Final fantasy XVI (Official Thread) ensure spoilers are wrapped in spoiler tag.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
@Gizmo_Duck[/USER] high on New Game/FF stan status with that one.

This game gonna feel like a massive improvement for FF fans from the darker and more mature story alone, but if you played FF14 then you'd be familiar with this cause this is like the 5th FF story (after all the FF14 expansions that are pretty much individual FF games due to size and content) by Yoshi P

The only reason Ragnarok combat felt better than this game is because of the difficulty level. SE dropped the ball on providing a harder mode, and if GoW could only be played on story or normal difficulty it would have the same issues.

Theres also sidequest in this game that hit just as hard as the best side quest in Ragnarok for me also. This game just has far more shyttier sidequest on top of it.

Like i said, the differences between these two games are really not that far apart for me. I liked Ragnarok too but yall can’t sit here and tell me fighting an old man was a satisfying end game battle

The combat in GOW actually requires mastering mechanics and builds. The combat in FF16 is just DPS until the enemy is dead. You never need to learn enemy attacks or mechanics outside of knowing when to dodge (and the game gives a wildly large dodge window). You don't even need to worry about status ailments, when higher difficulties in Ragnarok give all bosses runic armor lmao.

And this is just combat. Ragnarok at least had puzzles and some (lol) exploration stuff. FF16 drops the ball in gameplay completely outside of the eikon set pieces. It's really just the story and lore that makes the game engaging cause the gameplay is lacking in every way. Ragnarok had both story and gameplay.

Last edited:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Another one of my complaints … well .. so far

I don’t like how the elements don’t really matter
Like why can I hurt a fire boss with fire ?

shyts stupid as hell.

And it's crazy how no one noticed how the morborl bad breath didn't silence / blind / confuse / petrify / poison / etc you when everyone was high off the demo.

Theres no reason for them to remove these mechanics.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This game gonna feel like a massive improvement for FF

The combat in GOW actually requires mastering mechanics and builds. The combat in FF16 is just DPS until the enemy is dead. You never need to learn enemy attacks or mechanics outside of knowing when to dodge (and the game gives a wildly large dodge window). You don't even need to worry about status ailments, when higher difficulties in Ragnarok give all bosses runic armor lmao.

And this is just combat. Ragnarok at least had puzzles and some (lol) exploration stuff. FF16 drops the ball in gameplay completely outside of the eikon set pieces. It's really just the story and lore that makes the game engaging cause the gameplay is lacking in every way. Ragnarok had both story and gameplay.

the exploration in this game is on par with GoW 2018, Ragnarok definitely stepped that up, but i still disagree with the gameplay. I think this is a great system and its even more on par with GoW in NG+

Like even jsut fighting the primed dominants in this game were more engaging than the full boss fights in Ragnarok. Heimdell and Thor especially weren’t really that difficult or spectacular at all. None of the story boss fights in Ragnarok involved any more strategy outside of cancelling the blue power ups

Both games have the same dodge, parry, skill + cooldown, loop. And Clive just feels more nimble than Kratos which is also a plus for me

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
the exploration in this game is on par with GoW 2018, Ragnarok definitely stepped that up, but i still disagree with the gameplay. I think this is a great system and its even more on par with GoW in NG+

Like even jsut fighting the primed dominants in this game were more engaging than the full boss fights in Ragnarok. Heimdell and Thor especially weren’t really that difficult or spectacular at all. None of the story boss fights in Ragnarok involved any more strategy outside of cancelling the blue power ups

This game definitely has spectacle over Rag, but I strongly disagree with everything else you're saying.

Gameplay wise, Rag is way more in-depth and varied than this game. This goes without explanation and I dont think anyone is gonna agree with you here. Every fight in this game is exactly the same (achieve stagger status and DPS until dead), and there's nothing outside of combat and story.

And exploration wise both games are pretty shallow, but its literally nonexistent in FF16. There is absolutely nothing to find from exploring the maps outside a side quest area that hasn't been triggered yet. There's no side bosses, no side dungeons, no omega weapon, no unique / relic weapons, there's nothing to find, there's not even anything to see in terms of cool unique areas that older FFs are known for. You see a sparkling item in the distance? You go there and pick it up and its 8 gil.

Last edited:

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
More I sit on this outside of the story the more I think I'm fine with not having another final fantasy like this. The story is tremendous may be the best since 10? But man the gameplay, sidequest , inventory management is all some absolute shyt. I'm still not even sure what's my purpose of upgrading weapons armor shyt seems useless to do so

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If you love this game this much, then you need to just play FF14 at this point lol

Its gonna feel like the Snyder cut version of this game

I have played 14, its cool but…

giphy.gif

I don’t play it for the same reason I don’t play a lot of online multiplayer games. I’m trying to be done with most games in like 30-40 hours, it takes like twice that long for XIV to even get going

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
I like the combat. Yeah it needs to be harder for sure, and isn't as good as FF7R, (IMO a toptier combat system) but once you find a kit you like it really clicks. Been using Ramuh/Bahamut/Phoenix and it's extremely fun to me. Boss fights are top tier. Hands down. Clearing out a whole arena with the Phoenix special.. pretty satisfying.

Side quests are so dialogue heavy.. can't even be bothered to read through em anymore. I still do all of them because they're therapeutic in a way. But overall they could've been done better.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about, there needs to be something other than combat as a gameplay. FFX had those cloister of trial things. Something like that would have been good. Or a card game. Some type of mini game. A extremely deep class system. Anything. This game is pretty much all about its combat and story. Missed opportunity.

Anyway pretty close to the end. Just beat the Warden of Darkness and the boss right after, and did all the S class hunts I could. Going to clean up everything on the map and finish it up.