Fences (Official Thread)

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is why feminism is good to a degree. Black women didn't have rights or freedoms. Even when many worked, it was mainly dead-end jobs like a maid for low pay and only few was self made like C.J. Walker

@Daisy Fitzroy is on point
I so agree. I'm glad there are more options now. No one should put up with that.
Oh, absolutely. Troy had me HEATED!!! But...

my great-grandma was the very same situation and I didn't even know this until yesterday. My grandmother's older brother was not my GGM's first child. I knew that, but I never knew until yesterday that he was raised in that house as more of a "Nan, you got a kid to raise" kind of way, not in a "Nan, let's decide together that we're going to raise this son of mine" kind of way. My GGM's first child wasn't even her own child. This story was literally my grandmother's life and I had no idea. All four of their kids (my grandmother and her three brothers) will tell you that they were married for 52 years, which was about 50 years too long. Gran just had no other options at all.

If you think about it, that's pretty close to being true right now. It's the reason why so many abused women can't and won't leave their attackers. Women like my mother had far more options when she left my biological father. She had a good government job, an extended family and just one child. Now, take a woman with, say, two kids, and a regular 9-5 with minimum benefits and a high school education, and you can see why it's more financially stable to stay. Not to mention that men can do some seriously fukked up shyt to disrupt a woman's financial means even if she DOES leave. shyt, my mother had my father trying to fukk her life up financially and they were divorced!

Oooh, I was up in my feelings like Rose was MY mama. Like that review said (I'll have to find it), we could sympathize and ride w/him until Rose couldn't ride with him anymore. I know our theater kind of turned on him then. (Like I said, my theater was LIT. Yelling at the screen like Madea was about to pop out.) I can't even say that Troy was a bad husband, but he was so damn selfish. Which was why Rose's speech just wrecked me. When she broke it all down like she did, I was in tears - and I don't have a husband OR kids!

I so agree. I'm glad there are more options now. No one should put up with that.

I'm glad things have changed so much. I'd like to think we have evolved as a society since then imo.

Also,

This movie covered blackness and feminism really, really well, without one cutting the other out. You rarely see that. Only...birth of a nation had that kind power. Troy was so hypocritical too. Why call out your son when you have another baby.
I need to find me a place with this type of crowd, shyt sounds lit....:laugh:

Agreed! the audience was in it for sure!

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Not gonna lie, though. Troy was a real standup guy.

He fukked up but he owned all that shyt

I agree. You gotta take the crookeds with the straights, and he did that chit.

And on the real, as we saw, he didn't really have no parents to learn from (like a lot of niccas).

I think Rose got it at the end. He was trying to make Corey everything he wasn't and at the same time
trying to make Corey everything he was...which in my humble opinion is what every father tries to do for his son(s).

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I'm interested, brehs: were y'all Team Troy or Team Corey during that showdown?

shyt, the white man next to me was all in his feelings like he grew up w/a black stepfather or something. (Our crowd was racially mixed. Same at Hidden Figures, surprisingly.)

I was with Troy.

I would never DREAM of buckin' up to my Pop, and I wouldn't even to this day -
especially in his home. And Corey crossed the line talmbat how that became Troys' house because
that's irrelevant. And once he grabbed that bat, he had to go.

On the real, Corey was disrespectful of Troy the whole movie imo.

After the movie, I always stay and watch the credits. The man from the white family next to me saw I was the only one still seated
when everyone was leaving - he came back to me, extended his hand and asked "hey - are you alright?" lmao

whatthatthangsmelllike

W$GT$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach
Literally just got back from this movie the acting is:whew: only one thing I missed
when the pops died and Lyon was talking to Corey in the house what happen to the older brother Lyon I missed what he said what happen to him.

psiko

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Literally just got back from this movie the acting is:whew: only one thing I missed
when the pops died and Lyon was talking to Corey in the house what happen to the older brother Lyon I missed what he said what happen to him.
Got locked up for three years for writing/cashing bad checks. Had 9 months to go

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
liked this very much, well acted throughout. I'd say Cory was the weakest out of the bunch and him and lyon didn't really have much chemistry for them to be brothers

I liked the significance of the bar scene between Troy and Bono, to me the scene reflected a reoccurring idea every one kept tryna tell Troy but he kept ignoring. Things change and people change

Last edited:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
liked this very much, well acted throughout. I'd say Gabe was the weakest out of the bunch and him and lyon didn't really have much chemistry for them to be brothers

I liked the significance of the bar scene between Troy and Bono, to me the scene reflected a reoccurring idea every one kept tryna tell Troy but he kept ignoring. Things change and people change

Gabe and Lyon weren't brothers, doe.
And of course, Gabe ain't gonna have much chemistry with folks havin' a metal plate in his head...

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
you're right i was thinking of Cory

Oh.

Even then, they weren't supposed to have chemistry like that; they were half-brothers
and Lyon was twice his age. They rarely saw each other except when Lyon came over once a week
and they had nothing in common.

And of course Cory was weaker, he was a teenage boy.

That was the impression I got was that everybody was kinda disconnected, despite their close
proximity to each other...it's like they had "fences" up (see what I did?).

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Did anyone else have a few white people leave once Troy started
really fukking up? After he revealed his secret love child, 3 sets of white people walked out of my theatre:pachaha: what were they expecting? A Raisin in the Sun?:ufdup:

Naw, this is the city...a lot of these folk in here done done that same dirt. lol