Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think they should build on this game. Foundation there just needs refinement.

This gon be top 5 ff in the next couple years and old heads gon hate it :banderas:

Yeah, it could use another iteration, thats kind of the gift and curse with final fantasy they change up so much they never get to perfect their systems. Thats why FF7R will end up being better because they get to improve what they built last game, and 17 could very well start from scratch again. Thats why theres so much division with FF fans because everyone like 3 different games than everyone else.

I like the combat. Yeah it needs to be harder for sure, and isn't as good as FF7R, (IMO a toptier combat system) but once you find a kit you like it really clicks. Been using Ramuh/Bahamut/Phoenix and it's extremely fun to me. Boss fights are top tier. Hands down. Clearing out a whole arena with the Phoenix special.. pretty satisfying.

Side quests are so dialogue heavy.. can't even be bothered to read through em anymore. I still do all of them because they're therapeutic in a way. But overall they could've been done better.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about, there needs to be something other than combat as a gameplay. FFX had those cloister of trial things. Something like that would have been good. Or a card game. Some type of mini game. A extremely deep class system. Anything. This game is pretty much all about its combat and story. Missed opportunity.

Anyway pretty close to the end. Just beat the Warden of Darkness and the boss right after, and did all the S class hunts I could. Going to clean up everything on the map and finish it up.

This is where I’m at. They need mini-games and set pieces, or even platforming sections with Clive and not just the Eikons to break up the monotony, especially with sidequest. People hate those detective vision quest in Witcher and Tsushima etc, but that little stuff helps, along with the ubisoft like towers and bamboo cuts, etc.

A lot of people complain about that shyt but this is what a big AAA game feels like without the checkmark stuff. This game could use some chocobo breeding/races, some eikon type puzzle challenges, a fighting arena where you can win stuff, etc.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
I like the combat. Yeah it needs to be harder for sure, and isn't as good as FF7R, (IMO a toptier combat system) but once you find a kit you like it really clicks. Been using Ramuh/Bahamut/Phoenix and it's extremely fun to me. Boss fights are top tier. Hands down. Clearing out a whole arena with the Phoenix special.. pretty satisfying.

Side quests are so dialogue heavy.. can't even be bothered to read through em anymore. I still do all of them because they're therapeutic in a way. But overall they could've been done better.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about, there needs to be something other than combat as a gameplay. FFX had those cloister of trial things. Something like that would have been good. Or a card game. Some type of mini game. A extremely deep class system. Anything. This game is pretty much all about its combat and story. Missed opportunity.

Anyway pretty close to the end. Just beat the Warden of Darkness and the boss right after, and did all the S class hunts I could. Going to clean up everything on the map and finish it up.
I thought they missed an opportunity with that and the new hideaway

It would have been cool to me if you could customize the hideaway to your liking. Have an economy/material/supply system that would need constant restocks or some shyt.Recruit curse breakers and send them in missions … or maybe have some of them join some of your missions and side quests …. Rescue the branded who were enslaved … leading to a pay off of some kind

Like a deeper version of what they tried to do with metal gear solid 5

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
What are the differences between this and 14 ?
Is it a story ? Are there cutscenes ?

14 is a MMORPG, but the only multiplayer aspects of the game are the dungeons / raids and bosses. The story is all single-player, and there's been like 4 expansions to it (which are basically sequels or continuations of the story like X-2, 13-2 and Lightning Returns).

Otherwise both of these games are EXTREMELY similar from the story to gameplay. Everything outside of the Eikon missions in 16 is actually exactly like 14. The combat is obviously different but much more complex and team based in 14 (classic healer / dps / tank composition with more specific classes) - but things like "cinematic attacks / dodges" / QTEs and the AOE lines before they hit are all in 14 too.

The story is all political, dark and mature just like this game. There's corny anime shyt in the first story but once you're near the end of that first story (probably in the level 40s) its all crack after that. Especially Heavensward and Shadowbringers.

I have played 14, its cool but…

giphy.gif

I don’t play it for the same reason I don’t play a lot of online multiplayer games. I’m trying to be done with most games in like 30-40 hours, it takes like twice that long for XIV to even get going

Lol 14 definitely has the same pacing issues of 16 where it gets super long and boring at times in the story but they cut the filler content out of the first story (Realm Reborn) a year ago, so new people can get to expansions quicker which is where the story actually gets top tier FF.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
would have been cool to me if you could customize the hideaway to your liking. Have an economy/material/supply system that would need constant restocks or some shyt.Recruit curse breakers and send them in missions … or maybe have some of them join some of your missions and side quests …. Rescue the branded who were enslaved … leading to a pay off of some kind

100% this. Base building aspect would have gone a long way in this type of game. Every game that has a hub type world should have a form of expanding and adding to your base. shyt like that is what made the gameplay loop in Midnight Suns tolerable, being able to constantly add more stuff to your base which in turn made your stronger on missions.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
As a person who hates mini games in their action games, I am so glad they didn't include that stuff in this game. The only time I can even tolerate it of when they make it optional and not apart of the main campaign.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
14 is a MMORPG, but the only multiplayer aspects of the game are the dungeons / raids and bosses. The story is all single-player, and there's been like 4 expansions to it (which are basically sequels or continuations of the story like X-2, 13-2 and Lightning Returns).

Otherwise both of these games are EXTREMELY similar from the story to gameplay. Everything outside of the Eikon missions in 16 is actually exactly like 14. The combat is obviously different but much more complex and team based in 14 (classic healer / dps / tank composition with more specific classes) - but things like "cinematic attacks / dodges" / QTEs and the AOE lines before they hit are all in 14 too.

The story is all political, dark and mature just like this game. There's corny anime shyt in the first story but once you're near the end of that first story (probably in the level 40s) its all crack after that. Especially Heavensward and Shadowbringers.

Lol 14 definitely has the same pacing issues of 16 where it gets super long and boring at times in the story but they cut the filler content out of the first story (Realm Reborn) a year ago, so new people can get to expansions quicker which is where the story actually gets top tier FF.

I forgot where i made it to in ARR one of those big cutscenes. IDK i was actually kind of disappointed it was mostly single player, it got lonely just being out in the field killing mob after mob trying to get strong.

I lost like a year of my life to XI when it came out but the funnest parts of that was getting into a party and going deep into a dungeon and the entire party getting bodied by something or those skill chains poppin off in perfect harmony.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Yeah, I'm somewhere toward the middle of the game (just beat up those soldiers for L'ubor) and I have to admit the the game is on the easy side :heh:

I think the entire game I've died once, and it was only because I wasn't paying attention to my health (still had a full stock of potions left). Not sure I'll be motivated to play a New Game+ though, unless there's more than just a difficulty increase. If they release DLC I'm all in tho.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, it could use another iteration, thats kind of the gift and curse with final fantasy they change up so much they never get to perfect their systems. Thats why FF7R will end up being better because they get to improve what they built last game, and 17 could very well start from scratch again. Thats why theres so much division with FF fans because everyone like 3 different games than everyone else.

This is where I’m at. They need mini-games and set pieces, or even platforming sections with Clive and not just the Eikons to break up the monotony, especially with sidequest. People hate those detective vision quest in Witcher and Tsushima etc, but that little stuff helps, along with the ubisoft like towers and bamboo cuts, etc.

A lot of people complain about that shyt but this is what a big AAA game feels like without the checkmark stuff. This game could use some chocobo breeding/races, some eikon type puzzle challenges, a fighting arena where you can win stuff, etc.
Yeah, I don't know why rpgs or action-adventure games like this, when they have elemental powers, they don't expand upon other creative ways you could use those powers for shyt outside of combat. For example, if you have water powers, they could incorporate side-story segments when you're using your water to put out fires, replenish drought areas or using wind powers for flight or some shyt.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I like the combat. Yeah it needs to be harder for sure, and isn't as good as FF7R, (IMO a toptier combat system) but once you find a kit you like it really clicks.

7 Remake is definitely the goat FF battle system. It was the best blend of action RPG and still some menu-based strategy.

I thought they missed an opportunity with that and the new hideaway

It would have been cool to me if you could customize the hideaway to your liking. Have an economy/material/supply system that would need constant restocks or some shyt.Recruit curse breakers and send them in missions … or maybe have some of them join some of your missions and side quests …. Rescue the branded who were enslaved … leading to a pay off of some kind

A lot of what you want is in 14 lol

This is kinda like GTA4, where it was a good game and a step towards GTA growing up, but it was also R* removing and simplifying things from GTA SA.

This was Yoshi P making another Yoshi P ass game. Except its more casual this time. Probably to attract new people to the FF franchise.

I forgot where i made it to in ARR one of those big cutscenes. IDK i was actually kind of disappointed it was mostly single player, it got lonely just being out in the field killing mob after mob trying to get strong.

I lost like a year of my life to XI when it came out but the funnest parts of that was getting into a party and going deep into a dungeon and the entire party getting bodied by something or those skill chains poppin off in perfect harmony.

Yeah ARR does take a while to get good, but once it does (around the main plot twist) it never slows down, and the expansions build on all of that too.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think they purposely avoided adding a lot of open world bells and whistles to keep the scope lower, get the game out on time, under budget, etc. I think people underestimate just how badly development was for XV, XIV, and even VII remake which had to be brought back in-house cause cyberconnect was fukking it up. Keeping this game linear was just a creative business decision.

This was SE getting their development pipeline back on track, and they managed to put out a good product that was received far better than the last 4 mainline games.

The best thing for them to do going forward to keep CBU3 on mainline games, maybe change writers or other roles, and continue doing the remakes with other studios. I’m pretty sure IX is being remade by the World of Final Fantasy team. X i have no clue who would remake that

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They should segregate their output: Kinda like Forza & Forza Horizon
Mainstream = action RPG
Smaller budget = turnbased

I think thats what they’re trying to do, right now you have

• FFVII trilogy - semi-action/turn based
  • FFXV/FFXVI - action focused
  • FF IX remake - turned based/ATB
  • Asano games - retro turn based
They just need to stick to that cadence more consistently like capcom has been doing.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
I think thats what they’re trying to do, right now you have

• FFVII trilogy - semi-action/turn based
  • FFXV/FFXVI - action focused
  • FF IX remake - turned based/ATB
  • Asano games - retro turn based
They just need to stick to that cadence more consistently like capcom has been doing.

If they stick to this I’ll be completely satisfied with square’s latest reiteration. They aren’t dropping bonafide classics anymore, but consistent 8-9s with that variety is fantastic.