Federal Judge Sides With Mo’Nique in Pending Discrimination Lawsuit Against Netflix

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
bubu they gave big checks to [BLACK ENTERTAINER] is akin to bubu I have Black friends/spouse/kids...it's lazy and a cowardly argument for not siding with a person that's asking a company what's their criteria, especially after the support in Byron Allen case
this popular conditional activism doesn't support claims of being a target of whatever conspiratorial entities

Daps
This is being looked at as she won her argument and it’s not. Netflix told the judge:

Netflix: Yo’ judge, this bih crazy...let’s not waste the court’s time arguing this dumb shyt...just throw this case out. :feedme:

Judge: Nah, this will go to trial and we’ll hear both sides. :win:

That’s all this is so I don’t know why people acting vindicated for saying Monique was discriminated against. They haven’t discussed the merits of her argument, just the right for it to be heard.

the article is misleading and written by someone who doesn’t understand the federal court system. They now get to move to discovery, which I think kills the case at summary judgment stage.

The depositions aren’t going to go well.

Mo’s Lawyer: Netflix, why didn’t you offer Mo’Nique more money?

Netflix: She won an Oscar in 2009 and hasn’t really done much since. No $100 million dollar movies, no sold out touring, no other specials. In fact the numbers we have for her specials that are already on Netflix are low. She also had no other competing offers....

Mo’s Lawyer: but you have that unfunny woman with no Oscar $13 million, why?

Netflix: Tangible history. Successful show on Comedy Central, highly rated special on HBO about a year prior, sold out Madison square garden twice, sold out a global stadium tour as the main act, and had a $100 million dollar movie against a low budget. She’s not similarly situated to Mo’Nique.

Mo’s Lawyer: what do all those numbers have to do with why she got more money. Mo is a legend, with an Oscar.

Netflix: How come she ain’t got no other offers, from other companies. Surely if she was in demand and wanted to reasonably negotiate, someone would have offered her more money. Do you have those offers so we can compare

mo’s lawyer: she’s a legend though

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
bubu they gave big checks to [BLACK ENTERTAINER] is akin to bubu I have Black friends/spouse/kids...it's lazy and a cowardly argument for not siding with a person that's asking a company what's their criteria, especially after the support in Byron Allen case
this popular conditional activism doesn't support claims of being a target of whatever conspiratorial entities

not even remotely the same. When someone uses the "I have black friends" argument they are using it to combat perceived or alleged discrimination/racism. Its to say "I couldnt have been racist cause I associate with black people all the time." Thats a bad faith argument because it undermines the notion that both cant be true. You can dislike most blacks and like a few. A racist having a black friend makes that black friend an exception to their general mindset of racism. Here, Monique is just flat out reaching. Can we honestly say Netflix giving big bags to other black comedians is an exception to the rule that they underpay and undervalue black comics in most instances compared to their counterparts? If I remember correctly their highest paid comic deals of to date have been given to black comics.She claims she isnt being offered legitimate money because she is a black woman. Netflix has offered black women legitimate money. There is no grey area here. This is a fact. And Monique and her legal team knows this which is why she is trying to attack Netflix using a legal theory of retaliation, under the contention that netflix retaliated against her initial boycott complaints by choosing not to further negotiate. Case shouldve been dismissed. Even if there is racial intent you cant just force a company to pay you what you think you deserve. Type of shyt is that? lol

Last edited:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
the article is misleading and written by someone who doesn’t understand the federal court system. They now get to move to discovery, which I think kills the case at summary judgment stage.

The depositions aren’t going to go well.

Mo’s Lawyer: Netflix, why didn’t you offer Mo’Nique more money?

Netflix: She won an Oscar in 2009 and hasn’t really done much since. No $100 million dollar movies, no sold out touring, no other specials. In fact the numbers we have for her specials that are already on Netflix are low. She also had no other competing offers....

Mo’s Lawyer: but you have that unfunny woman with no Oscar $13 million, why?

Netflix: Tangible history. Successful show on Comedy Central, highly rated special on HBO about a year prior, sold out Madison square garden twice, sold out a global stadium tour as the main act, and had a $100 million dollar movie against a low budget. She’s not similarly situated to Mo’Nique.

Mo’s Lawyer: what do all those numbers have to do with why she got more money. Mo is a legend, with an Oscar.

Netflix: How come she ain’t got no other offers, from other companies. Surely if she was in demand and wanted to reasonably negotiate, someone would have offered her more money. Do you have those offers so we can compare

mo’s lawyer: she’s a legend though

Yup and once they talk about what they consider an ROI and show how it informs their investment strategy it’s a wrap.

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
not even remotely the same. When someone uses the "I have black friends" argument they are using it to combat perceived or alleged discrimination/racism. Its to say "I couldnt have been racist cause I associate with black people all the time." Thats a bad faith argument because it undermines the notion that both cant be true. You can dislike most blacks and like a few. A racist having a black friend makes that black friend an exception to their general mindset of racism. Here, Monique is just flat out reaching. Can we honestly say Netflix giving big bags to other black comedians is an exception to the rule that they underpay and undervalue black comics in most instances compared to their counterparts? If I remember correctly their highest paid comic deals of to date have been given to black comics.She claims she isnt being offered legitimate money because she is a black woman. Netflix has offered black women legitimate money. There is no grey area here. This is a fact. And Monique and her legal team knows this which is why she is trying to attack Netflix using a legal theory of retaliation, under the contention that netflix retaliated against her initial boycott complaints by choosing not to further negotiate. Case shouldve been dismissed. Even if there is racial intent you cant just force a company to pay you what you think you deserve. Type of shyt is that? lol
Referencing the race of friend/spouse OR talent hired is attempt to prove "I'm not racist"

Daps
Yup and once they talk about what they consider an ROI and show how it informs their investment strategy it’s a wrap.

I think what’s really gonna fukk her is how she reacted to the first offer. There are no details on what she thought the counter offer should have been. Just that they offered 1/2 million and she was talking Schumer money. If thats the jump she wanted, there’s not really a point in continuing negotiation.

I honestly think Tyler Perry’d deal may kill her case all together. Dude shot a movie w/ basically no budget in 6 days and put up numbers. And has a built in audience of people who love his work and even more people who hate watch it.

1LurkerChick9

All Star
Daps
After thinking on this a bit,
It’s worth noting that the legendary Wanda Sykes felt she was lowballed as well.One could argue that she has had a career on par with Chris Rock

The gender pay gap is REAL in most industries,including Hollywood.
Viola Davis has gone on record on this many times

No, Mo’Nique is not on the level of those I mentioned, but her claims of pay discrimination are most likely valid, considering her sex and race and industry.

Black folks really need to do some inner reflection about why a black woman fighting for more and not just settling provokes such visceral reactions amongst us

Daps
It’s worth noting that the legendary Wanda Sykes felt she was lowballed as well.One could argue that she has had a career on par with Chris Rock

What exactly has Wanda Sykes done that makes her career comparable to Rock? She’s had a few bit parts in movies, a handful of well received specials, and a successful career as a writer. But I don’t think she’s anywhere close.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether

No, Mo’Nique is not on the level of those I mentioned, but her claims of pay discrimination are most likely valid, considering her sex and race and industry.

Black folks really need to do some inner reflection about why a black woman fighting for more and not just settling provokes such visceral reactions amongst us

I like Wanda Sykes

If I was scrolling thru Netflix and I saw a special she shot last night, I would make a mental note of it and perhaps turn it on when I just had nothing happening for a couple of hours.

If I HEARD Chis Rock dropped a special, I would go straight home and find that shyt and play it right then. If someone called I would call them back after

Wanda is no Chris Rock

People get this idea that their personal situation is their G-d given right and the rest of the world is some kind of social services agency that is there to facilitate them.

Facebook HAS to respect MY page. ITS MY PAGE!!!

No its not.

Netflix HAS to hire me cause all the other comedians are doing specials. Ima comedian. I had a TV show in the 90s. I DESERVE the same thing they are getting

Its like these incel mfs that think they deserve to be fukcing the prom queen

One clue that you're doing it wrong is if you're forcing yourself on someone

What you do - if you DESERVE to have a special. If you're a draw. You're hot. People wanna hear you. You make your own got damn special. If Netflix don't want it then HBO will... IF YOURE SUCH A FUKCING ****LEGEND****

and you

******DESERVE******

this top billing. Your product would sell itself.

What's next, she gonna sue me for not watching the shyt?

So if zero people have offers that you think are acceptable... is the entire world wrong about you or are your perceptions of yourself askew

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
I’m not mad at her fighting for what she feels is right, but she’s delusional to make comparisons to Jerry Seinfeld, Amy Schumer, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, or any other comedians she may have named that received more money. She simply doesn’t have the body of work to support her claims.
I think the confusing part of her argument is who is she claiming Netflix is discriminating against? Is it black people? But the she mentions Dave and Chris Rock getting paid. Is it women? She mentions Amy Schumer getting paid. Is it specifically black women? She doesn't mention her but they gave Tiffany Haddish her own show.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, essentially, Monique is being punished for not having a white audience. By the numbers, if we only 13%, there's literally no way any artist who caters to a black audience will ever be viable on Netflix, the largest and most dynamic content aggregator of our period, akin to all cable channels in one, damn near a utility at this point.
How big is Katt Williams' white audience? Mike Epps? DeRay Davis? Sommore?

And again, you stating that Monique only caters to a small part of the population is the reason she's not getting paid as much as the top money getters. It's not punishment if a person that can only fill a 300 person venue doesn't get as much as the people that can fill arenas, that's logical.

Lupe isn't going to get paid as much as Drake, Kendrick, Jay, even if you could make the argument that he's a better rapper, that he had a big album 10+ years ago and won a Grammy. At this point of his career, only a small group of people are listening to him. However you feel about Drake, Kendrick or Jay as rappers, a bunch of people like their shyt, spend money on their shyt, that's why they get paid.

Last edited: