's because it's not something that necessarily fits what currently gets played on mainstream R&B stations.

The biggest part of this is that people are listing the same artists. For one, it's crazy to expect an artist who debuted nearly 20 years ago and is making music that caters to the era to be on the same level as an artist that specifically caters to the trends of today. There's only a handful of artists that are able to transcend on that level.

The biggest reason R&B fell off is because people aren't looking at the entire picture. There was an infrastructure in place that nourished R&B and kept it thriving. You had producers, A&R's, and executives that helped it flourished because they knew what they were doing. Tell me where the Jermaine Dupris, Babyfaces, L.A. Reid's, R. Kellys, Andre Harrells, Benny Medinas, and Puffys of today are. These guys produced, wrote, oversaw, and/or financed entire projects. They helped develop and cultivate talent. We don't have that now.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tori Kelly is getting play because she has a team behind her that understands the importance of getting play in multiple genres. Some songs and artists work in multiple genres because of the sound. It's why you can take "Drunk In Love" and play it next to Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" and take the same song and play it next to a Trap song and then play it next to something like "Watch Me Whip" and then play it next to Disclosure's "Latch".

Tyrese is a bad example. He's not going to get that type of push because of the audience that he appeals to. Most of Tyrese's fans are people who are fans of his era of music and older. It's crazy to expect Tyrese to garner the type of attention that a Chris Brown and a Trey Songz do. It's not because he's Black that the music isn't being heard, it's because it's not something that necessarily fits what currently gets played on mainstream R&B stations.

The biggest part of this is that people are listing the same artists. For one, it's crazy to expect an artist who debuted nearly 20 years ago and is making music that caters to the era to be on the same level as an artist that specifically caters to the trends of today. There's only a handful of artists that are able to transcend on that level.

The biggest reason R&B fell off is because people aren't looking at the entire picture. There was an infrastructure in place that nourished R&B and kept it thriving. You had producers, A&R's, and executives that helped it flourished because they knew what they were doing. Tell me where the Jermaine Dupris, Babyfaces, L.A. Reid's, R. Kellys, Andre Harrells, Benny Medinas, and Puffys of today are. These guys produced, wrote, oversaw, and/or financed entire projects. They helped develop and cultivate talent. We don't have that now.

Good point

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The worst part about it? Black folk willingly let this happened, underestimating the potential of a white, barely decent talented singer can do. Young Black folk rather have auto tune and ratchet DJ Mustard beats singing about bullshyt, but older black folk want that old school R Kelly, or even Tyrese to listen to.

It's only reached that far because we stopped caring and supporting our legit natural talent. Everything seems so processed and electronic In our music now. Nothing is organic.

:wow:

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
Everyone keeps pointing out how her fans are fat, ugly, sad and desperate so they can relate to her..

Maybe if your favorite rapper made music that was more relatable to average people instead of bragging about how much money, clothes, cars and hoes he had, he could do numbers closer to Adele too

:manny:
Not a chance. Ain't no rap nikka doing Adele numbers regardless of subject matter. If you're not getting that 25-55 CAC demographic forget about it

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're not telling me anything I don't know here breh.
And this is apart of Clear Channel and their radio dominance, they like homogeneity in music
and if Black American Music suffers at the hand of this, they say "So be it..."
Did you read my post ?
Insensitive said:
The point isn't that "Tyrese was never huge" my point in mentioning "Tyrese AND friends" was to focus on the FACT
that many black artists who make that soulful music ARE NOT getting the push they deserve and I also think the general
public isn't receptive of them for some obvious reasons :mjpls: and not so obvious ones.
My point in mentioning Tyrese WAS NOT to use him as an example, R&B in general is getting the shaft.
He was the face of my argument but not the crux of it, hence "and friends", I'm not sure why we're caught up on my mentioning him.

Chris Brown, Trey Songz, August Alsina, Drake etc. at times barely pass for "R&B" and three of four as far as I know "rap" in passing
or do some hackneyed "Rap-Singing" to appeal to the masses . The move over to more and more Hip Hop which dominates Urban (Black)
radio is a direct result of labels thinking they'll get no return on their investment should they support a "R&B" act more in the vein of Tyrese,
Tank, Ginuwine etc. And so far that's been the case ! Even R. Kelly seems to scrambling to find a sound that'll bring him back to the relevance he
enjoyed 15 years ago. For example he's switched from doing old school "Soul" influenced music to copying the artist he helped to spawn on his album
"black panties".

It may or may not be because these artists are black but I guarantee it's because of MONEY and if the "taste makers" are the bean counters then that's what it
all comes down to.

Yeah and I never said that was what I expected to happen.
HOWEVER what I did say was that there are artists RIGHT NOW who are BLACK who make R&B (Soul, Funk, Contemporary R&B) or
Blues or Jazz that CANNOT get a break as in NEW artists, not "Old" ones.

We DO have that now however the R&B scene is anemic because "Hip Hop" as an art form and business has sucked up a ton of talent
and it's a platform that's grown considerably larger than R&B (for black people anyways) in the past 25-30 years.

Also you literally said what I just said in my previous post which is that the base for R&B
music has eroded away considerably however the talent didn't disappear the MONEY did.
Gary Clark Jr. one of the artist's I mentioned in my last post is an example of a Blues/R&B artist who would've struggled to get signed in another climate especially because many believe "Blues" doesn't sell
he turned around and sold a couple nearly 200,000 records and by album 2 he had considerably more
money behind him.

noumena

All Star
Daps
Why is she so marketable? What draws so many people to buying her music?

Even Taylor Swift ain't selling these many records.

Interesting question, here's my thinking

1. She's white, immediately that gives her a larger audience
2. Setting her apart from taylor swift, she makes "grown up music", that isn't necessarily bubble-gum pop (still kind of is just with a different outfit)
3. She can belt and has the illusion of being talented
4. Underdog status. Everyone loves an underdog, and what better than a fat white woman who's heartbroken?
5. Marketing machine. People have been sold the idea that Adele is "real music" in a time of fakes.
6. People want more of this "real music". Look at Cole selling a million. He did it with a loyal fanbase and being marketed as a real, relatable dude in a time
of cartoonish rap personas. Which brings me to my next point.
7. Relatability. Lots of people can relate to Adele, she sings about love and heartbreak, and happens to be an obese white woman, and we really don't know
much about her besides that (blank canvas for people to project themselves on).
8. Image. Not only are her handlers selling her as a relatable, down-to-earth talent in a time of "fakeness", they also are selling the fact that "bigger can be beautiful",
which is a growing ( :lolbron:)selling point for all products as of late.
9. Catchiness of her singles
10. I think the audience she reaches are good fans, and buy it to support her. People bought her first two albums of the strength of the singles alone.

This still doesn't answer the "Why" for me. Since when did people buy music? I think Adele's strength is she's just talented enough to stand out, and just
generic enough to reach that lowest common denominator. She isn't boxed in to a teeny bopper crowd like Taylor Swift. People of all ages enjoy it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
im not reading through 20 pages of replies....

my question: what does adele have to do with black artists?

she doesnt sing 'black' music...she doesnt sing rnb.....and shes not marketed to black people...

shes going on tour soon...and has one date here in america....her tour is all western europe....

again: what does she have top do with black artists?

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
3.3 million one week?? is that the correct number? i gotta be reading this wrong......the album got released on like a weds right so she had extra days? include black friday too?