Final Fantasy VII Remake:Part1. INTERmission DLC (6/10/21).

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I STRONGLY disagree and think you're misreading the purpose of Sonon as a character, but whatever :yeshrug:

Btw, can we just acknowledge that following on from that extended ending
aerith is clearly dead in Zack's timeline

If he returned directly after the battle with all those soldiers when he should've died, that would've been before Aerith even met Cloud and Sepiroth, so she could still be alive. Question is why wasn't Zack carrying Cloud when he got back.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what’s the purpose of his character?
Do we still need spoilers in this thread? I'm gonna spoiler this one but can we talk free or nah? (to everyone)

he was just a pretty simple plot device to flesh out yuffie's story. She actually has a personal beef with Shinra and has lost someone close to her at their hands now. This means minor things like there can be more complex relationship trees developed between her in the future games with people like Barret, Aerith, Vincent because they'll have something in common to share in their hatred towards Shinra. In OG FFVII she's only tagging along to restore Wutai's nationalistic strength and pride, and she's extremely irrelevant to the main story, but now it makes more sense for her to be with the group, and opens up the doors for her character and the wutai (and wutai/avalanche) arc to be expanded upon. Plus she just defeated Nero amd encountered deepground, which means she now has something to talk to Vincent about and trade info. Which she'll want to hear what Vincent has to say because they clearly made it look like Sonon is gonna come back to haunt Yuffie in some fucced up way the way Nero dragged him into the abyss. The set up for that was obvious. Plus tbh, they used Sonon to show Yuffie go from the teenage brat we knew of throughout the whole of FFVII OG to by the end of the DLC she's a bit more wiser, but a bit more damaged, and a bit less of a brat :yeshrug:

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he returned directly after the battle with all those soldiers when he should've died, that would've been before Aerith even met Cloud and Sepiroth, so she could still be alive. Question is why wasn't Zack carrying Cloud when he got back.
Yeah but mate....the timeline is completely different so that doesn't even make sense. And you kinda answered your own q with your post. Why're you assuming he went straight the church from that battlefield? You're pulling that out of thin air. I think Aerith is dead because all the youts that hung with Aerith in the church are crying, it's only those youts crying with the adults consoling them...and this is the type of thing SE would do, esp how they did that cliffhanger...like Zack thought he was gonna surprise his ex gf with his return, and he ended up getting the surprise :umad:. Plus the whole thing about meeting Cloud, well Zack carried him into Midgar, so there's no way Aerith and Cloud would meet in the same way to begin with. It's all fucced up loool but trust me, she's dead

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Do we still need spoilers in this thread? I'm gonna spoiler this one but can we talk free or nah? (to everyone)

he was just a pretty simple plot device to flesh out yuffie's story. She actually has a personal beef with Shinra and has lost someone close to her at their hands now. This means minor things like there can be more complex relationship trees developed between her in the future games with people like Barret, Aerith, Vincent because they'll have something in common to share in their hatred towards Shinra. In OG FFVII she's only tagging along to restore Wutai's nationalistic strength and pride, and she's extremely irrelevant to the main story, but now it makes more sense for her to be with the group, and opens up the doors for her character and the wutai (and wutai/avalanche) arc to be expanded upon. Plus she just defeated Nero amd encountered deepground, which means she now has something to talk to Vincent about and trade info. Which she'll want to hear what Vincent has to say because they clearly made it look like Sonon is gonna come back to haunt Yuffie in some fucced up way the way Nero dragged him into the abyss. The set up for that was obvious. Plus tbh, they used Sonon to show Yuffie go from the teenage brat we knew of throughout the whole of FFVII OG to by the end of the DLC she's a bit more wiser, but a bit more damaged, and a bit less of a brat :yeshrug:

Oh well, yeah, i know he pretty much serves as a “woman in the fridge” plot device. His only purpose is making Yuffie a more interesting character, but he himself isn’t very interesting or unique. Throughout the whole dlc i just kept thinking “alright hurry up and kill this nikka so yuffie can be yuffie”...I’d rather they have gave yuffie more of an actual meaningful story about HER sister or something.

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh well, yeah, i know he pretty much serves as a “woman in the fridge” plot device. His only purpose is making Yuffie a more interesting character, but he himself isn’t very interesting or unique. Throughout the whole dlc i just kept thinking “alright hurry up and kill this nikka so yuffie can be yuffie”...I’d rather they have gave yuffie more of an actual meaningful story about HER sister or something.

yeah I hear you. Because I knew what he was there for, for me I only saw him as an extension of Yuffie so I didn't care necessarily about *him*

Actually, come to think about it, Leslie's pretty wack too

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
yeah I hear you. Because I knew what he was there for, for me I only saw him as an extension of Yuffie so I didn't care necessarily about *him*

Actually, come to think about it, Leslie's pretty wack too

I think japanese writers are better at writing over arching plots while western writers are better at character driven stories. I feel like every time they try and flesh out a character or bring someone new into the fold it falls a little flat for me.

I think extension is the right word to use for Sonon. Even the fact that you can’t even directly control him, only use him as support to yuffie kind of describes his character. Not only that but his actual design is boring also, they could have made him look like more of a ninja or something.

The fact they are seemingly keeping him alive is just more of an eye roll for me. It’s like what are they gonna use him for again now, on top of all the other non-dead characters? This is why people feel like the story is getting kingdom-heartsy. They will just not commit to a single clear narrative. Modern day square enix is the definition of doing too much.

You got one job to do, remake the game, stop adding unnecessary work and trouble to the ordeal, we got like 3 more games to go

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is another reason why I’m looking forward to FF16. Something fresh, and new without the burden of 25 years of fan service and spinofffs holding it down. You get something with a open and closed narrative with no expectation that its gonna end on a weird cliff hanger or something.

Even FF15, had all this lore through the movies and anime’s and what not attached to it. It’s been a long time since we just got a complete Final Fantasy game in one package

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
This is another reason why I’m looking forward to FF16. Something fresh, and new without the burden of 25 years of fan service and spinofffs holding it down. You get something with a open and closed narrative with no expectation that its gonna end on a weird cliff hanger or something.

Even FF15, had all this lore through the movies and anime’s and what not attached to it. It’s been a long time since we just got a complete Final Fantasy game in one package

It's one of the main reasons why I personally don't believe that's it's not necessarily a bad thing that these video game developers start wrangling in their employees on a setting a singular vision rather than free reign to do whatever they please. It prevents situations like what's going on with the Kingdom Hearts series and now with the FFVII remake.

Too many stories and plotlines going on with not enough time to address them all properly. I called it a while back that they weren't going to kill him off and save him for later purpose and foil to Yuffie. I have come to notice that's how SE operates.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's one of the main reasons why I personally don't believe that's it's not necessarily a bad thing that these video game developers start wrangling in their employees on a setting a singular vision rather than free reign to do whatever they please. It prevents situations like what's going on with the Kingdom Hearts series and now with the FFVII remake.

Too many stories and plotlines going on with not enough time to address them all properly. I called it a while back that they weren't going to kill him off and save him for later purpose and foil to Yuffie.

Yeah, when they were talking about how they had no idea how they were gonna design episode 2, whether its open world or not, and how it’s not as clear of a vision as midgar was i already knew we were in for some bullshyt

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Yeah, when they were talking about how they had no idea how they were gonna design episode 2, whether its open world or not, and how it’s not as clear of a vision as midgar was i already knew we were in for some bullshyt

I'd rather them just cut out some of the filler worlds instead of padding content and get straight to the point. Just because it was in the OG doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be carried over.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Everything y'all are saying is why I wouldn't mind the remake series being a mostly linear experience. Once you start trying to go open world the quality of storytelling and character building tends to fall off a cliff.

Nobody has an issue with FF7R from chapters 1 to halfway through chapter 17. Once you hit that halfway point of chapter 17 and you get closer to the when the open world is supposed to come into play it all starts to get like :gucci:.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Everything y'all are saying is why I wouldn't mind the remake series being a mostly linear experience. Once you start trying to go open world the quality of storytelling and character building tends to fall off a cliff.

Nobody has an issue with FF7R from chapters 1 to halfway through chapter 17. Once you hit that halfway point of chapter 17 and you get closer to the when the open world is supposed to come into play it all starts to get like :gucci:.

I just don’t think square enix has the ability to pull off an open world FF7. As much as i would like something similar to 12 with huge zones I’m not sure if it will happen, it will probably end up like 13.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I just don’t think square enix has the ability to pull off an open world FF7. As much as i would like something similar to 12 with huge zones I’m not sure if it will happen, it will probably end up like 13.

I think it should be similar to how to original FF7 was, a wide linear experience(because that's what it was FF7 was NEVER open world until disc 3). Put the story on rails to a certain point and then open up for a period of time for side quests and character building. It really isn't rocket science the formula is already there.

FF7R could have been a wide linear experience, but they didn't do that for some reason. As much as I like this game I feel like they left A LOT of meat on the bone with Remake part 1.