Fences (Official Thread)

Max.

Banned
WOAT
Daps
"
Watched it last night & it honestly wasn't what I was expecting. I was super hyped to see it, but found it pretty boring. The film began going downhill when Denzel started doing his wife dirty. It was just a really depressing movie"

"Saw it 2nite.

Its a very well acted movie but boring at same time.

The entire 2hr film takes place in their backyard.

Budget musta been cheap as hell. Nothing i needa see twice"

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Instant Classic. Damn man Denzel and Viola why ya'll have to shut sh!t down like this? Why ya'll have to act circles around EVERYONE in the field. If they don't win every award then I don't want to hear anything else again. I see they are trying to put Viola in Supporting when clearly she gave a "Best Actress" performance. But God Forbid a Black Woman win Best Actress. There's only been one in the entire history. This isn't about acceptance or validation but about getting what's due. Denzel has been robbed in the past and Viola as also been nominated many times. Yes Denzel got two but he only has 1 Best Actor. It's time for him to have 3 because he's one of the GOATS period. Affleck is not a better actor than Denzel, not even close.

Brilliant movie man, captured the Black Struggle flawlessly. Now am I mad at Troy fukkery? Honestly he was flawed clearly but he was more a victim of circumstance (White Supremacy) than him being a horrible person. Mykelti Williamson killed it. I know people will say, (Well this is too close to Bubba Gump). True but he still did great in the performance regardless. Denzel took 3 locations an turned this into an amazing drama. It's not easy converting a Play into a Screenplay just like it's not easy converting Book into a Screenplay. Overall I give it 5/5 A Grade. Best directed film of Denzel's career even though "Antwone Fisher" and "Great debaters" was good. RIP August Wilson, amazing writer.

27fences_CA1-articleInline.jpg

"Fences is the #1 Black Drama of the Year at the Box Office"

#1 Fences - 40 Million
#2 Hidden Figures - 24 Million
#3 Birth of a Nation - 16 Million
#4 Moonlight - 13 Million
#5 Loving - 7 Million

And it's made just as much as "Lala Land" and more than "Machester by the Sea".

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This is basically a straight transfer of the stage play to the screen so the limited settings and the mountains of dialog didn't get changed to make it more big screen friendly.
If you are a fan of brilliant writing and great acting then it will work for you but if you are someone who needs action or bells and whistles in your movie viewing than this is so not the film for you.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Instant Classic. Damn man Denzel and Viola why ya'll have to shut sh!t down like this? Why ya'll have to act circles around EVERYONE in the field. If they don't win every award then I don't want to hear anything else again. I see they are trying to put Viola in Supporting when clearly she gave a "Best Actress" performance. But God Forbid a Black Woman win Best Actress. There's only been one in the entire history. This isn't about acceptance or validation but about getting what's due. Denzel has been robbed in the past and Viola as also been nominated many times. Yes Denzel got two but he only has 1 Best Actor. It's time for him to have 3 because he's one of the GOATS period. Affleck is not a better actor than Denzel, not even close.

Brilliant movie man, captured the Black Struggle flawlessly. Now am I mad at Troy fukkery? Honestly he was flawed clearly but he was more a victim of circumstance (White Supremacy) than him being a horrible person. Mykelti Williamson killed it. I know people will say, (Well this is too close to Bubba Gump). True but he still did great in the performance regardless. Denzel took 3 locations an turned this into an amazing drama. It's not easy converting a Play into a Screenplay just like it's not easy converting Book into a Screenplay. Overall I give it 5/5 A Grade. Best directed film of Denzel's career even though "Antwone Fisher" and "Great debaters" was good. RIP August Wilson, amazing writer.

27fences_CA1-articleInline.jpg

"Fences is the #1 Black Drama of the Year at the Box Office"

#1 Fences - 40 Million
#2 Hidden Figures - 24 Million
#3 Birth of a Nation - 16 Million
#4 Moonlight - 13 Million
#5 Loving - 7 Million

And it's made just as much as "Lala Land" and more than "Machester by the Sea".

I'm glad it's doing well for diversity sake breh but these are unfair comparisons.

La La Land made $40 million on just 750 theaters :whoo: :whew: (Fences is fully wide-2300+) It expanded last weekend and will expand again next week.

Moonlight was in even less than that.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great movie, don't think a film has had such an effect on me in a very long time. That scene in the bar with Troy and Bono was one of my favourite scenes but the whole movie was incredible

that scene was so simple, yet so powerful....it showed how much troy had let his bitterness and all his shyt, fukk up relationships in his life, even pushed his ace Bono away.....

also, denzel showed how great he is again...had you feeling sorry for troy during that scene, despite all the fukk shyt he did....

DrHackenbush

Happy wars/sad love songs
Daps
that scene was so simple, yet so powerful....it showed how much troy had let his bitterness and all his shyt, fukk up relationships in his life, even pushed his ace Bono away.....

also, denzel showed how great he is again...had you feeling sorry for troy during that scene, despite all the fukk shyt he did....

Yeah its a powerful scene, more about whats not said than whats said..Bono looked at him like I tried to tell you muthafukka :rudy:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It's a wrap guys, Denzel and Viola got Hollywood by the balls. Denzel has won twice off Five Nominations and Viola has 2 nominations without a win. They about to clean up with this. I still want "Birth of a Nation" to atleast get some nominations but this movie is the one Oscar voters will go for clearly. As someone posted, the early reviews are already huge. People are completely showering this movie already off press and critic screenings.

Denzel+Washington+Viola+Davis+64th+Annual+ZA5dMq9Voevl.jpg

Denzel Washington, Viola Davis Become Instant Oscar Frontrunners in ‘Fences’

Tony - Check
Golden Globe ?
SAG ?
Oscar ?

C1sakHkVEAEaAOs.jpg

giphy.gif