Dexerto's top 100 games of all time

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
nikkas in the elden ring thread putting in 700 hours and calling it the goat then get mad when its listed as #1 :dead:

If a game rated a 97 that won the most GOTY awards ever can’t be number 1, what can?
:flabbynsick:But but but TMNT should at least be #2 above Elden Ring right?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why do those old dusty games gotta be on every list?

The best way I can put is is this:

Imagine they made a list of the top 100 albums and Thriller is #84. Songs in the Key of Life is in the low 70’s. What’s going on doesn’t make the list at all. Taylor Swift gets the #1 spot. To me a list like that just reeks of clout chasing and a lack of respect for the history of the medium.

To be fair, older games had their faults—I don’t miss limited continues or inputting passwords for example.

But there’s a lot that new games can learn from the older generation of game developers in terms of trimming the fat and getting straight to the point:

• I’m tired of games that try too hard to be movies instead of having engaging level design, puzzles, fun game mechanics, etc.

• I’m tired of holding the up button and walking through an empty field for 10 minutes every time I want to see the next part of the game.

• I’m tired of tutorials that take hours just to get to the good stuff.

• I’m tired of people acting like every game has to have 1000 hours of content to be worth playing. Sometimes it’s fun to be able to play through a game like Super Metroid over a weekend.

Why would I want to deal with any of this bloat or filler when I could be playing a game like Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger, or Streets of Rage that gets straight to the point?

Not saying that every recent game does the above, or that saying Ocarina of Time needs to be #1 again, but dismissing pre-2000 games as “old and dusty” is a disrespectful and an overgeneralization IMO.

Last edited:

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Problem is too many folks that these lists too seriously. “Best games” is always personal preference and lists like this are simply discussion pieces.

You can’t get mad at a 18 year old leaving Halo 1 off their list.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The best way I can put is is this:

Imagine they made a list of the top 100 albums and Thriller is #84. Songs in the Key of Life is in the low 70’s. What’s going on doesn’t make the list at all. Taylor Swift gets the #1 spot. To me a list like that just reeks of clout chasing and a lack of respect for the history of the medium.

To be fair, older games had their faults—I don’t miss limited continues or inputting passwords for example.

But there’s a lot that new games can learn from the older generation of game developers in terms of trimming the fat and getting straight to the point:

• I’m tired of games that try too hard to be movies instead of having engaging level design, puzzles, fun game mechanics, etc.

• I’m tired of holding the up button and walking through an empty field for 10 minutes every time I want to see the next part of the game.

• I’m tired of tutorials that take hours just to get to the good stuff.

• I’m tired of people acting like every game has to have 1000 hours of content to be worth playing. Sometimes it’s fun to be able to play through a game like Super Metroid over a weekend.

Why would I want to deal with any of this bloat or filler when I could be playing a game like Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger, or Streets of Rage that gets straight to the point?

Not saying that every recent game does the above, or that saying Ocarina of Time needs to be #1 again, but dismissing pre-2000 games as “old and dusty” is a disrespectful and an overgeneralization IMO.

Music and movies don’t really have an interactive element to it, which greatly changes the dynamic of how people enjoy them. Old games FEEL like older games, a person thats 23 ain’t gonna appreciate Gran Turismo 2 like someone thats 43.

Thats just how it goes

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Music and movies don’t really have an interactive element to it, which greatly changes the dynamic of how people enjoy them. Old games FEEL like older games, a person thats 23 ain’t gonna appreciate Gran Turismo 2 like someone thats 43.

Thats just how it goes

I think a lot of that also depends on when you started gaming.

N64 and PS1 games are definitely feeling their age today (except for a handful of obvious GOATs like Mario 64).

… but most SNES and Genesis games hold up shockingly well even in modern times. Super Metroid is still a banger :wow:

IMO the 16-bit era perfected what the 8-bit era started, while the PS2/GameCube/Xbox era perfected what the N64/PS1 started.

Some of these 18 year olds are gonna get older and realize they slept HARD on Squaresoft’s SNES/PS1 golden age.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think a lot of that also depends on when you started gaming.

N64 and PS1 games are definitely feeling their age today (except for a handful of obvious GOATs like Mario 64).

… but most SNES and Genesis games hold up shockingly well even in modern times. Super Metroid is still a banger :wow:

IMO the 16-bit era perfected what the 8-bit era started, while the PS2/GameCube/Xbox era perfected what the N64/PS1 started.

Some of these 18 year olds are gonna get older and realize they slept HARD on Squaresoft’s SNES/PS1 golden age.

16 bit era games for people in their 20’s today are like Atari games for people in their 30’s

I for damn sure wasn’t listing pitfall and pong in my top 20

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
There’s nothing wrong with recognizing and rewarding old games. For their innovation and influence but that shouldn’t automatically. Give them top building on these lists. Like are people really mad that Elden Ring is ranked higher than OOT.

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
final-fantasy_6-ff6.gif

:mjcry:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Probably the worst list I've ever seen of all-time.
Beats out the:
Worst music list.
Worst movies list.
Worst rappers list.
etc.

2020-2023 has almost as many games from the 90's.

46/100 games are from the 2010's and only 15 were before 2014.

So they got ~32 something games from maybe the most mid-era of gaming :mjlol:

Both contrarian and clout chasing at the same time. Outright the worst list, not only for gaming, that I've ever seen of all-time. Horrible.

Last edited: