Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Denzel+Washington+Viola+Davis+64th+Annual+ZA5dMq9Voevl.jpg

Denzel Washington, Viola Davis Become Instant Oscar Frontrunners in ‘Fences’

Tony - Check
Golden Globe - Check (They did Denzel dirty but it's all good, he's got 2 already plus a Lifetime Achievement Globe)
SAG - Check (That's Right!)
Oscar ?

SMH @ This being Denzel's first SAG, they should be ashamed, this is long over due. Sorry Casey, Denzel comin for that Oscar. Viola wins her 5th SAG win.

Screen Actors Guild Awards

1999 The Hurricane Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role Nominated
2001 Training Day Nominated
2007 American Gangster Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture Nominated
2012 Flight Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role Nominated
2016 Fences Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role Won
2016 Fences Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture Nominated

3500.jpg

3280.jpg

:myman:

tumblr_ndgvurfIpt1sij2pio1_500.gif

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Really liked this...I have seen at least one August Wilson play, ('Two Trains Running' Uncle Phil was in it, too) and his writing is incredible, so fluid and visceral, cutting and cruel, poetry flows from the mouths of the working class, reflecting all their anger, rage, bitterness, happiness, regret, soul, the very essence of their being. Incredible writing and dialouge, and performances. Loved all the leads and supporting, Mylketii Williams was unrecognizable to me, the right touches of humor and humanity in his performance......Now this is acting fro Denzel. There's more then a drop of Alozno Harris in the performance, as his speeches and passion are often covering up, thing's he'd rather not say.

It was so powerful to see Denzel play such a broken, but strong, deeply flawed man, who, even though the movie kind of reverses this by the end, is essentially an alcoholic, a loser, and a very bitter, damaged man. He, as we all, are products of an environment, and you see the scars on Troy Maxson, as he inhales the gin, and tells a story of his coming of age. But, that doesn't forgive, his cruelty, selfishness, and undermining nature to both his son and wife. Those scenes cut deep for me, with Cory, as I felt the same way about my Dad, no love, no real connection.

I loved what the play said about race, class, marriage, and men and women in relationships, it says so much, with such a simple story, it's really brilliant. The ways people sacrifice their dreams, their aspirations, for another, and realize they have sold themselves out. The anger, confusion, hopelessnes of the working class, and men who knows their glory days are long behind them, setting into the gin and their old ways. Also, I have many friends who remind me of Troy, in relation to how he treats women, even as he claims to love them. His controlling, archaic views of marriage and fatherhood, his grandstanding and objectification of Rose, my homies do that same thing, esp when drunk. 'I'm going to marry this girl....right babe? (Kisses and claws in front of everyone)

I thought his direction overreached in the last few moments, and went a little sappy, but overall, loved the movie. Would love to see the play.

* A few times Denzel had me laughing pretty hard, esp. when he KEPT with the baseball metaphors, way past the point of exhaustion. Or when he kept trying to Juelz Santana spin his way out of it with Rose.

Last edited:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
I said in another thread...critics don't matter.

But now you see people framing this like it's a shock.(which I guess it is if you care bout critics)

I wonder where the rest of the academy stands:jbhmm:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

The ether was tremendous. Denzel is getting to much love. 3rd Oscar will cement him with the GOATS (Even though he;s already with them). I love the Viggo hug who's actually underrated himself as an actor. "Crimson Tide" is a Classic Movie and Denzel killed it and went toe to toe with Gene Hackman.

betray-o.gif

220px-Crimson_tide_movie_poster.jpg

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SMH @ This being Denzel's first SAG, they should be ashamed, this is long over due. Sorry Casey, Denzel comin for that Oscar. Viola wins her 5th SAG win.

Screen Actors Guild Awards

1999 The Hurricane Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role Nominated
2001 Training Day Nominated
2007 American Gangster Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture Nominated
2012 Flight Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role Nominated
2016 Fences Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role Won
2016 Fences Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture Nominated

3500.jpg

3280.jpg

:myman:

tumblr_ndgvurfIpt1sij2pio1_500.gif

let me get this straight: he won a tony and a sag, but no golden globe? get the fukk outta here...that's some bullshyt....he and viola showing people how this acting thing done, and they just dont wanna let them shine...wouldnt surprise me if they pulled another dirty move and didnt give him the oscar....