Fences (Official Thread)

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
outstanding movie.

They've done an excellent job of grasping the characteristics of working class black families back then--a lot of drinking, tall tails, metaphors embedded in truth, life long disappointment with never ending hope all used as a coping mechanism.

Denzels' behavior and character are definitely relateable to me...A lot of what went on with Denzel in the movie are things many of my male relatives were like in those times. I think just about every story that he told in that movie I have heard about a relative of my own back then.

Strictly from a Denzel performance POV...it may be top 3 ...the only movie I can say that may be ahead of it is Malcolm X

My advice...go see this movie.

Last edited:

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
Just got done seeing this movie, just pure excellence throughout.

One of the only times I've ever walked out of a theater with a feeling that I truly knew these characters probably because they remind me a lot of my family.

I don't know what awards this film will get although I find it hard to believe that any other will resonate with me like this did.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Who is fukking with Denzel Hayes Washington Jr.? :wow:

6c9d92c01f7b3268c25c6bd531d9f949.350x350x1.jpg

A-Train

Express.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm a bit surprised at the budget:
Fences (2016) - Box Office Mojo

Saw it during screening before release. Hope it makes its money back
Wow. I'm surprised at that too. How the hell did it require a bigger budget than Hell or High Water?

Denzel was great as always, another top notch performance from him. Viola was good but I hope she isnt in the leading talks any longer. Portman was just too damn good in Jackie.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Saw it last night. I love Viola Davis, she can do no wrong. Wish I could see the stage play.