Fences (Official Thread)

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
great film...all the actors did their thing.

I know of August Wilson but haven't seemed his material performed.

the dialogue was great and seemed real. Husbands to wife, father to sons, for better or worse. how situations can go to from joyous to argumentative in a second, or not even get started if some other words are spoken such as "excuse me", however maybe the final confrontation needed to be had. Different levels to this and Wilson's writing and the acting from the cast brought this out

I'll spoil some other thoughts....

Troy...man, when he told Rose about the baby. when he told bono that he couldn't shake the other woman because now hes in it forever. I said to myself he done had a baby :snoop: i think back to the beginning of the movie to bono bringing up buying the woman multiple drinks, he was trying to tell you've went to far. Troy then preceded not to listen and take it further.

when she took the baby and told him he was a woman-less man, that got an applause from the women in the audience lol

when Rose said she thought of other men, I thought Troy was gonna go off at that very moment. he was selfish/egotistical in a way he that he would equate his actions with her thoughts.

He grabbed when she said he took but never gave...he was wrong and should've gave her space to say what she wanted because it was his screw up, and the son acted accordingly when he came to her defense

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Definitely team Corey. That was the first time he stood up to his father, and Troy was acting ridiculous.

Yeah, but he was a complete prick about it. Ironically, he was as big a prick as his father was. I had a Troy Maxson as a father - a painful thing when you're a girl - and I was on the dad's side.

(mild spoiler here)

Pushing past somebody is rude to begin with. But pushing past somebody minding his own business IN HIS OWN HOUSE was plain disrespectful. Corey acted like the father was just sitting there waiting to pick a fight! He didn't owe it to his son to scoot over - just say "excuse me" and move on. Troy even gave him a couple of opportunities to correfct himself, no noooooo. Corey's no-bill-paying ass wanted to choose that moment to tell his daddy that he ain't shyt. fukk outta here. (Literally.)

But I think the problem was the casting of the son. Dude was soft as doctor's cotton, so he always came across as a whiny little bytch.

I'd like to hear more women's opinions on the relationship between VIola and Denzel in this movie...that shyt there was ROUGHHH

She had no other options. Rose was a housewife. No job, possibly no education, and nowhere else to go. She said herself that her family had a bunch of different moms and dads, so she couldn't leave.
No hope, no options and and no way out. But feminism destroyed the black family. Riiiiiiight.

One reviewer said it best:
Viola was our barometer for Troy. As long as she loved him and wanted to be with him, we rooted for Troy. But once she was done with him, so were we. What pissed me off was so how NONCHALANT he was about the shyt. "You ain't talked to me in six months!" MOTHERfukkER, IF YOU DON'T...

Last edited:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Yeah, but he was a complete prick about it. Ironically, he was as big a prick as his father was. I had a Troy Maxson as a father - a painful thing when you're a girl - and I was on the dad's side.

(mild spoiler here)

Pushing past somebody is rude to begin with. But pushing past somebody minding his own business IN HIS OWN HOUSE was plain disrespectful. Corey acted like the father was just sitting there waiting to pick a fight! He didn't owe it to his son to scoot over - just say "excuse me" and move on. Troy even gave him a couple of opportunities to correfct himself, no noooooo. Corey's no-bill-paying ass wanted to choose that moment to tell his daddy that he ain't shyt. fukk outta here. (Literally.)

But I think the problem was the casting of the son. Dude was soft as doctor's cotton, so he always came across as a whiny little bytch.

She had no other options. Rose was a housewife. No job, possibly no education, and nowhere else to go. She said herself that her family had a bunch of different moms and dads, so she couldn't leave.
No hope, no options and and no way out. But feminism destroyed the black family. Riiiiiiight.

One reviewer said it best:
Viola was our barometer for Troy. As long as she loved him and wanted to be with him, we rooted for Troy. But once she was done with him, so were we. What pissed me off was so how NONCHALANT he was about the shyt. "You ain't talked to me in six months!" MOTHERfukkER, IF YOU DON'T...
Not gonna lie, though. Troy was a real standup guy.

He fukked up but he owned all that shyt

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I read the play a few years ago for AP LIT in high school, it was amazing and the film is also great. I remember hating Troy then and I still hate him now but he's a great and complex character. Denzel did a great job at shifting Troy from protagonist to antagonist.

You think so? I think he made Troy a lot more sympathetic than he originally was. I'd say he was an antihero, not an antagonist, though he did antagonize the fukk out of Corey. For all his "it's my responsibility" preaching, we had to hear about it every 40 seconds! I wanted to pull a Chris Rock and scream "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS!!!!!"

Every 30 fukking seconds, the women in my family loved to remind me about how my stepfather didn't have to do things for me like...y'know...pay bills n'shyt. Like *I* was supposed to be sucking his dikk right next to Ma Dukes. Finally, I just lost it, Corey style. I mean, I fukking LOST it. Yes, he DOES have to take care of me. He DOES have to feed me. He DOES have to keep a roof over my head b/c that's what he signed up to do when he married a woman with a child. You hear that shyt for 15 years and it just wears down on your soul.

On the flip side, I've had to explain to many an exhausted black parent that you are not going to get the ticker-tape parade you're expecting from your child for going out and busting your ass for crackers, so stop expecting one. Nobody is disrespecting you by not making up a damn bed.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was good. If you were black, you should feel some type of way coming out of that movie. That's the type of acting most Oscars contenders should have. 9/10
What I didn't like though.
She should have left him. Why would you raise another woman's baby? Why stay with a cheater? Ridiculous imo

Great film. Go see it. I'm not usually a fan of "black pain" movies but this is something you can relate to, even now.

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
What I didn't like though.
She should have left him. Why would you raise another woman's baby? Why stay with a cheater? Ridiculous imo

Well, let's see.

No income, no job skills, no training, no formal education and no opportunities for ANY of the above. Pray tell, what should Rose have done in this pre-feminism world as an older black woman?

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, let's see.

No job, no job skills, no training, no formal education, and no opportunities for ANY of the above. Pray tell, what should Rose have done in this pre-feminism world as an older black woman?
Understood, but the lack of respect was just appalling. If everything is so good, why fool around with someone else? I saw some people leave after that, I don't blame them. I get it now. But that's toughShe deserred better.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Understood, but the lack of respect was just appalling. If everything is so good, why fool around with someone else? I saw some people leave after that, I don't blame them. I get it now. But that's toughShe deserred better.

This is why feminism is good to a degree. Black women didn't have rights or freedoms. Even when many worked, it was mainly dead-end jobs like a maid for low pay and only few was self made like C.J. Walker

@Daisy Fitzroy is on point

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Understood, but the lack of respect was just appalling.

Oh, absolutely. Troy had me HEATED!!! But...

my great-grandma was the very same situation and I didn't even know this until yesterday. My grandmother's older brother was not my GGM's first child. I knew that, but I never knew until yesterday that he was raised in that house as more of a "Nan, you got a kid to raise" kind of way, not in a "Nan, let's decide together that we're going to raise this son of mine" kind of way. My GGM's first child wasn't even her own child. This story was literally my grandmother's life and I had no idea. All four of their kids (my grandmother and her three brothers) will tell you that they were married for 52 years, which was about 50 years too long. Gran just had no other options at all.

If you think about it, that's pretty close to being true right now. It's the reason why so many abused women can't and won't leave their attackers. Women like my mother had far more options when she left my biological father. She had a good government job, an extended family and just one child. Now, take a woman with, say, two kids, and a regular 9-5 with minimum benefits and a high school education, and you can see why it's more financially stable to stay. Not to mention that men can do some seriously fukked up shyt to disrupt a woman's financial means even if she DOES leave. shyt, my mother had my father trying to fukk her life up financially and they were divorced!

If everything is so good, why fool around with someone else? I saw some people leave after that, I don't blame them.

Oooh, I was up in my feelings like Rose was MY mama. Like that review said (I'll have to find it), we could sympathize and ride w/him until Rose couldn't ride with him anymore. I know our theater kind of turned on him then. (Like I said, my theater was LIT. Yelling at the screen like Madea was about to pop out.) I can't even say that Troy was a bad husband, but he was so damn selfish. Which was why Rose's speech just wrecked me. When she broke it all down like she did, I was in tears - and I don't have a husband OR kids!

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Oh, absolutely. Troy had me HEATED!!! But...

my great-grandma was the very same situation and I didn't even know this until yesterday. My grandmother's older brother was not my GGM's first child. I knew that, but I never knew until yesterday that he was raised in that house as more of a "Nan, you got a kid to raise" kind of way, not in a "Nan, let's decide together that we're going to raise this son of mine" kind of way. My GGM's first child wasn't even her own child. This story was literally my grandmother's life and I had no idea. All four of their kids (my grandmother and her three brothers) will tell you that they were married for 52 years, which was about 50 years too long. Gran just had no other options at all.

If you think about it, that's pretty close to being true right now. It's the reason why so many abused women can't and won't leave their attackers. Women like my mother had far more options when she left my biological father. She had a good government job, an extended family and just one child. Now, take a woman with, say, two kids, and a regular 9-5 with minimum benefits and a high school education, and you can see why it's more financially stable to stay. Not to mention that men can do some seriously fukked up shyt to disrupt a woman's financial means even if she DOES leave. shyt, my mother had my father trying to fukk her life up financially and they were divorced!

Oooh, I was up in my feelings like Rose was MY mama. Like that review said (I'll have to find it), we could sympathize and ride w/him until Rose couldn't ride with him anymore. I know our theater kind of turned on him then. (Like I said, my theater was LIT. Yelling at the screen like Madea was about to pop out.) I can't even say that Troy was a bad husband, but he was so damn selfish. Which was why Rose's speech just wrecked me. When she broke it all down like she did, I was in tears - and I don't have a husband OR kids!

I need to find me a place with this type of crowd, shyt sounds lit....:laugh: