[FINAL NUMBERS] Adele sells 3.3 Million.... [SPOOKY]

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
UyT1PKT.gif

Hell naw. She has some power to her voice, but she ain't all that vocally and musically to be dominating nikkas in the 90s & 80s.

This. Props to adele but her #s are are like shaq dominating the early 00s after all the good centers retired and he had to face the todd macalloughs of the league

Firefly

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No way she beats MJ's records. Nobody ever will. Things go too fast for any artist to accomplish that today. The first week/month sales are usually the peak in this day and age. MJ's music, crossover appeal and artistry was unlike anything in entertainment and that kept the greatness sustainable at a unique level.

I'm happy for her though because she really seems like a nice person and does have an above average voice.

Word my same thoughts.....Let's also add that Mike did this without the internet. Which nobody has mentioned YET.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's hilarious that there are people claiming jill scott would be just as popular :mjlol:

Jill Scott is an incredible talent. When you look at her from a commercial standpoint though, she doesn't get the kind of support that a Mary J. Blige or an Alicia Keys does even in the Urban market.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
A lot of people are overthinking this too. A lot of her intrigue come from shock value, the same way Jill Scott doesn't have shock value.

Everyone expects Black women/men to be great artists and singers. It isn't new.

Nobody expects a heavyset white woman from the UK to sing as strong and soulful as she does. That's shock factor. That builds hype.

It is about race, but a decent portion of it is because the public isn't used to seeing non-Black artists sing as decent Adele (who doesn't touch Jill Scott), but they do expect every Black singer to at least be as great as Whitney Houston.

I take nothing away from Adele though, her voice is good.

So in a way Black excellence is just accepted as innate. That unfairly makes it harder to build hype though.

Last edited:

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Yall do know that now they factor in streams from subsciption apps.

I wonder how many legit copies she sold.

not to take anything from her cause shes talented but something seems fishy here, is this number with streams included? or is it actual CfukkingDees? in this day and age ? what did they use to measure the sales, that software from volkswagen ?

aaaand the album ain't all that either

no hate though

Her album isn't even available to stream yet.

These are pure sales numbers :wow:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Well, the Soul Train Awards proved that she has a long way to go, skill wise. :mjpls:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Since when does fat (which is what many are using as an argument) make someone marketable? Making ballads =/= "depressing" music.

John Legend went to the top of the charts with one song. The difference is where was his other song that got play. Sam Smith had the one song that crossed over into Urban markets, but he also had other songs that were hits and was featured on another. You also fail to point out that Sam Smith still had a Darkchild remix and a Mary J. feature on the same single that went #1 to help him in the Urban markets.

It's not even a matter of the genre. Are these labels marketing Black artists to audiences outside of the Black community? As I said before, please explain the monster successes of Whitney, Alicia, or even a Brandy.

LOL @ Tori Kelly being white. The fact that you're bringing her up and trying to say she's white contradicts your premise. If Tori Kelly is white and in the Pop lane, why isn't she platinum. Why aren't Katy Perry and Taylor Swift who traditionally fit the image of what mainstream America deems beautiful doing Adele numbers?
@BarNone 's purpose in bringing up Tori Kelly is she's apparently a Soul/Neo-Soul artist but she isn't
being played on "Urban (euphemism for black...)" stations instead she's getting that Katy Perry/Britney Spears/Gaga type
package where her music is played on pop stations, same goes for Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Adele and anyone else hopping
on THAT wave.

Tyrese and friends can't hope to get that sorta exposure because the money that's being put behind them isn't comparable
and the stations they're getting spins on typically won't reach THAT audience.

And you bringing up Whitney or Alicia or Brandy ignores the context of today's situation. R&B artist's aren't selling as much as they were before, they aren't getting signed at the same frequency and many of them are crossing over into the Hip Hop lane or resorting
to rapping/rap singing to get on (Jeremih, Chris Brown, Trey Songz etc.)

The situation in the 80's,90's, the early 2000's and the latter half of last decade leading
into now is very, VERY different.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@BarNone 's purpose in bringing up Tori Kelly is she's apparently a Soul/Neo-Soul artist but she isn't
being played on "Urban (euphemism for black...)" stations instead she's getting that Katy Perry/Britney Spears/Gaga type
package where her music is played on pop stations, same goes for Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Adele and anyone else hopping
on THAT wave.

Tyrese and friends can't hope to get that sorta exposure because the money that's being put behind them isn't comparable
and the stations they're getting spins on typically won't reach THAT audience.

And you bringing up Whitney or Alicia or Brandy ignores the context of today's situation. R&B artist's aren't selling as much as they were before, they aren't getting signed at the same frequency and many of them are crossing over into the Hip Hop lane or resorting
to rapping/rap singing to get on (Jeremih, Chris Brown, Trey Songz etc.)

The situation in the 80's,90's, the early 2000's and the latter half of last decade leading
into now is very, VERY different.

Tori Kelly is not a Neo-Soul/Soul artist. Her sound is more Pop/R&B. She's getting play on the stations that Katy Perry and them are getting play on are on because she still has a Pop sound.

You're saying me bringng up Whitney, Alicia and Brandy ignores today's situation, but then bring up Britney Spears and Gaga.

Tyrese and friends were never "huge". Even when Tyrese had hits like "Sweet Lady", he wasn't doing what Usher and Ginuwine doing in terms of airplay and sales.

The situation in the 80's, 90's, and '00's got us where we're at today. The sound of R&B was heading toward a more Hip Hop sound ever since Hip Hop became popular. In the 90's, the line between Hip Hop and R&B became more blurred and now it's hardly a difference.

I don't know if you watched the Soul Train Awards, but it was very telling of the current state of R&B. I guarantee a lot of people didn't/don't even recognize any of the new artists. To the youth, Jerimih was probably the only act they were familiar with.

Last edited:

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tori Kelly is not a Neo-Soul/Soul artist. Her sound is more Pop/R&B. She's getting play on the stations that Katy Perry and them are getting play on are on because she still has a Pop sound.
Outside of genre distinctions she's getting play on Radio stations for something else :mjpls: and trust
it isn't because her music sounds like Katy Perry/Taylor swift.
You're saying me bringng up Whitney, Alicia and Brandy ignores today's situation, but then bring up Britney Spears and Gaga.
I brought them up to say what approach they're taking today towards marketing white acts with what would've been seen as a more "Black" sound
last decade, not as a way to say TODAY is like YESTERDAY as you did in mentioning Whitney, Alicia and Brandy.
Context is important here, Tori Kelly clearly isn't being marketed as just a "Pop act" otherwise she'd be Ke$ha/Katy Perry/Taylor Swift status.
I mean she was just on the BET Awards earlier this year blowing to a black audience. THAT is a perfect example of a calculated move to get her in
front of black folks.
Tyrese and friends were never "huge". Even when Tyrese had hits like "Sweet Lady", he wasn't doing what Usher and Ginuwine doing in terms of airplay and sales.
The point isn't that "Tyrese was never huge" my point in mentioning "Tyrese AND friends" was to focus on the FACT
that many black artists who make that soulful music ARE NOT getting the push they deserve and I also think the general
public isn't receptive of them for some obvious reasons :mjpls: and not so obvious ones.

I'll put it this way, in the climate of yesteryear Tyrese could get SIGNED making the music he makes while he'd have to stumble
on a lottery ticket to do so today.
The situation in the 80's, 90's, and '00's got us where we're at today. The sound of R&B was heading toward a more Hip Hop sound ever since Hip Hop became popular. In the 90's, the line between Hip Hop and R&B became more blurred and now it's hardly a difference.
The problem with this is that there are artists that clearly DO still represent that dividing line and don't just sing over Hip Hop instrumentals.
THESE artists aren't getting the same love and treatment they would've gotten in the
80's,90's and hell even last decade when R&B was still seen as a viable way to make money.
I don't know if you watched the Soul Train Awards, but it was very telling of the current state of R&B. I guarantee a lot of people didn't/don't even recognize any of the new artists. To the youth, Jerimih was probably the only act they were familiar with.

The Soul Train Awards, B.E.T., The Radio etc. are all extensions of the major label system.
They practically exist just to market artists and show their live performances, they're hardly even about "Awards".
If I relied on B.E.T. to tell me about Black artists who are making excellent music, I would've missed out on :
Esperanza Spalding
Judith Hill
Jesse Boykins III
Charles Bradley
Lee Fields
Gary Clark Jr.
Robert Glasper
Terrace martin
and others I'm likely forgetting.

The current state of R&B (and Black MAINSTREAM music) is a complex mix of :
1. Wanting to get signed and doing what is most likely guaranteed to sell my examples being the current crop of Mainstream popular artists like Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Rhianna etc. Many take on aspects of Hip Hop partly I think because it's music they grew up on and obviously music the youth likes but also because of pressure from the people who sign their checks.

2. The destruction of Black Musical Control/Independence. By this I mean there are platforms for "Hip Hop" and Rap&Bullshyt but if you're a SOUL/Funk/Blues/Jazz artist your best bet is some indie or smaller label which can't match the output of a major either that or roughing it on your own. Some of my favorite artists get practically no burn because no one knows about them, not because they don't make great music.

3. Shifts in attitudes towards Black Musicians. Admittedly this is something which has always been an up hill battle for black musicians but
it's made worse when radio is practically a monopoly and the independent scenes of yesteryear have all but evaporated as media consolidation hastened.
So you get people who may not listen to "R&B" based on what is currently marketed as "R&B" even if your brand of "R&B" is much closer to what it was prior to R&B/Hip Hop sales falling off of a cliff somewhere last decade.

This is why Usher and Chris brown were suddenly singing over EDM records
Why Genuwine, Tank, Tyrese, R. Kelly etc. were changing their Tim's and Wife beaters for Nice Suits
and clean shaves.
This is why R&B singers seem more focused on rap-singing their lyrics and skipping over powerful crooning.
And a bunch of other clear and obvious changes in the music

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
2nd week numbers are crazy. We got artists that aren't pulling that on their 1st week. :whoo: :mindblown:

Adele's '25' Sales Rise to Over 4 Million in U.S. | Billboard

The sales keep climbing for Adele's blockbuster 25 album.

After processing the first sales reports through Nov. 29, Nielsen Music says that 25 has sold at least 650,000 copies in its second week on sale in the U.S. Combined with the 3.38 million25 sold in its first week (Nov. 20-Nov. 26), the album has now sold more than 4 million in pure album sales. The album’s second tracking week began on Nov. 27 (the always-busy shopping day known as Black Friday).

Adele's '25' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart, '21' Returns to Top 10

25 is the first album to sell more than 4 million copies in a calendar year since Adele's own21 moved 4.41 million in 2012. (In fact, the only albums to sell at least 4 million in a calendar year since 2006 have been titles by Adele. Aside from 25 in 2015 and 21 in 2012, she also did it with 21 in 2011: 5.82 million.)

There are slightly more than four days left in the sales tracking week to be tabulated (as it ends at the close of business on Thursday, Dec. 3). Some industry forecasters suggest the album could sell another million copies in its second week, making it the first album to sell a million copies in more than one week.

Billboard is scheduled to report 25's second-week sales on Sunday, Dec. 6, once Nielsen has finished processing its weekly data.