Final Fantasy VII Remake:Part1. INTERmission DLC (6/10/21).

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I know its become trendy to say. But I really think 9 is my favorite. It was the perfect mix of new and old school and I dug the art style and characters a lot.

Then again I always quit 7 at disc 2 when you cross the ocean or whatever idk why lol. Like 4 times I played it that far and put it down.

I also keep startin 6 and keep stoppin like 10 hours in. I like it just something pulls me away everytime.

I gotta get on that.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Forgive me if it's old news but Nomura doesn't wanna stop the remake train at just FF7 and not just the PS1 era:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/n...asy-remakes-but-not-from-the-playstation-era/

e5EgnTJ.gif

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
to counter your point...it wasn't a trope until post FF8. Squall and Cloud were really some of the first "emo" protagonists. Other than that the main player was usually silent in RPGs. Blame Tetsuya Nomura.

I see this sentiment a lot, by to don't understand it. Where are people seeing Cloud in FFVII as "emo"?

At the beginning of the game, he's a cocky jerkass who only cares about money. Exactly what you'd expect from someone who had taken on parts of Zack's persona as their own. And even that doesn't last long as he mellows out and settles into the leadership role as disc 1 goes on

After he goes through the craziness of discovering his true self, he's a lot more caring about what's actually happening to the planet and genuinely shows concern for his team

I think people are letting their perception of Cloud in Advent Children bleed over into how they see him in FF7. He was a lot of things in 7, but "emo" definitely wasn't one of them

I'd argue Squall isn't emo either, but that's for another post

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I see this sentiment a lot, by to don't understand it. Where are people seeing Cloud in FFVII as "emo"?

At the beginning of the game, he's a cocky jerkass who only cares about money. Exactly what you'd expect from someone who had taken on parts of Zack's persona as their own. And even that doesn't last long as he mellows out and settles into the leadership role as disc 1 goes on

After he goes through the craziness of discovering his true self, he's a lot more caring about what's actually happening to the planet and genuinely shows concern for his team

I think people are letting their perception of Cloud in Advent Children bleed over into how they see him in FF7. He was a lot of things in 7, but "emo" definitely wasn't one of them

I'd argue Squall isn't emo either, but that's for another post

Its because as FF7 went on he got more and more emo, after ole girl dies is expected, but Mideel was the worst. You saw how self loathing he was about not making it in SOLDIER so much so that he couldn't even show his face to his childhood crush. He doesn't really become a leader until disc 3. And Advent Children is canon so :manny:

And Squall isn't "emo" per se. But i'd like to hear your theory.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I know its become trendy to say. But I really think 9 is my favorite. It was the perfect mix of new and old school and I dug the art style and characters a lot.

Then again I always quit 7 at disc 2 when you cross the ocean or whatever idk why lol. Like 4 times I played it that far and put it down.

I also keep startin 6 and keep stoppin like 10 hours in. I like it just something pulls me away everytime.

I gotta get on that.

6 is such a treat really finish that game man ASAP. But IDK its something about 8 I really dig. I think its Nomura's best work as a battle visuals designer and character designer. Edea, Squall, Sefier, Zell, etc all have dope designs. The Gardens look amazing even now to me. And the Esthar arc is one of the coolest twists in the series imo

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
6 is such a treat really finish that game man ASAP. But IDK its something about 8 I really dig. I think its Nomura's best work as a battle visuals designer and character designer. Edea, Squall, Sefier, Zell, etc all have dope designs. The Gardens look amazing even now to me. And the Esthar arc is one of the coolest twists in the series imo

Seifer was dope. One of my favorite characters in all of FF and one of the main highlights of 8.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.

I gotta get on that.

You're definitely missing out.

Jesus.

I always wished those games would never end when I played them.

Especially VI.

Oh, and IV is underrated.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
You're definitely missing out.

Jesus.

I always wished those games would never end when I played them.

Especially VI.

Oh, and IV is underrated.
I didn't stop cause I wasnt enjoyin them. Just different things in life seem to keep pullin me away from finishing those two games.

bytches. Jobs. Breaks from gaming. Other games etc. seems everytime I play VI or VII one those things happens and by the time I wanna finish I forget where I was at.

I do the same shyt with books sometimes. I'll take a week break 3/4 through a book go back to read it. Forget exactly what's happening and lose my motivation to finish.

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Its because as FF7 went on he got more and more emo, after ole girl dies is expected, but Mideel was the worst. You saw how self loathing he was about not making it in SOLDIER so much so that he couldn't even show his face to his childhood crush. He doesn't really become a leader until disc 3. And Advent Children is canon so :manny:

Before I address this, I have to ask. What is "emo" to you? The way I originally heard the term used in a non-musical context, it was to derisively describe who were unnecessarily whiny or complaining about things while still having it good for the most part.

Cloud's personality barely changed between the time they left Midgar and when Aerith got killed. And even after that, he's just more driven to beat Sephiroth. At no point before they get to the Northern Crater and he goes missing does he fit that whiny complaining archetype I'm thinking of.

As for Mideel, are you talking about the flashback in the Lifestream? I'm not seeing it. Before he left to try to join SOLDIER, Cloud bragged about how he was going to be the next Sephiroth. And then failed to even get accepted. Considering how we see in the same series of flashbacks how he desperately wanted to prove himself to others, is it really surprising that he might decide not to show his face because he didn't match up to his boasts? At no point did he complain about not making it in SOLDIER. He was just pretty matter of fact about it and about why he hid his face. If I agreed that he was being emo at that point, I'd have to accept that anytime someone felt shame or disappointment for not reaching a goal, they're being "emo." To me that's a huge reach, at best.

For most of the game, Cloud was pretty upbeat. In fact, one of the common complaints about his personality in Advent Children was that it seemed like such a major departure from how he was in FF 7

As for Squall not being emo, going off how I've always understood the term, he doesn't fit either. Cold, yes. Aloof, definitely. Dismissive and distant, certainly. a$$hole, you can make a good argument for, at least for much of the game. Emo though? Again, I don't see it.

Daps
^^Advent Children was disappointing hell. It's still a great movie, but I expected waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more out of that film. At least it a 100 times better than that other Final Fantasy movie.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Before I address this, I have to ask. What is "emo" to you? The way I originally heard the term used in a non-musical context, it was to derisively describe who were unnecessarily whiny or complaining about things while still having it good for the most part.

Cloud's personality barely changed between the time they left Midgar and when Aerith got killed. And even after that, he's just more driven to beat Sephiroth. At no point before they get to the Northern Crater and he goes missing does he fit that whiny complaining archetype I'm thinking of.

As for Mideel, are you talking about the flashback in the Lifestream? I'm not seeing it. Before he left to try to join SOLDIER, Cloud bragged about how he was going to be the next Sephiroth. And then failed to even get accepted. Considering how we see in the same series of flashbacks how he desperately wanted to prove himself to others, is it really surprising that he might decide not to show his face because he didn't match up to his boasts? At no point did he complain about not making it in SOLDIER. He was just pretty matter of fact about it and about why he hid his face. If I agreed that he was being emo at that point, I'd have to accept that anytime someone felt shame or disappointment for not reaching a goal, they're being "emo." To me that's a huge reach, at best.

For most of the game, Cloud was pretty upbeat. In fact, one of the common complaints about his personality in Advent Children was that it seemed like such a major departure from how he was in FF 7

As for Squall not being emo, going off how I've always understood the term, he doesn't fit either. Cold, yes. Aloof, definitely. Dismissive and distant, certainly. a$$hole, you can make a good argument for, at least for much of the game. Emo though? Again, I don't see it.

Emo has nothing to do with whiny. Emo is about being brooding, depressed and for the most part caught in ones own feelings constantly. Being emo has more to do with being obsessed with ones own sadness. Its really self absorbed. Which I why I called him emo.
He didn't make it in SOLDIER so he fell into his own feelings of inadequacy. Post his fall into the lifestream he basically becomes Zack (my other issue with FF7 is how Aerith just falls for Cloud even though he is basically a blonde Zack at that point...even carries around the same weapon...that's silly).
Squall to me isn't as emo because dude was just an a$$hole until he met the right chick. Quintis threw it at him when they were in the training area in Balamb Garden, but he didn't like her. He meets Rinoa and actually becomes a pretty dope dude who defends his friends, still tries to talk Sefier out of being a puppet and goes hard for his chick. :manny:

Cloud on the other hand is on his depressed shyt until after his Jungian foray into his own mind. And even then he's never fully back normal because he lost his love (which is fine by me).

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Emo has nothing to do with whiny. Emo is about being brooding, depressed and for the most part caught in ones own feelings constantly. Being emo has more to do with being obsessed with ones own sadness. Its really self absorbed. Which I why I called him emo.
He didn't make it in SOLDIER so he fell into his own feelings of inadequacy. Post his fall into the lifestream he basically becomes Zack (my other issue with FF7 is how Aerith just falls for Cloud even though he is basically a blonde Zack at that point...even carries around the same weapon...that's silly).
Squall to me isn't as emo because dude was just an a$$hole until he met the right chick. Quintis threw it at him when they were in the training area in Balamb Garden, but he didn't like her. He meets Rinoa and actually becomes a pretty dope dude who defends his friends, still tries to talk Sefier out of being a puppet and goes hard for his chick. :manny:

Cloud on the other hand is on his depressed shyt until after his Jungian foray into his own mind. And even then he's never fully back normal because he lost his love (which is fine by me).

Naw Aerith knew Cloud had more than what he was showing on the exterior at that point. Let's not forget who Aerith was. She told Cloud in so many words "I want to know the real YOU" that he was putting on a mask and she was interested in the deeper person inside and getting to know that person-- the real Cloud.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with initial (basic) attraction to someone.