Fences (Official Thread)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Saw it today and while it is amazingly written and acted, I can't get past the fact it's so limited by its stage play execution. Some folks might not mind it but a film is not a play and outside of some sparse occasions, Denzel never bothered to use the difference in mediums to his advantage. The result is a very dry adaptation that only works because the material at hand is so unfukkwithable.

CapitalOne

Do You Believe...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
C5prmNDWMAAnoCm.jpg:large

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
images

landscape-1488213676-elle-viola-davis-oscar.jpg

The Oscars was a disaster as usual. The Bias is beyond terrible and not acceptable at this point. "Fences" IMO, should of swept all 4 awards. It was got just as good reviews as "Moonlight" and did better at the box office. "Moonlight" was not a better film than "Fences" or "Birth of a Nation". So it took home 3, good for it and it's cool to see an Independent film do well but like I said it's not better than those films. The reality is "Fences", "Birth of a Nation" and yes even "Hidden Figures" hit White Supremacy too hard which is why they were shut out. "Moonlight" definitely was not a better written screenplay "Fences" with the Legendary August Wilson on it. But of course the Oscars couldn't give the sweep because that would mean they that Denzel would have won 2 Oscars that night. Don't get me started on Casey Affleck. They shut Nate Parker down for a 20 year old charge he was innocent of. They completely shut him out of award season outside of NAACP and DGA nominations. Yet Casey gets to walk through awards season unscathed? With multiple assault charges?

Casey Affleck did not give a better performance than Denzel in any stretch of the imagination. Casey Affleck is a case of White Privileged and having a Hollywood family with big connections. Once again saying as long as your White you can get all the chances you want. If Nate was shutout, Casey should of been shutout but of course that didn't happen. So in the end we can't even say the problem was solved because the Academy still showed there true colors to me. They give the OJ movie Documentary the Oscar to highlight the OJ case when it should of gone to "13th" To highlight Black People's decades of unjust treatment in the Justice and Prison system. Plus they owed Ava for her shutout from "Selma" a few years ago. Even though Queen Viola won, we all know she should of still been in the BEST ACTRESS category period. But they put her in the supporting because even her own studio knew how bias the system was and they would of given it to Emma over her. Viola and Denzel literally won the Oscars based off the damn trailer. They acted in longer screen-time than all the other nominees and dropped two of the best performances of this century.

Also save the B.S. Best Picture "Mistake". "Moonlight" can't even celebrate it's Best Picture because all the talk is still about "La La Land" and the f*ck up. They even made sure the "La La Land" people got there speeches in too. I'm sorry but I'm skeptical about the whole thing. I felt yes there's a possibility it was done purposely to undermine the fact Black People were going to win Best Picture. You can say I don't have evidence of that but I can say I have history of Black People getting constantly done dirty by the Oscars for decades. I think I'll go with history. "La La Land" got all the big nominations so the academy felt trapped. They wanted "La La Land" to win but they knew the controversy because of last year. So they pulled this B.S. Oh yeah. If "Fences" won Best Picture, Denzel was the producer, he would of won the Oscar. Again the whole thing was a mess. 89 Years of Oscars and a Black Person has still never won Best Director. They did Denzel so dirty but it doesn't matter. Casey Affleck will never be in a class of Denzel Washington. They did not want Denzel to have 4 Oscars so they played him. "Fences" will be Classic Status so it's all good it still won a ton of awards. Denzel you Legend, everyone around the world knows that was your award. Viola, keep going.

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Saw the play a few years ago and just saw the movie yesterday.

The Gabe and Troy combo :bryan: and when they added Rose in.

Typical convo.

Denzel: I ran the marathon...I ran it Gabe!! :what: nikka I ran it!! I got off work, caught a taxi there and ran it, and did it under two hours
Gabe: :rudy: Bullshyt, you ain't run no marathon
Denzel: I ran the damn thing Gabe....ask Rose, she'll tell you, shyt she was there
Rose: :usure: He ain't run no damn marathon
Gabe: :mjlol:
Denzel: :pachaha: she ain't lying

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Movie was amazing.. Everybody in it bodied their roles x1000

-the whole time I'm watching Denzel run his mouth in this I was thinking to myself do I know someone in real life that can't shut the fukk up like this nicca:scusthov:

Last edited: