Final Fantasy VII Remake:Part1. INTERmission DLC (6/10/21).

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its stupid. And it lets people still earn trophies apparently. I was checking a few streams and damn near everyone was using cheats.
The game Without cheats isn't playable today. Too tedious.

The remake should adopt the ff13 battle system

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I hate to be that guy but 30 hours is incredibly short for an RPG.

Fred.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hate to be that guy but 30 hours is incredibly short for an RPG.

Fred.
mass effect series are under 30 hours for the main story
How long is Mass Effect? - HLTB
ME1 takes 29 hours to beat the main game+extras.

The OG FFVII allegedly takes 38 1/2 hours to beat. This FFVII will take 30 hours per part so on paper this remake sounds MUCH larger.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
mass effect series are under 30 hours for the main story
How long is Mass Effect? - HLTB
ME1 takes 29 hours to beat the main game+extras.

"Mass Effect" isn't a good example because it was a 3rd person action/RPG.

"FF7" was an old school turn based Japanese RPG. Aside from the graphics there wasn't much "Americanized" about it.

Granted I think they should update the combat but the "Final Fantasy" series and "Mass Effect" shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, in terms of design and game play.

Fred.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Mass Effect" isn't a good example because it was a 3rd person action/RPG.

"FF7" was an old school turn based Japanese RPG. Aside from the graphics there wasn't much "Americanized" about it.

Granted I think they should update the combat but the "Final Fantasy" series and "Mass Effect" shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, in terms of design and game play.

Fred.
Well what RPG are you comparing FFVII Remake's length to?? I'm looking at average completion times for some RPG games and it seems pretty in line. Most JRPG games seem to be 20-50 hours on average. 30 hours for a multi part remake seems pretty big.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Well what RPG are you comparing FFVII Remake's length to?? I'm looking at average completion times for some RPG games and it seems pretty in line. Most JRPG games seem to be 20-50 hours on average. 30 hours for a multi part remake seems pretty big.

A modern old school turn based RPG is "Divinity: Original Sin". It took me around 100 hours to beat it.

If they mean 30 hours plus however long doing a bunch of extra shyt like chocobo breeding, etc. cool. If they're talking about 30 hours flat....that's not good. And the multi-part thing isn't really a plus because they're charging you....let's say $120....for 90 hours of content if it's 3 parts. RPGs can be 90 hours nowadays for $40 once.

Having said all that I will with hold judgement until more info comes out.

Fred.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
I love how people use Witcher 3 as an example, knowing that Witcher 3 just released two full game sized DLC patches. Technically those are "episodes" that you paid for. Instead of DLC, Square is releasing FFVII in parts. This does not sound like a cash grab.

A cash grab is minimal investment, maximum profit. A true cash grab is a FFVII PS4 update with no changes other than graphics. No, this is a full on re-imagining of the FFVII mythos. Square is giving fans exactly what they've been waiting for. There's no difference between 6 episodic discs for each chapter of the game, and one game with 5 DLC drops.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
30 hours is fine for an RPG. So many people doing their best to shyt all over this for who the fukk knows what reason. :francis:

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
A modern old school turn based RPG is "Divinity: Original Sin". It took me around 100 hours to beat it.

If they mean 30 hours plus however long doing a bunch of extra shyt like chocobo breeding, etc. cool. If they're talking about 30 hours flat....that's not good. And the multi-part thing isn't really a plus because they're charging you....let's say $120....for 90 hours of content if it's 3 parts. RPGs can be 90 hours nowadays for $40 once.

Having said all that I will with hold judgement until more info comes out.

Fred.

You use Divinity: Original Sin as an example, and then talk about "time sinks"? DOS is the most hollow 100 hour game you'll ever play. It's only that long because the game went back to 1990 PC mechanics and gameplay.

Xenogears would be a better example of a lengthy game that is actually full with content.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
30 hours is fine for an RPG. So many people doing their best to shyt all over this for who the fukk knows what reason. :francis:

40 hours of FFVII is not the same as 40 hours of an open world game. To master everything in the old FFVII would take 100 hours easy. You couldn't speedrun FFVII like you could other hollow open world RPG's.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I love how people use Witcher 3 as an example, knowing that Witcher 3 just released two full game sized DLC patches. Technically those are "episodes" that you paid for. Instead of DLC, Square is releasing FFVII in parts. This does not sound like a cash grab.

A cash grab is minimal investment, maximum profit. A true cash grab is a FFVII PS4 update with no changes other than graphics. No, this is a full on re-imagining of the FFVII mythos. Square is giving fans exactly what they've been waiting for. There's no difference between 6 episodic discs for each chapter of the game, and one game with 5 DLC drops.

Uh....what? :dahell:

This is terrible logic. "The Witcher 3" was a hell of a lot longer than 30 hours before the first DLC came out, which was $10.

The second DLC isn't even out yet.

And then on top of that they gave you a fukk ton of DLCs for free. Granted, some were stupid shyt like horse armor but others were actual quests that added to the story.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You use Divinity: Original Sin as an example, and then talk about "time sinks"? DOS is the most hollow 100 hour game you'll ever play. It's only that long because the game went back to 1990 PC mechanics and gameplay.

Xenogears would be a better example of a lengthy game that is actually full with content.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

"FF7" is literally "1990's mechanics and game play" because it came out in the 90's. I was trying to compare a modern game to it. And you're the first person I've ever seen refer to "D:OS" as a time sink.

Fred.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Uh....what? :dahell:

This is terrible logic. "The Witcher 3" was a hell of a lot longer than 30 hours before the first DLC came out, which was $10.

The second DLC isn't even out yet.

And then on top of that they gave you a fukk ton of DLCs for free. Granted, some were stupid shyt like horse armor but others were actual quests that added to the story.

Fred.

No not terrible logic. FFVII is going to be a lengthy game, people are assuming that it's going to be 6 5 hour games in sequence. There's no proof that that's true. However, all gaming companies at this point are guilty of having a game and then adding episodic content, so let's not act like Square is committing a travesty here. There's no difference if square has one 40 hour game with a bunch of DLC following it (Witcher) and dropping a sequence of games.

Square could very well be planning to make a very large game, which I believe they are. Since FFVII, there have been many games and movies that have added to the Lore and it would make sense for Square to want to include all of it while doing the original mythos justice.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

"FF7" is literally "1990's mechanics and game play" because it came out in the 90's. I was trying to compare a modern game to it. And you're the first person I've ever seen refer to "D:OS" as a time sink.

Fred.

My point is, you mention length of D:OS like a hallmark, when it's really the throwback style and presentation that makes it that long. D:OS is hollow in it's length, there are other RPG's that were shorter but fuller in content.