Federal Judge Sides With Mo’Nique in Pending Discrimination Lawsuit Against Netflix

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
To make it this far is commendable:
Oscar-winning actress and comedian Monique Hicks' discrimination lawsuit against Netflix can move forward, according to a U.S. District Court judge. Hicks, who goes by Mo'Nique, claims the streamer discriminated against her on the basis of her race and gender when they offered to pay her $500,000 in 2018 for a comedy special, a fraction of the tens of millions of dollars Netflix paid for specials from other comedians including Amy Schumer, Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle. Mo'Nique further alleges Netflix retaliated against her when she complained about the "discriminatory low-ball offer" by refusing to negotiate fair pay with her.

In his decision, Judge André Birotte Jr wrote, "Mo'Nique plausibly alleges that, after she spoke out and called her initial offer discriminatory, Netflix retaliated against her by shutting down its 'standard practice of negotiating in good faith that typically results in increased monetary compensation....'"

Bbbbuutt “Civil rights and negotiation though “
:comeon:@TL15

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@TL15 you were really going hard for Netflix. Noted.
:patrice:
Clearly you didn’t research before you started your diatribe- defending white male corporate execs are you now??
Netflix loses motion to dismiss Mo'Nique's race and gender bias lawsuit
Netflix loses motion to dismiss Mo'Nique's race and gender bias lawsuit

A federal judge has denied Netflix's second motion to dismiss a race and gender discrimination lawsuit from comedian Mo'Nique, who alleges in the suit that the $500,000 the streaming service offered her in 2017 for a standup special "wreaked of discrimination" and "perpetuated the pay gap suffered by Black women" and that her business dealings with Netflix "ended with a blacklisting act of retaliation."

“Mo’Nique plausibly alleges that, after she spoke out and called her initial offer discriminatory, Netflix retaliated against her by shutting down its standard practice of negotiating in good faith that typically results in increased monetary compensation beyond the ‘opening offer’ and denying her increased compensation as a result," said Judge Andre Birotte Jr. Wednesday, according to court documents. "While Netflix argues that the novelty of Mo’Nique’s claim and the absence of on-point legal authority for it should bar her retaliation claims outright, the Court disagrees."

A Netflix representative told NPR "we do not have anyone available at this time" for comment.
:mjlol::mjlol:

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
He’s from Whitesville, Alabama and approx 25- 55 yrs. old. Last known occupation was trolling around message boards cackling while pretending to be black, wearing a white hood with a swastika stamped on his forearm, and confederate flag on his pick up truck.

lol you funny

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Are you serious you can file a lawsuit for any damn reason.
False. I used the wrong term and i can't remember the right one (sipping) but you do, in fact, have to prove the shyt happened to you and show damages before the judge even considers the case.

Ie, i can't sue bloomingdale's even tho they racist and i have shopped there. I have to prove they did it to me specifically.

@Nicole0416, what is that called?

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I’m not mad at her fighting for what she feels is right, but she’s delusional to make comparisons to Jerry Seinfeld, Amy Schumer, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, or any other comedians she may have named that received more money. She simply doesn’t have the body of work to support her claims.
But apparently that’s not up for the general public to decide since a federal judge decided that her case has merit based on her complaint, if you actually read the court filing.
:francis:
There’s a component of her lawsuit that stipulates that she was essentially blacklisted from engaging in forms of work beneficial to her career and impacted her ability to further her acting career. None of those people you listed earned an Oscar either.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
False. I used the wrong term and i can't remember the right one (sipping) but you do, in fact, have to prove the shyt happened to you and show damages before the judge even considers the case.

Ie, i can't sue bloomingdale's even tho they racist and i have shopped there. I have to prove they did it to me specifically.

Yeah it can’t be a frivolous lawsuit. There has to be evidence of differential treatment and racial profiling. Proof that your rights were infringed on and unduly restricted as a result of discrimination and stereotypes
https://digitalcommons.tourolaw.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1246&context=scholarlyworks
For example, the black man hat sued his cleaners because they lost his pants. That case was proven to be without merit.
Judge Who Sued Dry Cleaner For $54 Million Over Missing Pants About To Get Wedgie From Disciplinary Committee – Above the Law

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...315db8-2d98-11e6-9de3-6e6e7a14000c_story.html

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

It not does take much proof in a civil Lawsuit. Most big companies or organizations or people just settle cases that they feel will bring the bad publicity.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
I wouldn’t doubt she has something, but a few thoughts come to mind, if she did a National tour would she do numbers, possibly, but i can’t imagine it’s the same as Chappell or Seinfeld. She could have filmed it on her own, then bring it to them and work out the numbers, so she could get paid on the back end. This is a case of winning the battle but losing the war, she may walk away with a small settlement, but she’s so radioactive that no one will work with her

Daps
you don’t know my life :myman:

but anyway, I would’ve sided with her if she went to Diddy and just did a special with Revolt. I actually really enjoy her comedy, love her perspective, she reminds me of one of my favorite aunties :mjlol:

I’m ALL for black independence. I would pay for a Mo’nique special just to support her. I don’t believe in litigation in these senses. I think it sets a really bad precedence and can lead to a slippery slope.

her right as an American to go through the courts, we can see how it plays out :yeshrug:

She ain't asking to be paid just cause folks support her. She's asking to be paid what she's worth.

There are plenty of black women in Hollywood that aren't paid what their contemporaries are paid.

Viola Davis even talked about how networks and execs always tell her she's the black Meryl Streep and how they thought so little of her intelligence to tell her something like that while paying her a fraction of what they pay Meryl Streep

This ain't the hill to die on breh. I wasnt on Monique's side when she first raised this issue but after listening to her interviews and understanding where she's coming from, she's right.

She's forcing companies to make a legal precedent. Either way it goes, she got them by the balls

They either have to admit they are wrong and pay her and other black women what they're worth OR they have to go on record admitting their discrimination which will cause them to look extremely funny in the light.

MECCA1000

All Star
Daps
Netflix offered Wanda Sykes even less than Mo'nique in 2017 and she passed without complaining. Took her special, which was already made and ready to go, over to Epix.
In 2019 Netflix made a 7 figure offer that she accepted.

I say all that to say this, I personally think Mo over reacted as if Netflix was the only game in town. Plus, all the cats that she mentioned came with their special already made. She still has a up hill battle ahead of her