Fences (Official Thread)

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Damn saw a trailer before a vid on youtube, this shyt looks like the type of movie that gets grown men having allergies/cutting up onions in the theater :dame::mjcry:

tater

Superstar
Daps
I thought it was a good movie. I saw the play first, and Troy's character was one I really took a disliking to. Denzel made him a bit more multidimensional and relatable. He brought life to the character because one I first saw the play, he seemed unredeemable. Viola's performance was great as well. I felt so hurt for her and could feel the hopelessness esp. when she went to visit him at work.

I guess as a modern woman it's hard for me to envision myself staying in that situation and even mothering his outside child. But knowing that she didn't have many options and she loved Troy so much obviously contributed to her staying. It would be so difficult to stay with such a negative man who is constantly burdening you with his failures and IMO stifling your child's growth. I only say that because I don't know what it takes to be a black man in America. I really feel like he should have been afforded the opportunity to go to school and play football. This would have been a MAJOR contention point with me. Maybe even on the same plane as the baby. But things were different back then. I think Viola's character was the epitome of the strong black woman. Carrying the weight of her hopes, dreams, and failures and those of her husbands on her back. Troy did do the best he could with what he had though and he took care of his family. I think his lack of a father figure really pushed him to treat Corey the way he did. I also think Corey was a bit soft. Maybe it was the portrayal of the character by the actor. He was maybe the one character I thought could have been cast better. I wasn't necessarily moved by his performance. Ultimately, I think Troy couldn't see himself and pushed Corey to be what he was, even the negative aspects. This was essentially the same thing Rose said in the end. Very good movie after I had more time to think about it.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
My parents went to see it yesterday (it was their 28th anniversary). Mom said the crowd was about average for a Wednesday afternoon, all black, and that they were talking and yelling at the screen like they were at home. Mom said my dad was HEATED during that Troy/Rose showdown. She said that he couldn't stand Troy to begin with (which really surprised me - I thought he'd be sympathetic), and when the big showdown finally happened, he was like "AW, HELL NAW!" and my mom had to jerk him back in his seat.

My dad told my mom that he always thought his mother was a doormat to his father, and it took this film for him to realize how misguided his feelings were. Since Dad couldn't do jack to his father (not that he came around much anyway, even though they were married - he supported them financially, but was out in the street 24/7), he channeled those ill feelings to his mother, not realizing that she had absolutely no other options but to stay with him, especially for the sake of her children. We hear a lot of "I'd shovel shyt in the street before blah blah blah," but it's easy to say that in the 21st century with so many resources available to us. Rose was actually lucky that at best, her husband was a cold man. Think about how many years it took before marital rape became a crime, or worse. (Of course, all my dad told me was that he loved it and thanked me for raising such a fuss about dragging him to see it.)

Mom said the men in the audience (my dad included) kind of stood/sat around and talked for a bit while the women (herself included) were in the restroom. I'm telling you, what "For Colored Girls" is to black women, I really thing "Fences" is going to be to black men. Representation is so important. We need more and more of this.

Mr. 1nighter

On my grown man steeze
Daps
Reppin
Columbus
6c9d92c01f7b3268c25c6bd531d9f949.350x350x1.jpg
Sweat looking like Brian pumper

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
damn good movie....the acting was tremendous and the story hit close as hell to home....everyone did their thing from denzel down to the lil girl....i'm not into the awards shyt, but i know this movie better win something....

side note: i gotta see jackie now, cause if portman acting was better than viola's in this, that's a hell of a fukking performance worth seeing...

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
I hope Cory still ended up not going to the funeral:mjpls: fukk Troy:pacspit:

That fight scene got me tight too, how this nikka a football player in his physical prime getting pushed around by an old drunk flabby man, that old man strength must not be a joke:whew:

Denzels acting blew me away tho, all time great performance:wow:

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That movie great. I won't give it classic status but it could've been. If I run across somebody who never seen it I'd watch it again with them :myman:

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Just got back to seeing this with my wife and the in laws really enjoyed it, good acting all around.
Viola Davis just shot up my favorite actress list, might have to check out her TV show.
Denzel was great as well.
4/5 fireballs

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
denzel and viola were great:wow:

troy was out there bullshytting her on why he had to go out and look for happiness and to keep a piece of himself, how he wasnt satisfied with his day to day and she was like what about me:gucci: I wasn't stuck in that rut right with you? and now you want me to take in your out of wedlock child?:wtb:

felt bad that he couldn't find a common ground with corey to let him know how much he loved him. he was trying to teach hard good lessons but when corey came out and straight up said to him, "do you even like me?" he still couldn't let that barrier down and tell his son how he felt.

Last edited:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
I hope people don't get too caught up in how "the movie never transcends it's stage play roots"

And the truth is, it's not supposed to. The film is trying to repackage an amazing play for the masses. It's not about transcending anything.

I couldn't believe that fluent the dialogue was. For black people who have family cookouts/BBq's, you can't tell me they didn't land that experience right on the money.

When Viola chewed out Troy, she really showed her range and how amazing of an actress she is.

It's crazy how we expect greatness of Denzel no matter what, But somehow he just gets better and better. Better with time, every time.