Final entrant numbers for EVO 2019 revealed, Smash #1 with ~3500, 7 games total with 1000+ entrants

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Smash is literally everything in that first paragraph. Really don't need to say anything more.

But I see the argument has derailed into what I thought it was which was judging the game based on the people who play it.

Except for fixed boundaries. You have to turn off the default party mode for that, lol.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Smash been at EVO for years, why nikkas having a problem with it now?
Let's be clear, we've ALWAYS had a problem with it. This is far from the first time it has come up. For us, it's some off brand shyt that messes the flow up. Fortunately I get to turn Evo off and not have to concern myself with waiting FOREVER for the shyt to end so I can see a top 8 I give a shyt about.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let's be clear, we've ALWAYS had a problem with it. This is far from the first time it has come up. For us, it's some off brand shyt that messes the flow up. Fortunately I get to turn Evo off and not have to concern myself with waiting FOREVER for the shyt to end so I can see a top 8 I give a shyt about.
If smash was an Xbox exclusive you'd be riding it's dikk nikka

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
If smash was an Xbox exclusive you'd be riding it's dikk nikka
What a clown. :mjlol: You sound desperate. I don't sweat any of this shyt. If I wanted to play that shyt, I would own a Switch. I can afford whatever I want, I just don't like that goofy shyt.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
What a clown. :mjlol: You sound desperate. I don't sweat any of this shyt. If I wanted to play that shyt, I would own a Switch. I can afford whatever I want, I just don't like that goofy shyt.

Funny thing on my account is that I actually like the newest version of the game, but I still damn sure don't consider it a fighting game. Hell, one of the main reasons it has the amount of popularity that it has is cuz it isn't a fighting game at the heart of it and at the end of the day. I find it mildly annoying that the "purists" of the game want it and try to play it to be a fighting game so badly. I'd rather they play the game in party mode the way it was made and intended to be.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Funny thing on my account is that I actually like the newest version of the game, but I still damn sure don't consider it a fighting game. Hell, one of the main reasons it has the amount of popularity that it has is cuz it isn't a fighting game at the heart of it and at the end of the day. I find it mildly annoying that the "purists" of the game want it and try to play it to be a fighting game so badly. I'd rather they play the game in party mode the way it was made and intended to be.
It's kinda sorta fun casually. Trying to make it competitive (something the creator is dead set against:stopitslime:) fukks it all up.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nobody cares about your opinion. I find your skills in the game mildly annoying seeing how trash you were and giving now you're talking about what u consider it : mjlol:

Last edited:

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
A lot of this is just the legacy fighting game community wanting to distance themselves from the Smash community because it skews young, weird, and unclean. I don't think this is really about what makes a fighting game a fighting game like some of you say.
Its both. The game is not actually a fighting game, and the community is not the fgc community.
You guys basically just have to troll and make strawman arguments in order to have a semblance of a leg to stand on with this tearing down of Smash's competitiveness.
In a competitive setting in Smash Ultimate, a person like you who's going ":mjlol: This isn't a fighting game :dead:." isn't going to do anything to someone who's skilled in the game just like in any other competitive arena. If the game truly had no skill barrier for competitive play, you'd see newbies and those like you randomly winning against high level players. Heck, there wouldn't be any "high levels" to speak of.

There's really no need to be disingenuous about it honestly. It's a ignorant hot take espoused online by people that 10 times out of 10 are ignorant to Smash and really aren't good at it.
Being good at something has nothing to do with its categorization.

"D&D should be at Evo"

"Its not a fighting game"

"Oh yeah try to play then, any D&D player will smoke you!"

:jagfan:

Irrelevant.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You know nothing you scrub. Enjoy your stank, homo, pedo laden game, b.
Enjoy being around unkempt men who's good with sticks because you think it's masculine, b.

you can't even employ a thoughtful discussion so you resort to juvenile insults and other lame ad hominems. You nikkas are the absolute worst. Either agree or "umad" "u a bytch".

Its both. The game is not actually a fighting game, and the community is not the fgc community.
Being good at something has nothing to do with its categorization.

"D&D should be at Evo"

"Its not a fighting game"

"Oh yeah try to play then, any D&D player will smoke you!"

:jagfan:

Irrelevant.

Who the fukk said anything about the skill level having to do with it's categorization? You Coli nikkas have the WORST fukking arguments god fukking damn.

I already established it's a fighting game by it's definition and me talking about skill level was in response to someone alleging it's at EVO not because of skill level. At least read and be fair and stop cherry picking an argument later down the thread.

A fighting game is a video game genre based around close combat between a limited amount of characters, in a stage in which the boundaries are fixed. The characters fight each others until they defeat their opponents or the time expires. The matches typically consist of several rounds, in a arena, with each character having different abilities but each is relatively viable to choose. Players must master techniques such as blocking, counter-attacking, and chaining attacks together into "combos". Starting in the early 1990s, most fighting games allowed the player to execute special attacks by performing specific input combinations. The fighting game genre is related to but distinct from beat 'em ups, which involve large numbers of enemies against the human player..
This period spawned dozens of other popular fighting games, including successful and long running franchises like Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros., Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Guilty Gear, Samurai Shodown, The King of Fighters, Virtua Fighter, Killer Instinct, Darkstalkers, Dead or Alive, SoulCalibur and Arcana Heart.

Just because something is different doesn't invalidate it. You guys sound like old racist white folks who claim rap isn't music.

If it isn't a fighting game, what is it? You can't say it is just a party game because any game that has local mp can be technically classified as a party game.

Halo is a party game ya'll
070413-F-5081R-029.JPG

Last edited: