Fences (Official Thread)

John Hull

You can’t see me!
Daps
Reppin
Studio gangstas
Oh yeah, on a scale out 1-10 easily a 9. Only complaint was since it is based on a stage play the dialogue was really thick and the scenery was limited but that was by design.

Denzel did a great job of directing, you could tell he was able to bring out the most powerful performances from the actors, everybody was on their A game. This shyt will pull the heartstrings breh... they nailed that black misery shyt. :mjcry:

More August Wilson stories will definitely be told cinematically after this one.

When I found out homeboy died in 2005 and wouldn't allow this shyt to be made until they had a black director...:wow:

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
Oh yeah, on a scale out 1-10 easily a 9. Only complaint was since it is based on a stage play the dialogue was really thick and the scenery was limited but that was by design.

Denzel did a great job of directing, you could tell he was able to bring out the most powerful performances from the actors, everybody was on their A game. This shyt will pull the heartstrings breh... they nailed that black misery shyt. :mjcry:

More August Wilson stories will definitely be told cinematically after this one.

When I found out homeboy died in 2005 and wouldn't allow this shyt to be made until they had a black director...:wow:

I read that in an article

mr x

Superstar
Daps
The real irony is that Casey Affleck is a lock to win Best Actor (yep...critics seem to think so over Denzel) yet his allegations are only really talked about after he already won some awards.

Plenty of critics/film reviewers constantly said or asked themselves "Can I or did I watch this movie without thinking about the allegations?" with Nate.

With Casey? Nope. Just enjoyed his great performance.

Now I don't know if its true or not. Just saying they determined that his issue wouldn't hurt his chances.

critics don't matter...only his peers

casey still might win...just sayin'

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
The final scene will have you reaching for the Kleenex...
:mjcry:
If you're talking about the final, final, final scene then that was one of the weaknesses of the film imo. Felt like some Hallmark Channel shyt. I teared up a few times during the movie but that part fell flat for me.

But other than that, and the film feeling very much like a stage play at times, it was great.
The acting was great, the characters were fully realized, they touched on so many still relevant themes in the black community and black family (Viola's speech about not wanting her childrens relationship to each other to reflect her own:mjcry:), and the dialogue was extremely strong.

One of the best films of the year.

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL
If you're talking about the final, final, final scene then that was one of the weaknesses of the film imo. Felt like some Hallmark Channel shyt. I teared up a few times during the movie but that part fell flat for me.

But other than that, and the film feeling very much like a stage play at times, it was great.
The acting was great, the characters were fully realized, they touched on so many still relevant themes in the black community and black family (Viola's speech about not wanting her childrens relationship to each other to reflect her own:mjcry:), and the dialogue was extremely strong.

One of the best films of the year.
Not the whole clouds separating and sun coming out bullshyt, but the young daughter and tormented son reciting his song, then the son realizing how much love he really had for his pops.... :mjcry:
that shyt hit close to home... I been to a lot of funerals of men in my family who were POS, drunks, drug addicts, convicts all kinda shyt... but in those final moments you realize how much they are apart of you, no matter how upset they made you feel at certain times, there was still some good in em...

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Not the whole clouds separating and sun coming out bullshyt, but the young daughter and tormented son reciting his song, then the son realizing how much love he really had for his pops.... :mjcry:
that shyt hit close to home... I been to a lot of funerals of men in my family who were POS, drunks, drug addicts, convicts all kinda shyt... but in those final moments you realize how much they are apart of you, no matter how upset they made you feel at certain times, there was still some good in em...

I didn't get overly emotional til that scene also. shyt really hurt. Had me tearing up on the drive home thinkin about my grandma

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I loved this. You could tell its an adaptation meant for the theatre, there were moments that didn't quite fit something small like a film, with some of the dialogue coming across a bit melodramatic and purple, but for the most part, they nailed this. If this is a peek at Denzel directing, I think we have another Clint Eastwood on our hands. This guy really knows how to capture a moment, and let character breathe and come to life. The script and acting went a long ways towards that as well. Viola Davis really put her foot in it, and I think this one of Denzel's best acting turns yet. But the guy who played their son Corey was excellent as well.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting it to be this funny, or for Denzel's character to be so morally grey, so those things were a pleasant surprise. But what I liked most about this film is how real these people felt. So far, this is movie #2 of the year for me, right behind Moonlight, at least right now. Checking out Manchester and LaLa Land later this week, but I don't see how they can top those two.

9 out of 10, only because parts of this really feel like it belongs on a stage.