Fences (Official Thread)

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
IIRC, Mary Alice won the Tony for Best Featured Actress, which is the Broadway equivalent of a supporting role. Viola getting a Best Supporting Oscar is nothing to grumble about. (Then again, Viola got Best Actress for the same role, so... *shrug*)

I really wish that Mykelti Williamson would get some Oscar shine, because he played the ever-loving fukk out of Gabe Maxson. I wonder how many times (if any) has a person won an Oscar and a Tony for the same role? I think Viola is a lock; Denzel might be a long-shot frontrunner.

Fences...wow. You KNOW it's deep when you have grown men in the audience clapping and shouting like we're at a Tyler Perry film. Very cathartic experience for them, I think. I don't recall ever seen anything this authenticly black about black fathers and black sons.
Take the bat scene, for example. In a white film, the father and son would have come to an understanding, hugged it out, and gone inside for some dinner. But THIS movie? SHIIIIIIIIT. Old boy got the business just like any other black teenage son would have.

I'm interested, brehs: were y'all Team Troy or Team Corey during that showdown?

shyt, the white man next to me was all in his feelings like he grew up w/a black stepfather or something. (Our crowd was racially mixed. Same at Hidden Figures, surprisingly.)

Last edited:

MrRDU

Superstar
Daps
Phenomenal acting, but depressing as hell. With that being said, go see it tho

• Dap
Reactions: flo

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
fathers just have a way of talking to you with a tone that makes it clear they will fold you 100 different ways if you utter another fukking word.

i remember my pops said some shyt one time like, "the way you talking, this is only gonna end one way. whether or not you're ready for it aint gonna matter. keep talking."

ME: :dwillhuh::ohhh::jbhmm::huhldup::to:

3 HOURS LATER, AFTER MY POPS LEFT THE HOUSE: :russ::ufdup:

I always feared my dad growing up , he was old school. Typical acting up kid in grocery store my mom
Just gotta say "ima tell ya dad if you dont stop" and id be :whoa: my dad worked night/morning shift UPS loading heavy shyt for 30 years or so :heh:

:russ: i used to be a fukk up as a kid despite the great parenting but my dad, who is 2-3 inches shorter than me, and almost exactly 40 years older than me

I was bout 16 or so musta been arguing with moms n dad bout something and it escalated. My initial thought process, I can take my dad now :birdman:

He come over puts his foot on my foot (had me :merchant: , some old fight technique :merchant: i couldnt move :merchant: learned some notes on this day :myman: )

"You wanna go outside and get shytty with me :ufdup: "

:whoa: hit em with the apologies asap and bytched up quick :russ: even in my teen prime, 40 years younger, my soul knew I waa boutta get served outside if i took him on his offer :russ:

Im almost 30 years old and still remember that incident :russ:

Dont really see that now a days though, these kids act up on some wild shyt my parents never woulda tolerated :wow:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I'd like to hear more women's opinions on the relationship between VIola and Denzel in this movie...that shyt there was ROUGHHH

As a woman, I both sympathized and was frustrated with
Rose's character's decision to stick it out with Troy. Marriage is supposed to be about commitment and loyalty, even when the chips are down. But it felt like Troy took advantage of that, and was dog piling all of his mistakes on Rose's back. She's a better woman than me taking his illegitimate child and raising it. I don't know if I could have done that. I felt so bad that so much of her life was entangled in his, but then again, she chose him, so....

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
As a woman, I both sympathized and was frustrated with Rose's character's decision to stick it out with Troy. Marriage is supposed to be about commitment and loyalty, even when the chips are down. But it felt like Troy took advantage of that, and was dog piling all of his mistakes on Rose's back. She's a better woman than me taking his illegitimate child and raising it. I don't know if I could have done that. I felt so bad that so much of her life was entangled in his, but then again, she chose him, so....
If women like Rose didn't stick around to keep the family together during the 60s and 70s during Vietnam and drugs and then mass incarceration, then things would be even worse than they are now. It sucks that it was her burden to carry but those sacrifices made by women like Rose is why I'm here posting today. Her story is almost an exact replica of my grandmother.