Fences (Official Thread)

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
This movie was intense as hell. :mjcry:

Denzel and Viola best clean up at the awards oscars

Looks like Denzel is getting snubbed left and right, and that cac Casey Affleck is going to win for Manchester of the Sea (or whatever the fukk it's called). I don't get it. This film should be cleaning up at the awards ceremonies AND the box office.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Looks like Denzel is getting snubbed left and right, and that cac Casey Affleck is going to win for Manchester of the Sea (or whatever the fukk it's called). I don't get it. This film should be cleaning up at the awards ceremonies AND the box office.
It's doing pretty well at the box office, all things considered. It's made more than Manchester.

Daps
Viola and Denzel.

Phenomenal.

If you're black and from the USA...I really don't get how this movie could bore you.

Cause the whole fukking movie took place in the backyard and was stereotypical and easily predictable. Hidden figures shyts all over this movie (love that movie).

SN: I hope both movies win Oscars. The acting was superb. #Blackexcellence

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Cause the whole fukking movie took place in the backyard and was stereotypical and easily predictable. Hidden figures shyts all over this movie (love that movie).
It really doesn't. The acting and writing on Fences is many levels above anything in Hidden Figures.

And it's funny how you accuse Fences of being stereotypical and predictable when that is exactly what Hidden Figures was.

Daps
It really doesn't. The acting and writing on Fences is many levels above anything in Hidden Figures.

And it's funny how you accuse Fences of being stereotypical and predictable when that is exactly what Hidden Figures was.
How? One bashes black men and creates the stereotype that we're all cheaters that verbally abuse our women who carry us around like dead weight and we treat them like shyt while another uproots the black community in general and talks about something in history that was hidden from us. How is intelligent black ppl that are highly advanced in science and math stereotypical or predictable when Tyler Perry and that gay dude that did empire/precious make tons of movies like fences but with d-classed rate acting?

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Decent movie...not enough of a storyline though. Could have delve deeper into a lot of shyt...like Troys story....people said it was a sad movie. I thought it was just okay...a shiitty husband father..brother died and his family mourned.....

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
How is intelligent black ppl that are highly advanced in science and math stereotypical or predictable when Tyler Perry and that gay dude that did empire/precious make tons of movies like fences but with d-classed rate acting?
'

Not to mention that at least two of them were in loving marriages with black men who supported them. (I don't remember if Octavia Jackson had a husband or not - I remember she had sons.) But you know how some brehs just hate anything that uplifts black women, period.

If you're black and from the USA...I really don't get how this movie could bore you.

As a teacher, I can tell you that the complete disconnect between so many of our black youth from our black community/culture is absolutely frightening. My first lesson on slavery during my practicum had black children (5th grade) who were so ignorant that TO THIS DAY, I am convinced that they were pulling a prank on me. There is just no way that THAT many black children could be THAT fukking dumb. You know one of them asked me how did slaves go to the bathroom on the slave ship? Really, kid? REALLY??? I wanted to find her parents and kick both of their asses.

Last edited:

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
How? One bashes black men and creates the stereotype that we're all cheaters that verbally abuse our women who carry us around like dead weight and we treat them like shyt while another uproots the black community in general and talks about something in history that was hidden from us. How is intelligent black ppl that are highly advanced in science and math stereotypical or predictable when Tyler Perry and that gay dude that did empire/precious make tons of movies like fences but with d-classed rate acting?

Either you didn't watch the movie or you zoned out and glossed over parts.

At no point in the movie did he verbally abuse Rose, she is the only one who keeps him in line. And she definitely did not carry him... Troy' isn't even the type of person to allow her to carry him, he has too much pride for that and makes it a point numerous times by reminding his son who's house, food, etc he provides to.

What has Lee Daniels made that is similar?. Shadowerboxer, The Paperboy, Precious, The Butler are not even close to being like Fences.

Last edited:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
The film was technically brilliant. Viola stood toe to toe with the goat and didn't give an inch. She's a beautiful woman(minus the wigs). Everybody in the film was A-1 tho. Just saw it yesterday and the theater was relatively full too which was surprising. We ended sitting behind 2 sets of elderly white couples They were the only ones who never gave an outward reaction to something in the movie.:heh: