Fences (Official Thread)

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I hope people don't get too caught up in how "the movie never transcends it's stage play roots"

And the truth is, it's not supposed to. The film is trying to repackage an amazing play for the masses. It's not about transcending anything.

Nah, film and stage are different mediums. Simply repackaging the art doesn't work. Denzel tried to do more with it, to make it more cinematic, I just don't think most of those choices worked.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Movie is Best Picture status. Without a doubt.

On one hand fukk Troy. However, on the other hand you felt that he wasn't a bad or good man. He was a human being with some flaws. He did Rose and his son dirty but at the same time, at least regarding his son, a lot of it came from being a man in a society that constantly makes you feel less than as a black man and you could see he was struggling to maintain his pride and self-respect as a man by the way he tried to rise his younger son. He knows this world isn't shyt and he tried to teach his son the same, he just went about it the wrong way as it relates to his football career.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Going to see this tonight :takedat:

Every 30 fukking seconds, the women in my family loved to remind me about how my stepfather didn't have to do things for me like...y'know...pay bills n'shyt. Like *I* was supposed to be sucking his dikk right next to Ma Dukes. Finally, I just lost it, Corey style. I mean, I fukking LOST it. Yes, he DOES have to take care of me. He DOES have to feed me. He DOES have to keep a roof over my head b/c that's what he signed up to do when he married a woman with a child. You hear that shyt for 15 years and it just wears down on your soul.

On the flip side, I've had to explain to many an exhausted black parent that you are not going to get the ticker-tape parade you're expecting from your child for going out and busting your ass for crackers, so stop expecting one. Nobody is disrespecting you by not making up a damn bed

You're right, but :picard:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
damn good movie....the acting was tremendous and the story hit close as hell to home....everyone did their thing from denzel down to the lil girl....i'm not into the awards shyt, but i know this movie better win something....

side note: i gotta see jackie now, cause if portman acting was better than viola's in this, that's a hell of a fukking performance worth seeing...

viola is in the supporting actress category.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
viola is in the supporting actress category.

i know, and i've expressed my thoughts in here as to why i think it's bullshyt....anyway, the reason i brought up portman and jackie is cause people talk like her performance just that damn good, that it's a guarantee for her and the lead actress....i just wanna compare it to viola's.....

mr x

Superstar
Daps
i know, and i've expressed my thoughts in here as to why i think it's bullshyt....anyway, the reason i brought up portman and jackie is cause people talk like her performance just that damn good, that it's a guarantee for her and the lead actress....i just wanna compare it to viola's.....

gotcha

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:wow: just took my family to watch this movie

But the movie is really one sided and shows some strong bitterness

i think that was the point...denzel portrayed troy, more specifically his bitterness, as the antagonist of the film....while being his driving force, his bitterness towards the world was overwhelming everything/body else, but he was purposely blinded to it/didnt want to see, acknowledge it.......

prime example: he never told his oldest why he wasnt there to help raise him, he just rode his ass about how he acted, what he became, always coming to borrow money, etc....and his oldest just thought he skipped out on him & his momma, that's why he he came at troy on some 'if you cared about how i was raised, you shouldve been there' shyt....it wasnt until troy told the story in passing about going to prison and that being the reason why he wasnt there, that his son started to look at him differently...but even then, troy didnt give a fukk and still let his bitterness drive him to verbally treat him like shyt, and not take him up on the offer to try to patch up their relationship

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
i think that was the point...denzel portrayed troy, more specifically his bitterness, as the antagonist of the film....while being his driving force, his bitterness towards the world was overwhelming everything/body else, but he was purposely blinded to it/didnt want to see, acknowledge it.......

prime example: he never told his oldest why he wasnt there to help raise him, he just rode his ass about how he acted, what he became, always coming to borrow money, etc....and his oldest just thought he skipped out on him & his momma, that's why he he came at troy on some 'if you cared about how i was raised, you shouldve been there' shyt....it wasnt until troy told the story in passing about going to prison and that being the reason why he wasnt there, that his son started to look at him differently...but even then, troy didnt give a fukk and still let his bitterness drive him to verbally treat him like shyt, and not take him up on the offer to try to patch up their relationship

Yeah I thought it was interesting Troy never went to go see the oldest son play. The movie is all about Troy. I would have loved to see more of Viola's way of handling things and her feelings.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Not one bad performance in this movie, but Mykelti Williamson stood out to me. Even Alberta was great and we didn't even see her :mjcry:

Everything felt real. The way Troy's past kept creeping out and being revealed from scene to scene was great. Everybody was tired of his shyt :mjlol:

The only part that didn't measure up was literally the last few seconds of the movie, but this is still a 10 to me. Going to see it again later in the week :myman:

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Literally just finished watching this....BLOWN AWAY brehs, my gawd denzel and viola showing the world how this acting shyt is done :wow:....only denzel can make u feel icky just knowing this person on screen but u cant do nothing but clap at the end because he just kills the role so much. Viola is the best actress out right now from a pure acting standpoint. She goes from being an emotionless cutthroat like waller to a woman u cant help but sympathize for with all your heart because of how hard she's trying for this bum of a man. I dont think i've ever seen the dude that played bono before but i thought even he was amazing in the film. The shyt was just great. Movies like this where you're just watching people live their lives is hard to make very good and not have a moment of boredom but this shyt was it for me. The final 2min was cheesetastic i must admit but it didnt bother me in the least bit but i know it will for some ppl especially since it definitely tried to sway your feelings but that shyt aint work lol....unlike a lot of heavy dramas i can see myself seeing this multiple times which is super rare for me

STEVE

MIami Beach on the check-in.
Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, FL
Saw this on Monday. Great movie. August Wilson's dialogue and all the performances stood out the most. It was really neat seeing shots of the street and the Strip in addition to the neighborhood being the racially-mixed 1950's Hill District you always hear about but never lived through. Theater was PACKED. First time at a big theater in years. Definitely had some :mjcry: moments but I am a softy. Would definitely like to see more AW plays after this. Too bad the August Wilson Center was run so poorly. It would be awesome to see a production of something Downtown.