O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
:laff:

Fear the Walking Dead Is Back, and It's Still Terrible

cusedgji1psj4oiofs5x.jpg

I was not a fan of the first season of Fear the Walking Dead. The pace was incredibly slow, character development predictable, and a few moments of glory aside, it simply bored me. For those reasons, I was both dreading the season two premiere, while also retaining a shred of optimism. Maybe the team behind the show would realize their mistakes and see the light! Sadly, it’s still a catastrophe.

The second season of Fear the Walking Dead begins with a simultaneously intriguing and disappointing opening scene. The cast is ready to head out to Strand’s boat, which was teased at the end of the first season. However, gone is the quiet, serene beach community of last season’s finale. Now, the beach—and all of Los Angeles—is on fire. There’s suddenly extreme urgency to get to Strand’s boat before things get worse. Zombies are attacking everyone on the beach, heads are shattered with rocks. Nick attempts a daring rescue and chops up a zombie’s face with the boat motor before everyone gets away. Exciting, right? Gory, right? Cool John Carpenter-esque score, right? All of those things.

But wait. How did LA start to burn? Why this urgency all of a sudden? It feels like between seasons, something really epic and interesting happened. And yet,Fear the Walking Dead decided to skip it—the show totally ignores and runs away from the interesting. In a show that’s supposed to document the fall of Los Angeles as a microcosm for the degradation of the world as a whole, we skip over what could have been the best part. But I guess, why would we want to see Los Angeles actually fall, right? Let’s get our characters on to a boat so they can brood for 50 minutes.

From the opening until the episode’s final five minutes, there’s very little substance or action in the season two premiere. Yes, Chris punches his father Travis for killing his mother. They dump her body into the ocean. Strand decides not to help a lot of other people on the ocean. Nick declares that he is good at medical stuff. Alicia meets some guy named Jack on the radio. Daniel catches an eel while fishing. They all share a nice meal.

But, as has been the case from the beginning on Fear the Walking Dead, none of this really feels important. There’s no weight to it. The show does almost nothing to make us care about characters or to move the plot forward. A boy is mad his mother died. A lonely girl makes a friend. A survivor acts selfishly. It’s all just the most basic, predictable shyt imaginable. In a single episode, the characters can’t even make it 100 miles to San Diego.

The big problem with Fear the Walking Dead is that these characters are flat. None of them are particularly distinctive. They’re just normal people. Flawed? Scared? Yes! But ultimately normal. They’re the background characters on the Atlanta Walking Dead. Characters who are disposable in a big action scene. Only Fear the Walking Dead doesn’t have those, so everyone survives.

To be fair, in a quality scene that felt a little World War Z (the book not the movie), there are zombies swimming in the ocean at the end of the episode as the cast encounters a capsized boat. That was kind of cool. Was this the work of Alicia’s mysterious Jack? Is that who is coming for them?

Hold up, though. Do we care? Not really. I had hoped, after an off-season for reflection, Fear the Walking Dead would’ve started with some surprising character or plot choices. But no, it’s just more of the same. After the first season, and now this episode, nothing has changed except the setting.

I’m sure there’s a passionate argument to be made that I’m totally wrong in this assessment. A deep dive could reveal these seemingly innocuous characters and actions actually mean something greater. But I’d have to be invested to do that, and I’m just not.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/fear-the-wal...m_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=io9_twitter

This is my problem with the show. It's nothing but broken promises.

They said we're gonna see society break down, they said we're gonna start at the very start, they said a lot and didn't back it up. It's hard watching this show because for six seasons we've been told and seen what not to do, to rewind to the start and see these folks fumbling and bumbling around is just :ld: I'm all for Sealab Strand but they gotta pick up the pace.
Article basically summed the show up

We sat there for 50 minutes watching them sit around doing nothing, talk, argue, cry, pout, bytch, moan, etc... Like there was no purpose or sense of urgency to get to where they need to go. Then they do something completely stupid and pointless (swimming in the ocean) and the only interesting part is if they get to San Diego then what and who is Jack and what's he going to do..

And then in the preview of the next episode, it's them sitting around and talking about bullshyt again

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Leave it up to a junkie to go looking for shyt to barter when the world gone to hell

Because crackheads survive damn near anything cept an OD. They have adaptability, and he gonna teach them how to scavenge and pillage for his livelihood.

safe to say, he certainly won't be dying anytime soon.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
So this thread is really gonna be full of dumb nikkas wondering why people act the way they do at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse?:why:
eat a dikk

and stop throwing a p*ssy fit
when people point out the obvious bad acting

but the fact YOU like it says it all:wow:
nikkas crying about acting when most of walking deads early season seemed like some b- rated cheap film :mjlol:

crying
nikkas clowning this boring ass shyt:manny:
but i guess we hurting your feelings:wow:

Last edited:

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
almost got interested and it ended...gave me memories of my quiet :camby: of this show last season...

if Negan didnt have me so in my feelings i wouldnt have even watched this episode :mjlol:

also every shot of the boat in water looked fake as fukk. it looked like they were right on the shore next to land and cgi'd everything to look like it was all water...had glimpses of that horrible submarine on Lost in the final season.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Strand is the nikka we needed on TWD.

This. Dude is literally the bizarro world version of Tyrese. Dude is like "fukk everybody" and pushes the throttle on the yacht with an expressionless face :aicmon:. Every man for their goddamn self. stand just need to be focused on gas for the boat, supplies, a decent piece of p*ssy and regulating. Dude blessed them with a fly crib and Malibu and a yacht, so what more could they ask for.

And the Mowgli-looking son is a straight up bytch for not wanting to leave his dead mama's body behind when the damn beach was crawling with walkers. The bytch knew she was gonna turn and took the bullet to the head. Her son needed to man up and help that old man catch some fukkin fish

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
I find myself being really irritated by these people...

Just how naive they are... After how cut throat The Walking Dead was...I'm not sure I can make it thru this season

These dumbasses (except Strand and the old man) would be perfect for the pre-Rick crew of Alexandria residents. It's literally the end of the world and they somehow think that life will resume as normal after a couple of weekends

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
So this thread is really gonna be full of dumb nikkas wondering why people act the way they do at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse?:why:
My issue isn't that they are doing stupid shyt...this is a horror property so it is required that people act stupid in order for the story to move along. My issue is all the other behavior issues...these people do not act like they are in the beginning of the end of the world. They keep writing the kids like this isn't a zombie show and all of the children are acting like obnoxious twats. And the relationship between the white chick from Deadwood and Bully from Once Were Warriors is not interesting at all and all of the attempts to write for them as a couple fall flat.

Also using this being the start of the zombie apocalypse to continue to make these characters act in ways that completely annoy the audience i not a smart move. We as viewers are well-versed in zombie horror so at a certain point the excuse of "this is the beginning" will get tired and start to turn people off. It is a tight rope that I really don't think these writers are capable of walking without falling to their deaths.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
What is it with these shows and making people lack common sense? The comic is good maybe it doesn't translate into TV as well... I don't know... They need George A Romero to come in and write these characters or something.

Some of the sh-t these characters do is beyond idiotic and they are completely unreasonable. Also they are trying to make Strand unlikeable but he's the only one who knows what he's doing and he doesn't spend entire episodes whining about sh-t.....we get it your mom is dead and you're upset, is that an excuse to get your father killed trying to save you while everything around you is clearly burning to sh-t???

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
I need this group to feel like shyt is hopeless...Like they are in serious dire straits.

I need them to realize their conditions and that shyt is not gonna get better, so they better adapt.

Until they hit that wall, I think I'm gonna continue to be pissed off by this show.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
where do you live in which crackheads are some kind of top level survivalist:what:there symptoms from withdrawal alone will would make them a liberality and i fail to see how their skillsset(stealing from family/neighbors and sucking crack dealers dikk) would aid themselves or others in a zombie apocalypse:comeon:

You don't have neighborhood crackheads of 20-30 years, where you live? Homeless, wanderers, mostly insane, but always got some ish to sell you or ready to do a job for a could of dollars? Their skillset is survival on the streets, with minimum to no resources. And even with withdrawal, in the zombie apocalypse, they'll only transpose their addiction on to something else.

People are complaining about the acting and annoying kids? Most of the viewers in season 1, wanted the following cast members gone - T-Dog, Lori, Andrea, Carol, Carl & Sophia, Ed, Glenn, Dale, Andrea's sister. This isn't anything new.