Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The number one complaint I’ve seen about Ragnarok is its pacing issues though. I think both games suffer from too many highs and lows. People said they don’t even want to replay Ragnarok because of Ironwood section, and thats not the only slower section of the game. I can’t think of any section of FFXVI where you go that long without combat or key story information.

The entire first third of Ragnarok is honestly pretty slow. After the epic intro of the bear, thor, freya chase sequence. Just like FFXVI with the Phoenix Gate, then it gets slow right after.

And Torgal has about as much usefulness in combat as Atreus/Freya.

Ummm...the Ironwood section is pretty much the only "slow" section of the game and it does still have combat tho.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The original dispute was about pacing, Ragnarok like FFXVI also has pacing issues, specifically with the Atreus sections of the game but not only those sections
I'd say only the Ironwood section falls into that category really, but I do understand folks being underwhelmed playing Atrues since his skillset isn't as robust as Kratos, nor are his segments of the game + the whole switching out the main protagonist thing is practically always shunned by gamers. Not sure why devs continue to do this, considering that.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
The number one complaint I’ve seen about Ragnarok is its pacing issues though. I think both games suffer from too many highs and lows. People said they don’t even want to replay Ragnarok because of Ironwood section, and thats not the only slower section of the game. I can’t think of any section of FFXVI where you go that long without combat or key story information.

The entire first third of Ragnarok is honestly pretty slow. After the epic intro of the bear, thor, freya chase sequence. Just like FFXVI with the Phoenix Gate, then it gets slow right after.

And Torgal has about as much usefulness in combat as Atreus/Freya.
You tripping Brother Duck :russ:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'd say only the Ironwood section falls into that category really, but I do understand folks being underwhelmed playing Atrues since his skillset isn't as robust as Kratos, nor are his segments of the game + the whole switching out the main protagonist thing is practically always shunned by gamers. Not sure why devs continue to do this, considering that.

I do remember people speculating/asking for playable atreus sections before the game released. It was cool at first and second time but they just ended up being too numerous by the end. Theres 5 total Atreus sections, and by the 4th (where you go with Thrud Helheim) and the last with Thor to Nifilheim was pushing it.

But playing FFXVI its understandable why they keep doing it. Its a way to break up the monotony of playing as one person for 30hr games. The problem is they don’t give the alternate characters the same care that they give the main characters so it always feels forced.

Miles in Spider-Man 2018 :whoa:

Miles in Spider-Man 2 :blessed:

its also why i didn’t mind the beginning Joshua section or the later game Phoenix fight. But it would have been annoying if There were even more Joshua segments

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
You tripping Brother Duck :russ:

Right. Torgal literally only has 3 commands and its implementation isn't even intuitive. Freya and Atreus have whole upgradable skill trees for their assistance and can be used considerably varied, especially by comparison. Some of theirs are extremely necessary for area traversal and are damn near essential in combat. @Gizmo_Duck high on New Game/FF stan status with that one.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Right. Torgal literally only has 3 commands and its implementation isn't even intuitive. Freya and Atreus have whole upgradable skill trees for their assistance and can be used considerably varied, especially by comparison. Some of theirs are extremely necessary for area traversal and are damn near essential in combat. @Gizmo_Duck high on New Game/FF stan status with that one.

I mean, yeah they had skills tree’s but it essentially boiled down to the same thing, they got 3 commands that you spam on a timer. Mostly just shooting arrows and doing a special move every so often in aid of what you’re actually doing with Kratos.

If i could have just equipped a ring to make them spam their arrows and specials i would have done it just like this game. They are simply just support/assist characters with limited control

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I mean, yeah they had skills tree’s but it essentially boiled down to the same thing, they got 3 commands that you spam on a timer. Mostly just shooting arrows and doing a special move every so often in aid of what you’re actually doing with Kratos.

If i could have just equipped a ring to make them spam their arrows and specials i would have done it just like this game. They are simply just support/assist characters with limited control
They still were better implemented overall and several skills had very good value that Torgal's just don't compare to.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Haven't been playing long but I'm feeling it
Turn based RPGs can :camby:
Square isn't the king of storytelling or acting so there's that
First time the Eikons fought I couldn't tell WTF was going on

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
My hot take: This game and Ragnarok are about the same rating for me if this isn’t a bit higher. The fact that they are so separated on mc is due to expectations of the franchise with the media.

For every criticism this game has gotten it can be applied to Ragnarok as well. I think the one thing i would give Ragnarok over it is the fact that they included higher difficulty from the start.

You're bugging.

This is a good game but there's clear flaws people are looking over like performance, shytty side quests and shallow gameplay.

Ragnarok actually had repetitive gameplay loops too but there was still way more to do in that game versus the brain dead combat in this game. Same with depth of actual gameplay and Ragnarok never had any performance issues + looked way better as a cross gen game.

The only similarity both games have are the hallway maps but Ragnarok is in another league above this game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You're bugging.

This is a good game but there's clear flaws people are looking over like performance, shytty side quests and shallow gameplay.

Ragnarok actually had repetitive gameplay loops too but there was still way more to do in that game versus the brain dead combat in this game. Same with depth of actual gameplay and Ragnarok never had any performance issues + looked way better as a cross gen game.

The only similarity both games have are the hallway maps but Ragnarok is in another league above this game.

The only reason Ragnarok combat felt better than this game is because of the difficulty level. SE dropped the ball on providing a harder mode, and if GoW could only be played on story or normal difficulty it would have the same issues.

Theres also sidequest in this game that hit just as hard as the best side quest in Ragnarok for me also. This game just has far more shyttier sidequest on top of it.

Like i said, the differences between these two games are really not that far apart for me. I liked Ragnarok too but yall can’t sit here and tell me fighting an old man was a satisfying end game battle

I’d say the only major difference between the structure of these two games is that there aren’t puzzles in this game and judging by the Ragnarok thread everyone hated the puzzles anyway (i didn’t):yeshrug: